“Awesome for the money”
Review of Key West Inn

Key West Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was a stopover on our way to Atlanta. Very clean, nice hotel. We booked at the hotel without asking the rate, but after questioning the discrepancy ($89 vs $58) between online & their rate they honored the online without hesitation. It is well worth $65 (with tax). Breakfast buffet was limited - bagels, danishes, coffee & juice - but, still good. We will definitely go back if we're in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank chanti_lorraine
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for staying. ... and thank you for commenting of our lesser-known franchise property. The better known franchises are assumed to be accountable to their guests. We have to prove ourselves everyday. All rooms are triple-inspected to be as clean as you would want for your family.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was a great place to stop for the night. It's located right next to the interstate (I-22), a gas station, and a restaurant. Lots of beach themed decorations everywhere. They even had a boat outside that looked like it was ship wrecked for some time. The front desk staff was nice and made me feel like I was at home in South Carolina. It was a very quiet place. The rooms were bigger than most hotel rooms I thought. The rooms were very clean. Pillows were soft but firm. Their Beds weren't the most comfortable, but it was acceptable. They had nice flat screen TVs in their rooms. For breakfast they had bagels, cream cheese, jelly, pastries, coffee, and juices. I'm not a big fan of any hotel breakfast (unless it's just an all out full breakfast), so right next door was the Huddle House, so I ate over there. All in all, this was a very nice stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ethan F
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you, Ethan, for letting other travelers know what to expect before they reserve a room.

We appreciate your "soft, but firm" pillow comment. We have discussed the fine-balance between a pillow that looks good on a billboard and a pillow that "sleeps" good many times.

We have what most agree to be a great "starter" breakfast of bagels & cream cheese, pastries, jellies, juices, and Royal Cup coffee. Since most travelers don't eat a big breakfast, we don't force it and then deceptively refer to as "free."

We are an American-Owned hotel. We strive to provide you with a clean, secure, competitively-priced night that you would be pleased to bring your entire family to.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I searched Trip Advisor to make a decision on where to stay and also looked at pricing. The price stated $58.45 so I called the Key West directly at Hamilton, AL to make the reservation. I talked to Debra and she said the cost of the room was $89.95 plus tax or close to that price... I then stated that Trip Advisor said it was $58.45, she adjusted the quoted price, so I continued to book the room.
*Be sure to price shop*
The place was very nice and well decorated. We had some errands to run and left the TV on and when we got back the TV was off.... I started to wonder if someone came into the room while we were gone, but later that night while watching TV the unit shut off... I am assuming they have a built in timer to save money..
**I DIDN'T LIKE THAT THEY PUT A "$200 HOLD" ON THE CREDIT CARD AS A SECURITY DEPOSIT! It states this on a display at the check in and they verbally stated this while running my card. Apparently this place has issues... I have never had any Hotel, Motel or resort ever charge me a deposit..
I went to turn on the lights in the room and saw that they zip tied the curly energy light bulbs to the lamps... SERIOUSLY?! Is it so bad that someone has to steal their light bulbs?

** If this place was so worried about security they would lock the back door and we would need to use our room key to get in.. NOPE, Back Door is UNLOCKED all night..

As far as WI-FI, it was very weak for room 220, I had to use my phone as a hot-spot for my laptop.
The bathroom in my room needed a fan in the ceiling. There was a vent in the ceiling but no fan.... very stuffy when showering and the door closed...

All in all, I would stay here every time I need to come to this area.

Room Tip: * They pre-authorize a $200.00 Security Deposit on your Credit Card.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe C
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for letting other travelers know what you expect when staying with us in Hamilton. Yes, sometimes a better rate can be found online.
-  Your concern about the debit card usage is a well-discussed issue within the lodging industry. Debit cards are pre-authorized at almost all hotels, whether you know it or not. "Insiders" always use credit cards at hotels ... which are also pre-authorized, but differently. All franchises are dealing with this issue on a daily basis.
-  All of our TVs were manufactured in 2013 by LG. All of these commercial TVs made after 2012 are factory-programmed to turn themselves off after one hour of inactivity.
- The bathroom vents are silent and run off of a central system (as seen on YouTube by searching — Key West Inn Room 220 —). Room 220 has been checked out and is drawing (silently) about 80 cfm.
- The back door is normally locked during certain periods. We also patrol the parking lot (including the back door and upstairs) frequently all night long. We have never had a security issue and intend to keep it that way.
Clean - Secure - Competitive Rates

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hamilton doesn't offer many choices for nice hotels, and this one located right off US-78 is where our local family recommends their guest stay. This was our 3rd stay here and as before, it was clean and well maintained.

The beds aren't luxurious, there are polyester bedspreads vs. triple sheeting with comforters, but every thing works and we were able to get a good night's sleep and shower. We did not eat the continental (all carbs) breakfast.

Next door is a wonderful BBQ place where we always order enough to take to our family's home and share with 8 others for a family dinner. Hamilton is small town, so there aren't many dining options either.

We would stay here again and recommend it to others. Its not the Hilton, but it IS clean and reasonable.

