“Won't Stay There Again”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed October 9, 2006

No coffee was left in the room for the inroom coffee maker. Towels were not available for poolside use. Our family has never stayed at a hotel that did not have either of these. And we have stayed in several diffferent hotels. If you want to stay at this hotel, bring your own beach/pool towels and your own coffee and filters!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank candycane1224
Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed September 24, 2006

me and my husband arrived at the hotel and had to wait to see if someone was running the front desk, when they did come to the front desk, then they proceeded to check us in, she never smiled or said thank you or enjoy your trip, then on the last evening, my husband was on the toilet and something heavy and wet fell on his head and all in the bathroom, the ceiling fell out from a bad water leak, then we called and they moved us to the room right next door, where we were unable to watch t.v or take a well needed nap because of the loud hammering and drilling and also lauging and arguing that was going on from the workers fixing the leak in the room we were just moved out of. The room we stayed in smelled horrible and had roaches and just wasnt clean, the carpet was terrible. the outside area had litter and cigarette butts all over, flower pots filled with water to put cigarettes in that smelled horrible, both the indoor pool and the outside pool was not sanitary, candy wrappers, beer bottle tops in the pool, why couldnt maintenance keep it up better, there were very few people there when we were there, and i know any of us didnt make the mess because allthe guest were talking about how messy and dirty the area was. when we checked out the lady didnt smile or even make eye contact with us or even say thank you or didnt even ask us how we enjoyed our trip. maybe it was best , because only had she asked were we even going to say anything, we were just ready to get out!!!!
the pictures on the website are so misleading. we will never stay there again, we will be willing to pay doulbe to stay at a nicer condo.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank karenrrr
Reviewed September 16, 2006

We chose this hotel because it was on the beach and we only needed a room for one night. The only good things about this hotel was the location, beach and the Pancake House. The location is perfect, the beach was beautiful, and the Pancake house has good breakfast and was nice! The room was okay. I was not comfortable giving my 2 year old daughter a bath in the bathtub. The tub was very beat up and needs to be replaced. The fire alarm went off three times that night starting at midnight which made for a very long night. I forgot my shampoo and of course they had none to provide. The $100 dollars we paid for the room was worth it for the convenience however I would have been pretty upset if we spent more. We asked the girl at the front desk if we could check out at 11:30 instead of 11:00. She said very rudely if we do not check out by 11:30 we will be charged for another night. She even called at 11:10 to see if we were staying another night. I do not think we would stay at this location again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank JillFS
Reviewed August 18, 2006

for being one of the few hotels on the beach, i felt like i got a very good deal. the room was moderately priced, except for the last night which was a friday and they stuck it to me. couldnt do much about it my friend wanted the room with the balcony, so i had to suck it up. Anyway the room was very clean, and had everything i needed- big tv, microrave, fridge( i think my ice chest was bigger though), bathroom was alright, but the dixie cups should be replaced with some glassware. oh, the housekeepers were great considering how messy we were. only gripe i have is parking- they give you a parking pass but that doesnt mean a thing. they give it to everybody. which means you could be searching for awhile for a place to park. My next trip back I will be staying at the Best Western. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vert
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Reviews here had caused me to lower my expectations of this hotel -- the only place right on the beach that we could find on a Wednesday in August, and was just a few short blocks E. of Hwy59. The room we had on 3rd fl had updated furnishings and the beds were clean and comfortable. Sliding glass door to a small balcony with 2 chairs was good to watch the beachgoers/sunrise/sunset and read. Also good view if the doors were closed (it was HOT!) Carpet had a few spots and the bath had been updated but finishing touches were omitted. As other reviews mention, the breakfast was great. It was all we needed, one night right on the beach so we could jump in, body surf, sit in the sun, then go to the pool. The rate was amazing esp. since I'm used to a $100/nt Hampton Inn on I-40!
P.S. it was a bit humorous that staff behavior was consistent with reviews here, but when we showed patience and smiled, they warmed up. They even mailed a left-behind bag at no cost to us.

2  Thank Alice27
A TripAdvisor Member
Louisiana
Reviewed June 6, 2006

We just returned from a 4 day, 3 night visit to this hotel. We stayed at the cottage across the street so I have no info on the hotel rooms but the staff was friendly and the beach front beautiful. The outdoor pool is mostly 3 ft deep and the waterfall was not in working order. The indoor pool is warm but nothing special. The two hot tubs indoors were working but could have been cleaner. The web site photos are misleading. Our cottage was clean but VERY outdated. It is in desperate need of new carpet, paint, and decor. However, it was very practical for our family of 5 (including 3 small children). It was so nice to be able to cook and wash our clothes right there compared to a hotel room. I am very used to extremely nice hotels with outstanding amenities so this one came up short. But we had a great time, it is a short distance from the Waterville waterpark and other attractions, shops, outlets, and restaurants. Overall, just average!

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2006

The view is the only great thing about this "hotel". Their is nothing in the rooms, nor hotel to give you ANY info about their amenities...pool hours, etc. The pool waterfall wasn't working, which is just dumb. The outdoor pool IS pretty much for children. There was an indoor pool and jacuzzi but I didn't venture in as it was FULL of unsupervised kids. ICK....

The bathroom was small and nasty, in my opinion. The carpet should have been cleaned at the very least. The entire check in was kind dumb. Nobody seems to care much about anything but leaving work. That's all I heard..." I have 30 minutes until I leave!". The walls are also dirty and this hotel is in BAD need of major overhaul. The "kitchenette" had paper cups and 3 plates...2 forks, etc. Someone needs to fire the management of this place.

I booked thru Priceline and boy are they going to hear about how I was double charged on many things. I'm not going to be kind.

• Stayed: May 2006
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!