“Not worth the money”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Alabama
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

It was a decent room but definetly not worth the money. We were there for the July 4th weekend. The restaurant is only open from 6am til 2pm. The property is not well maintained and even though I saw the pool cleaned every morning it never looked clean. The water fall at the pool never worked and nasty looking standing water was sitting in the top. The plus side is the location to beach stores and some local restaurants. The beach was absolutely beautiful. Would we stay there again, only if we had no other choice. It has a lot of potiental if it was fixed up: new carpet, bedding, mattresses, etc. The beach service was excellent. We also had a GREAT view of the fireworks. Don't be fooled by the wonderful pictures on the website.

• Liked — Location to the beach
  • Disliked — needs a massive renovation
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MtMommaAlabama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Atlanta
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We were in on business, our corporate travel department booked our standard non smoking rooms. Two out of 4 of us got smoking rooms. Later we find out that Best Westerns can't guarantee a non smoking room. My bath mat had a blood stain the size of my fist on it. They don't bother bleaching it out. There was a hole in the wall where some drunk kid probably punched it. I should have known at check in when they drilled me about how many people I would have in my room and made me sign a waiver about having partys and being loud.

• Liked — By the beach
  • Disliked — THe bloody towels
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank DrifterAtlanta
Green Bay
Reviewed May 2, 2008

The pictures on the best Western website are very deceiving. Upon arrival we were givin a smoking room when we booked a non smoking. The room had trash on the floor, a dirty fridge, and trash on the out door balcony. I went back to the desk and spoke with the clerk on duty (she was not very friendly) the clerk was not going to honor my smoking request because I booked my room on the internet and that was how they recieved my reservation. After about 10 minutes she finally found me a non smoking room only due to the fact that a future reservation for the following day there cc declined. The room is very run down. A dump!!!! The fridge has rust all over the outside the bottom draw on the oven is falling off. The room, hall ways and elevator stink. The hotel is in need of some major remodeling. I would not stay there again.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the whole hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Carrie4200
Minnesota
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We just walked in after we cancelled other res that we didnt like. Since it was the middle of Feb, we got a good price of $59.00, no beach view but the beach is right out the door. I love a beach you can walk for miles on such as this one, clean white sand and since it was Feb not much crowds.
The room was great, clean, 2 beds, kitchenette, microwave, coffee pot, fridge, stove and oven! WOW!
We even had a balcony.
There was an indoor pool but we didnt swim, it did look inviting.

• Stayed February 2008
georgia
Reviewed February 10, 2008

we found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. the view was what we wanted. our grandchild loved it. this is where we go on vacation every time. we aren't looking for perfect, only a good vacation in a clean environment. this is what we have gotten each time we have stayed here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom space
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mustangGeorgia
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed January 17, 2008

Booked my stay through Best Western Web Site...pics shown and info given were NOT represenative of actual hotel. They show a nice tall building (which is actually part of the hotel) but stick you in the small 3-story dormatory looking building. I actually had more room in my college dormatory! Bathrooms are only usable for 1 person at a time. Walls are thin....could hear my neighbors throughout my entire stay. Only half the cable channels would come in clearly.
Front desk personnel were not friendly....housekeeping only did half of what most do. Left no coffee...left no replacement bath supplies...did not clean coffee maker or cups. When I called the front desk, I was told that since I had a kitchenette (bar sink, microwave and 2 burner stovetop complete with foil lined drip pans!), I was expected to wash it.
There are many, better options in the area. There are 10,000 EMPTY/UNSOLD condos in Gulf Shores & Orange Beach. Call a realtor and negotiate!

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — room size & condition, hotel staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Biztraveler78
longview,tx
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We did enjoy the fact that the hotel was right on the beach. It was the smallest of the hotels (lots of condos surrounding.) My daughters, age 11 & 9 enjoyed the pools. The rooms were average but not terrible. I did get extra towels when we called for them but were told to bring our dirty ones downstairs to exchange for clean ones. The elevator did take forever and made strange noises. There was also an elevator repair company there when we were which made me more uneasy. The maids were always friendly when passed in the hallway and the people at front desk were as well. There was a fullsize fridge and oven in the room which was a plus. I did not hear the neighbors like other reviewers did. The price is high but so are all of the rest if you want to be right on the beach.
Be sure and eat at Lamberts, especially if you have kids, they throw rolls which is really fun and different.

• Liked — right on the beach
  • Disliked — needed updated, elevator repaired
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family