“Dissapointment in Beautiful Gulf Shores,AL.”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Arkansas
“Dissapointment in Beautiful Gulf Shores,AL.”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

To whom it may concern,
Just recently went to Gulf Shores AL for the Fourth of July. We left on Thursday the 2nd and got home on Sunday the 5th. Before going, my wife and I wanted to find a "good deal" so we looked online. We were severly misled!!!!!! I have always had great luck with Best Western hotels until now. Our room, which cost 350.00 dollars per night was HORRIBLE!!!! After driving ten hours from Cabot AR. We checked in. Upon opening our room door a very strong mildew type smell overwhelmed us. We walked in and there was literally mold growing on the walls and the bed linens felt damp. The room was nothing like the one we had seen online. We were so exhausted from the drive that we decided to deal with it in the morning.(we checked in at 1:15am) Come morning we called the front desk and mentioned the mold and damp room. We were told that someone would be up to take a look. Having better things to do we left and set out to have fun in Gulf Shores. No discount was given, nor was another room offered. Considering the holiday weekend I can understand the shortage of hotel rooms, but not even a discount!!! Taking into consideration that is was a holiday weekend we wern't chaning hotels, as well as the fact that we would probably still be charged regardless of if we stayed or not. In an elevator ride on Saturday night my wife was with another woman and my wife happened to ask what her family thought of their room, and needless to say they had the same thoughts as us. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank CwJwratten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2009

I'm mystified by those that had a bad stay here! I couldn't have been happier. I found it to be economical, clean, courteously staffed and NO COMPLAINTS!!! Sure it's an older property but it's nestled in the midst of Condos for rental at almost twice the price. The check-in clerk gladly gave me the key to check out the room before checking in! Do this if you have any doubts!

Pay the additional $20 to get an oceanside room. Balcony sitting with coffee as the sun comes up watching the ocean couldn't have been better! I could see dolphins right from the room.

Kitchen, Refrigerator, Microwave, Stove, Coffee Pot, Sink, Dishes and Utinsels. Everything one needs! Although I didn't have kids, this is a great place for family to stay and cook own meals to cut costs.

I'm a mid-fifty aged traveler and if I ever come back this way, I'll be parked here with no hesitation!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We booked this trip through Expedia and received what we thought was a great deal. After arriving at "The Best Western on the Beach" we learned that Expedia reserved four rooms in our name. We had a very difficult time talking with various employees and they finally told us that we would have to speak with the owner and he was the only person that could help us. After talking with the owner for sometime he told us that because they did not receive 48 hours cancelation notice, that we would have to pay over $450.00 (One night's rate for each of these rooms). The end result of this problem is that this "cheap room" ended up costing us almost $1000.00 for three days.
The rooms at this hotel are not very clean. The sheets and comforters were damp and the air conditioner barely worked. Since there are no animals allowed at this hotel, I am not sure how there was what looked like an animal chew mark on our comforter. The towels and toiletries are given out sparingly, so use them as little as possible, or bring your own. In the corner of our room there was a plastic bag over what looked like a broken motion detector, or maybe a camera for the owner's private collection. Both the pool and pool deck were in disrepair. The pool which in the past obviously had a waterfall from a rock looking structure in the past, was now used as a high dive various guests. The watermarks and mineral deposits remained on the rock structure as a special touch.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Martinez37073
bloomfield, In
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a VERY nice experience. The room was clean, and large, balconey with a view that was to die for! The ONLY down-checks I would give, is the bathroom is small, but then I wasn't planning on having a party in there! and there were issues with calls ot coming to the phone, but as soon as I mentioned it to the desk, a new phone was brought up. We had endured a TERRIBLE night at a hotel in Orange Beach, so moved here and it was a GOOD choice!!
If i ever make it back to Gulf Shores (God willing !), I WILL book here again.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank militarymomx2
bailey0777
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The staff is not friendly or helpful. We were passing through town and called the night before to check rates. We were quoted one rate, but we didn't book at that point. The next day we walked in and were quoted a price 20.00 higher than the price quoted the day before. We were told "he" could change the rates whenever he wanted. We went ahead and stayed anyway. The rooms are pretty old. Average cleanliness. Not impressive but not awful either. I wouldn't recommend the restuarant either. It was mediocre for the price. There are better options for breakfast for sure. The Best Western isn't horrible, but there are much better options for comparable money. Try the Island House Hotel. We've stayed there before and will be going back. The breakfast is really good there.

• Liked — location, beach views
  • Disliked — staff, age of rooms, restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bailey0777
Alabama
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Our stay started out bad. My sister paid for the room by credit card as an Anniversary gift to us(she lives in Virginia, I'm in Al.) over the phone to the 800 #. A week later, after 2 calls and conf. info sent online to me, we thought everything was set and drove 4 hours south to Gulf Shores. Got to the Best Western. They demanded a copy by fax of her credit card and drivers license, this is on a Sunday. I by some miracle was able to get up with her by phone and she happened to be near a fax. This was very inconv. to us. We were never told to have this done before the trip. The front desk woman seemed unconcerned that we may have to pay by cash. She all but accused us of using a stolen credit card. Between the phone calls doing the reservations and the email contact someone should have let us know to fax this info.
The room was very clean. The remote however did not work. The outside pool is very small. The inside pool is large and two hot tubs were great, if you could find out easily how to turn them on as they were on a 15 min. timer and I watched many people sit in them without understanding they even turned on. The on switch kinda faded into the wall and was hard to see. The elevator buttons numbers were worn off and again I watched several people question that. We went off season during a week night/Sunday night so the rooms were $100. but during the weekend now and all summer the same room is $300. way too much. The location of the motel is excellent. Restaurant was good to have nearby although we didn't eat there, it was very relaxingly set up to look out over the ocean. I would stay again when prices were low/discounted but will never forget all the trouble we had checking in.

• Liked — hot tub and location of best western
  • Disliked — their method of check-in. extremely small outside pool right by restaurant windows.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank shellseeker0138
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 27, 2008

This hotel is located directly on a beautiful section of the beach. For a few night's stay you cannot beat the price. If you are staying longer than a week or have a large group, I would recommend a condo. Our room had a kitchenette which was perfect for just me and my wife. The one negative is that there isn't a king-size bed on the top floor. We had to get two queen rooms. No big deal though.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gulf Shores

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!