Room Tip: 2 story - don't think there is an elevator - we always stay in a ground floor room and have not...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for coming back to stay with us again. Thank you for for the favorable review and letting other travelers know what to expect when staying with us in Hamilton.
     Most of all, thank you for giving us a chance as a lesser-known franchise to prove ourselves. Big-name doesn't translate to mean clean rooms.
     We are an American-owned hotel.   Clean - Secure - Competitive Rates

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Although our room was clean...Wifi didn't work in our room, the bathroom vent didn't work, and we were overcharged $30.00 for our room after being told we were getting a discount because my husband is a deputy sheriff. We spoke with the front desk and tried to get the matter resolved before leaving but was told by the front desk clerk, after she acknowledged we were overcharged, that there was nothing she could do about it because she was the only one there and the manager and/or owner could not be reached. I have yet to get a response from them regarding this after several attempts to reach them by phone and sending an email.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kellie W
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

We take your comments very serious such that we investigated and reviewed your check-in and check-out videos and inspected your room.
- You were given the government employee rate exactly as you requested and agreed to at the time of check-in.   - The lady who checked you in thoroughly discussed the discount with you, you requested and received the government employee discount, you verbally agreed to that specific dollars-and-cents rate, and then signed the bill exactly as discussed.
- At check-out you aggressively argued for a change-of-rate. Even after foul language was used toward the young lady at the counter, she DID NOT state that you were overcharged as stated in your review.
- I am sorry that you were unable to connect to our WiFi. Our monitoring system shows we haven't had even a temporary an outage in quite some time. However, had you brought this to our attention, our 24-hour staff would have investigated immediately and reported back to you. Usually non-connecting devices will connect once restarted. Internet usage has no limits and is unpassworded.
- Our bathroom vents are silent, but work perfectly from a central system. They have never once failed. Even though our system lets us know when maintenance may be needed, we double-checked and affirmed that your room was in good order. If you had let us know that you believed there was a problem, we would have addressed your concern immediately. It's our guarantee.
We are an American-owned hotel. We offer clean rooms (three-inspection process) at a very competitive rate as other travelers can see at this site. Any concerns brought to our attention are addressed as quickly as possible to guarantee a trouble-free stay with us.
Since our franchise is not a big-name mega-franchise, we must go-the-extra-mile to to prove ourselves everyday ... to compensate for the false sense-of-accountability that the big-name properties have.
   Clean - Secure - Competitive Rates ... American-Owned

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was spotless. I stayed on a Saturday night, and it was very quiet. I didn't hear any noise above me or in the hallway. The check-in and check-out were very quick, and the staff was very courteous and helpful I'm not a big fan of continental breakfasts, so I simply walked next door to the Huddle House for breakfast which was reasonably priced. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to a friend who might be traveling to this area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you very much for staying and thank you for letting other travelers know what to expect.

We are doing our best to offer clean, secure, and reasonable rooms. All rooms are inspected twice after the housekeeper finishes to make sure that you have a room that we would stay in with our own families.

Also, all TVs were replaced last week with 32" LCDs, The channel system was also upgraded so that there are about 70 channels.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is very nice and has curbside appeal with beautiful flowers and decor. Check in was ok but not without some problems. The rooms do not have HDTV, but one from like 20 years ago. The color was so light we could barely watch it. Our friends room had the same type tv with a horrible green color so they need to upgrade the televisions. Also no luggage cart so be prepared to drag your bags. Breakfast is a pastry with 2 juices and coffee. Maybe try some doughnuts or something to add a little variety as everyday has the same exact thing. The room was clean except for comforter stains. The microwave and fridge were very nice. Ice machine is clean and works great. The walls are thin so if you have somebody above you on the 2nd floor u can hear them. I recommend if you can lug your bags upstairs to stay on that level. Parking lot is well lit and very clean. Staff was very friendly and housekeeping did a good job. Wifi was fast and dependable. Bathroom had no working fan so bring some spray if your traveling with others. Shower was nice and clean. Pillows were ok and heat was adequate for the weather. The lack of a good tv and no luggage cart will probably make me stay in the next town over at the Hampton. Some things u just cant do without and HDTV is it for my family.

Room Tip: 2nd floor if you can carry your bags as it seemed quieter as the noise radiates down to the 1st floo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BigStickInAFox
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for the nice things that you have reported about us and our hotel for people who are researching the best value in Hamilton.

We work very hard to keep this hotel rated the best in the county according to state inspectors. We also work very hard to keep the rates as reasonable as possible ... about half that of the competitor that you mention.

Part of this rate-vigilance is by not forcing a full breakfast on guests most of whom have let us know that they are not looking for a full breakfast. Our premium pastries, juices, and coffee provided by Royal Cup are a quick and great way to start the day. For the occasional guest who needs a full breakfast, there is a restaurant only steps away that specializes in breakfast.

Our bathroom vents work perfectly and have never once failed. They work from a silent system and are much preferred to individual motors in the rooms. If you have ever had a problem with your TV, let us know, we normally fix any issues within minutes since we are on staff 24/7.

Additionally, we are proud to say that we are American-Owned by an owner who is not two states over and struggling with dozens of hotels, but pays attention to every room at Key West Inn in Hamilton.

We strive for CLEAN (rated the best), SECURE (never once an issue), and REASONABLE (see for yourself while you are online) rooms. We strongly believe that we are by far the best value within 75 miles.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Holiday Inn Guin
#1 of 4 in Hamilton
Hamilton Holiday Motel
Hamilton Holiday Motel
#3 of 4 in Hamilton

Been to Key West Inn? Share your experiences!