“Best service, value, and location in Birmingham!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of aloft Birmingham Soho Square

aloft Birmingham Soho Square
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Dallas, Texas
“Best service, value, and location in Birmingham!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I lived in Birmingham for 12 years, and could have stayed with friends, but hated to subject any host to my irregular schedule....especially at 5:30AM. When I walked into the Aloft with no reservation, I expected to be told "sorry!"

Instead, the night clerk worked hard to find me a room -- they were totally booked but had 2 last minute cancellations -- and patiently waited for me to work my way through customer service so I could pay with my points. (That didn't work out and I ended up just asking him to charge me for the room.)

When I arrived at my room, however, it was less than clean and far below the standard of other Alofts I've stayed at. I shared my concerns the next morning and the morning manager couldn't have been more helpful and sweet about it.

Other friends stayed at the hotel on the same weekend, and had a similarly fantastic experience with the front desk.

Our only tip is that the hotel should stock a first aid kit...we needed a bandaid and ended up running out to the nearby grocery store. (Everything is close to this location! Some of the best sushi in Birmingham? Done. Across the street - Jinsei. Birmingham's best desserts? Done. Same block -- Pastry Art Connection's baby bites. Shopping? You're in downtown Homewood, go a block down to 21st Ave for a whole strip of boutiques. Work? Less than 10 minutes from downtown!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Carolyn L.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be helpful. Thank you for the tip about the first aid kit; I will be sure and pass that information along to the management team. We hope to see you back at our hotel for another stay soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Recently, we have called on the services of the management of Aloft for a very diverse group of guests for a social event. Let me tell you they hit the ground running. Energetic, full of ideas and helpful tips to insure that their guests receive the best that they can possibly do.

The hotel is situated in Homewood, a quiet and quaint suburb of Birmingham full of great places to eat, drink and shop. Walking across the street or no more than 5 blocks away, are a dazziling array of excellent choices for just about whatever you might need. And it is secure, well lit and fun.
The staff knows well the choices that can be walked easily and the everything else is no more than 15 minutes away by car.
This is an excellent choice, priced attractively and comfortable for all made even better by the staff who are full of professional Southern charm.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mercerbabydrumondco
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Mercerbabydrumondco,

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are thrilled that our staff was helpful and made your stay memorable. We hope you come back again the next time you are in the area.
Stonington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I like this chain and I like this hotel in particular. The area is a convenient little village and you can find a few local restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. Parking has been exceptinally convenient everytime I've beem here.
I've stayed here several times and will do so on future visits to Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Dennis U,

Thank you for review and for your loyalty to our hotel. We are glad you find our location and our parking convenient. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Birmingham.
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My family and I enjoyed staying at this hotel.
We have family nearby, so it is easy for them to visit.
You can walk to restaurants.
We felt safe in the area.
We will consdier staying here again.
The service was good, as were the amenities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Amanda D,

Thank you for your positive review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our hotel amenities. We hope you consider us when visiting your family in the future.
kidsmom36
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My daughter and I visited for the first time and we loved this hotel. The rooms were very spacious and the beds were so comfortable. The shower was awesome!!! The hotel was spotless. It's the cleanest hotel I've ever been in. The location is great and so easy to find. The pool was very relaxing and the fitness center had everything we needed. There was plenty of parking in the garage and surrounding the hotel. The food was great, especially breakfast. We loved hanging out in the Lobby because it had a great vibe....great music playing, big comfortable chairs/sofas and a pool table! Very close to everything Birmingham has to offer. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and we can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear kidsmom36,

Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding your recent stay. We are thrilled you had such a great time and enjoy all of our hotel features. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are here.
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here two nights for a weekend getaway. I had never heard of Aloft before, but now know it is everywhere. We loved the vibe at this hotel. Not luxury, but very well appointed and quite "hip". Loved the lobby. The staff were great, and very accommodating. We loved this area for quaint shoppes and antiquing. Great hotel. Would make a point to stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TLozano, Starwood Hotels at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Nicole,

Thank you for your positive comments. We are delighted you have discovered the Aloft brand and enjoyed our accommodations. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our first time staying at a ALOFT, and will NOT be our last! The front door staff was very polite and helpful. the decor reminds me of MIAMI. The room was very clean with a great view and the bed was extremely comfortable. The only con was the bartender working Saturday June 29th at night was not very pleasant.

Room Tip: stay in a corner room. Very large.