“Nice Starwood option just outside of Birmingham”

aloft Birmingham Soho Square
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Redwood City, CA
“Nice Starwood option just outside of Birmingham”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Sheraton in Birmingham and really did not like it - very poor location, no vibe, etc. Thankfully I found the Aloft. I travel to Birmingham frequently and only stay at this Aloft. The hotel is located in what is basically the (safe) downtown of an upscale residential area just outside of Birmingham (less than a 10.00 cab ride) and probably 20 minutes from the airport. Downtown Homewood has a few restaurants/bars/taverns and quite a few clothing boutiques and antique stores, which I think is the big draw to Homewood for people who do not live there.

The Aloft also has its own lobby bar and a nice restaurant attached to the hotel, both of which attract many locals in addition to hotel guests. There is generally always a vibe/scene in the lobby area consisting of locals and guests of all ages and backgrounds. The lobby area is designed to feel like a big casual lounge, which in addition to the bar includes a pool table area, as well as a fireplace area with plenty of couch seating and nooks from which to socialize/people-watch. The hotel desk staff and bar staff are absolutely top notch. The Aloft has the most sincere and friendliest team of people I have encountered at any hotel.

The rooms are not the main attraction of the hotel, however they are totally in line with what a reasonable traveler should expect for the rate. The rooms have a minimalist design and as noted elsewhere do not have dresser drawers. There is open shelving and a closet hanging rod that can be concealed with a curtain. If you designed a hotel room using Ikea it might turn out to feel similar to the Aloft rooms. The rooms are clean and the cleaning staff friendly.

I highly recommend this hotel as a great Starwood option in the Birmingham area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank reinsiedl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Spring, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm a member of Starwood Preferred and saw this hotel on their site. Looked beautiful and modern as well as advertised that there was no need to bring your charging for devices as they had a central "charger" in the room. When we got there we walked into our room the safe didnt work, and the "central charging station" that they bragged about turned out to be just a hub for all of you chargers! Next day didnt improve as the coffee pot was broken. View from the room was the police station/jail. All in all not an impressive first impression. Beds were comfy though.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
AloftHomewood, Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Cheryl C,

I am sorry that your first impression of Aloft Birmingham Soho Square was disappointing. We pride ourselves in delivering accurate information through all of our outlets. I have looked into all of your comments, and we will explore new opportunities to deliver the best features and accommodations in the future. We always strive to improve upon our guest experiences and I appreciate your feedback so that we can exceed your expectations. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance the next time you travel to Birmingham.

James Glass
Operations Manager
USA
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Pros: Good location in Homewood, walkable to many restaurants/bars/shopping in the neighborhood. Convenient to downtown/280 corridor. Newer property, clean rooms, quiet area. Rates are always reasonable for the accomodations. Nice lobby/bar/courtyard area.
Cons: Not really too much to complain about here. Maybe the breakfast options could be better, but I usually skip it and go elsewhere anyway.
Verdict: I've stayed here multiple times & would stay here again. This is typically my first choice when travelling to Birmingham.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AloftHomewood, Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for the "thumbs up" MRMAGOO!

We pride ourselves on offering outstanding service and accommodations, and I appreicate guests that take the time to let us know how we are doing. I will share your comments with the team, and do what we can to improve in the areas you noted. We look forward to seeing you the next time travel brings you to Birmingham!

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2013

It's a nice comptemporary hotel. Beds were comfortable. The water could've been a little hotter for we stayed there in mid January and it would've been nicer. I did not like the fact that the a/c unit is right across from one of the beds. If the person sleeps in that second bed you will get either very cold or very hot.
We did not have a chance to partake in the complimentary breakfast, but it seems as it is a normal cereal, fruit and pastries.
Overall it was an ok experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback, Dana I!!

I truly appreciate when guests take the time to share their experience at the Aloft Birmingham Soho Square. I'm so glad you were comfortable, and we look forward to seeing you the next time travel brings you to Birmingham.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is going for hip chic. It comes off as cheap and cold. The rooms from pillows,linens,matress are all uncomfortable. Not luxurious at all. There is only a desk chair in the room so if you want to read you are out of luck except for the bed. There is no bathtub and no drawers to put your clothes in. There are reading lights above the bed. They are controlled by one switch on one side of one bed. So if one person wants to read and the other doesn't guess what it's like a spotlight shining down on you u til you ask your roommate to turn out the light. Who thought of that? The common areas were dirty. The staff was ok but not real friendly. It was more like a budget hotel that costs what a 4 or 5 star would cost. Totally not worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank acorn2006
Dear acom2006:

I'm so sorry your stay here at the Aloft Birmingham Soho Square was disappointing. I have reviewed all of your comments, and will investigate opportunities to remedy the situations. We are proud of our service and accommodations, but there is always room for improvement. I truly appreciate the feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of further assistance the next time travel brings you to Birmingham.

SIncerely,

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was a perfect place as a one nigh "layover". The rooms were nicely done, modern and large screen TV in between the windows. Pricing was perfect as was the location as it was just a few miles in from the south part of Birmingham. They had free parking, great food bar with plenty of choices for breakfast or late night snack. The front desk staff was attentive and we felt welcome right away. I would stay there again, for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AloftHomewood, General Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We strive to offer outstanding service and accommodations, and I will definitely share your comments with the team. We look forward to seeing you the next time travel brings you to Birmingham.

Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

At the end of a 5000 mile driving trip with two small poodles, we were delighted to find this small chic hotel in Birmingham. Although its obvious appeal was to younger professionals, it nonetheless proved welcoming to us older folks as well as to children. The rooms are quite spacious, rather like big city loft apartments; the decor is imaginative, and the staff friendly. We especially appreciated management's interest in conservation as evidenced, for instance, by the inconspicuous recycling containers in the rooms and public spaces. Neat bar area, way-above-average "snack" shop, convenient covered parking. Travelers wanting an alternative lodging experience will be pleased with this establishment.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Malcolm M:

Wow! 5000 thousand miles is a lot of driving. I'm sure it was an adventure with the poodles along. We LOVE pets! Thank you so much for your feedback, and I will definitely share your comments with my team.

We look forward to seeing you the next time travel brings you to or through BIrmingham!

Elaine Powell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Mountain Brook
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham
Redmont Hotel Birmingham, Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook, Autograph Collection
Courtyard Birmingham Homewood
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast

Been to aloft Birmingham Soho Square? Share your experiences!