“Beautiful”
Review of Dismals Canyon

Dismals Canyon
More attraction details
Owner description: Surrounded by a scenic forest that once belonged to the Chickasaw Indians.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Plenty of scenery and home to the Dismal lights, grubs that give off a bio luminescent glow found nowhere else in the world. Amazing!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our family and 2 other families (with kids ages 5-14) went down to Alabama to Dismals Canyon for the Labor day weekend. We were tent camping for 2 nights. It was a great spot to tent camp. Lovely area and people at the park. Kids loved it! Our campsite had a waterfall! If you enjoy tent camping this is a great spot. There is a bathhouse which was clean and well maintained. We did some hiking but the trail is short. Mostly the kids played in the water and under the falls. There is a nighttime tour to see Dismals (cool glowing bugs) which ocuppy the canyon. They take reservations for the sites. There are also some rustic cabins but we did not see those inside so I can't comment on those.
Highly recommend!!! We will go back.

1  Thank NashVegas_2
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went here with my family last weekend. The kids loved it and was an easy hike down into the canyon. The map was a little exaggerated in distance I believe, it made it seem like the walk is alot further than it actual is but still peaceful, relaxing and not to long. It has alot of neat things if you read the pamphlet map explaining the formations and history and plenty of places for some good pictures. The only reason I did not give it a higher rating was the cost, $32 for a family of 4 to walk a mile down some rocks, along a stream and through the woods is a bit much imo. Sipsey wilderness is about 30 miles SE and should also be on your list if you want to see natures beauty, I think it's free or maybe a couple dollers to park but the stream is bigger, there are more trails, some waterfalls and it's free.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We just got back from a road trip from Kansas to Florida and this made a great place to stop for a few nights! We camped out at dead water bluff which I would not rent again because it is on a slight incline. It didn't work well with our tent and made sleeping "comfortably" difficult. That being say I will for sure go back to camp but will try and get a site by a cave. The people in the shop were great!! Very friendly : ) The tour was awesome and hiking around is just stunning. Awesome place for pictures. Showers and bathrooms are clean. Very kid friendly I highly recommend going here!
**FYI** ~Bring water shoes~ It is really in Phil Campbell, Al (bout 12 mins from Haleyville) ~ They do not sell liquor or beer on Sunday..not even in restaurants and most ares surrounding are dry counties ~ It gets chilly at night so bring a blanket : )

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I went here with my family a couple of years ago. I remember it being an easy hike down into the canyon and a very pleasant hike.