“Great stay for business & fun!”

aloft Birmingham Soho Square
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I actually stayed in this hotel off and on for a grand total of 9 weeks from January 2011 to May 2011 for business. I loved that there are various dining options within very close walking distance from the hotel. I liked that the hotel bar was open until midnight. I liked that the hotel caters to the "tech savvy" in that each room has an ipod hookup that allows you to listen to your ipod via the TV (not to mention wi-fi in the lobby, ipod hookups on the workout equipment, etc). The rooms were clean, sleek and had a small "dorm fridge" which was awesome for keeping waters and snacks in the room. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The hotel staff is amazing - they took time to learn my name during my stay and always greeted each guest with a smile. I even returned a month later to the area for a personal trip and we stayed at this hotel. If you are looking for a young, hip hotel vibe this is your place!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the parking garage. Also, I think rooms that end in
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jenlized

Reviewed June 23, 2011

I'm not a fan of drop of the moment trips because they typically involve me rushing to find someone to watch my dog. My boyfriend and I recently decided just such a trip was necesary a few weeks ago.....this time however we seemed to strike oil when we found the aloft in Birmingham.

This hotel offers the contemporary, clean setting we crave when we travel as well as an outstanding pet policy. All pets are welcomed with a treats, bowls and a few toys. It was incredible!! Typically you can't take even take a pet with you on your trips and here they went above and beyond to make us and our furry family friend comfortable and welcomed.

Thanks ALOFT, I've already recommended your hotel to every one of my friends, some of which have already made their future plans to visit nearby cities.

Room Tip: search for pet friendly hotel options
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I arrived late and was greeted at the front desk with a smile from the two gentlemen at the desk. My room was very clean and the hotel staff was very friendly. My stay as I titled the review was tremendous and I would love to come and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I was excited to stay there, the check-in employee Krerstan, (sorry if spelled wrong) was great also the engineer that fixed the window shade.
Great location convienant to everywhere, although they charged me consistantly for everything, and were consistently asking what room we were in. Paid over $5.00 for a cup of quaker oatmeal and banana, though the free coffee was a nice touch. Spoke to other guests they were also of the same mind set .
I suggested charging guests for lunch and late night, since their "grab and go" looked great , but I never recieved a reply from a manager or even an acknowledgement.

Had problems with the tax-exempt, I was told that they had to charge the taxes due to the county. Well, another hotel I stayed in a week or so before (about a mile away) in the same county didn't have a problem with this, when presented with proper ID and paperwork. Is it to difficult to remove taxes from a guests folio?

I stated how unhappy I was to one of the front desk employees, the desk manager never got in touch with me, this was rather dissapointing especially since I have worked in hotels for 10 years and understood how important this issue was to the guest, but maybe not to this hotel. In three days I had a backache and since then from using their horrid beds.

In conclusion if you are looking for a hotel that is interested in guests returning and want their impression of the hotel, then by all means, choose another one this hotel is not it.

Andrew Miller
Austin Texas

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank awmiller
Reviewed March 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at the aloft last weekend for our anniversary. We wanted a nice quiet unique hotel and we found it at aloft! The service was wonderful and the room was clean and modern. We did not once have noise from a neighbor or the music from the lobby(which was not as loud as some of the reviews had said.) Now that being said we do not believe it is a hotel made for travelers with children. Mostly it seems like a very trendy place to stay for people just wanting a different kind of hotel from the holiday inns and every other traditional hotel. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed: March 2011
AloftHomewood, General Manager at aloft Birmingham Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We pride ourselves on offering outstanding services and accommodations! I'm so glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay. I hope you meet you personally the next time you are in the hotel! Elaine Powell
Elaine.Powell@AloftBirminghamSohoSquare.com

Reviewed March 9, 2011

To the hotel manager:

One week in advance, I made a reservation at your hotel via the internet for a stay arriving on March 4 and checking out on March 6 for two queen beds.

Upon our arrival at 8 p.m. after driving 4 hours with two children, we were welcomed by the young man at the registration desk and were asked our name. He then looked at the computer and told us that you had no rooms available! He said that the internet booking had overbooked the hotel. Due to the actions of the person working the front desk, I felt that there were some rooms, however, they were being held for other parties. If you were indeed overbooked, he should have told me that prior to waiting and searching the internet, then telling me.

He told me that you all were sending overbooked guests to the Embassy Suites. When I asked him if there were rooms there, he hesitated and said, "I don't know. I will call and ask." !!!!!

We did not want to stay at an Embassy Suites or we would have made the reservation for Embassy Suites. We left and stayed at the Renaissance Ross Bridge Resort where they were extremely welcoming and much more versed in hotel guest customer service.

I am very frustrated with:

1) the fact that a corporation the size of Starwood who prides themselves in customer service would allow this to happen
2) the lack of communication -- someone should have CALLED us to tell us there was a problem
3) the lack of experience of this person at registration (I asked for a statement saying that I was NOT going to get charged, and he told me that he didn't know how to print that. I then asked for a manager, and he told me that there wasn't a manager working at night -- they only worked days. However, he did call someone who came up to the desk who looked at the computer, said nothing to me, whispered to the front desk employee and left).

We were extremely disappointed, and although we've been a fan of Starwood and W Hotel brands in the past, we will NEVER book a room at your hotel again for fear of being overbooked.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank FlipFlopsandCaviar
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Wouldn't be scared to stay here again. I liked the layout of the room and the staff was nice. I was not impressed that they didn't mention or talk at all about Starwood status and the pool was bare bones. Didn't have a book about the hotel with services or a map in the room of the hotel so be ready to call the front desk. No hot tub, water was very chilly but the workout facility was nicer than expected. Close to restaurants and make sure you visit the Tuti Fruti-sp? ice cream place across the street.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham
1 mi away
Courtyard Birmingham Homewood
Hampton Inn Birmingham/Mountain Brook
3 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler
Redmont Hotel Birmingham, Curio Collection by Hilton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham Downtown Near UAB

Been to aloft Birmingham Soho Square? Share your experiences!