“Memorial Weekend”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Prattville, Alabama
“Memorial Weekend”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My experience with this hotel and its staff was and has continued to be horrific. I would not stay or advise anyone to ever stay here. I was quoted a price over the phone which I repeated back to the associate making my reservations. I then continued to give them my credit card information solely because of the price I was just quoted which locked my in for at least the first night. The price I was quoted was incorrect. The hotel smells, the sheets on the second bed in our room had what appeared to be chocolate on them, I asked for towels from one of the staff then was told they would be brought to me. they never were. altogether worst hotel stay I have ever experienced. I also asked to speak to the manager and one associate told me I could not. I continued to talk with her while she refused to put him on the phone unless I told her why I was calling. I hung up and called again. the second person (the person who was misleading to me while I made my reservations) informed me the manager was out and tried to argue with me about my reason for calling. This is not a good place to stay for many reasons.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Jacqueline J
Megan T, Front Office Manager at Best Western On The Beach, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
First and foremost thank you for all of your feedback! As your title suggests you were a guest with us on Memorial Day weekend, The kickoff to our summer, and one of the busiest weekends of the year. The price you were quoted, confirmed to both verbally and by email confirmation prior to your arrival, signed and initialed by yourself therefore understanding at the time of checkin, was not the $38 price you had informed our desk clerks should have been your rate for our beachfront hotel. We do value your patronage and value your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel located right on the beach at Gulf Shores was perfect for our overnight stay. The king-sized room facing the gulf was spacious and comfortable. The large bathroom was outfitted with large, fluffy towels and all the amenities. We enjoyed a great breakfast in the first-floor restaurant. The staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. I would definitely book this hotel for a longer stay in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jevan26
Thank you so much for all of your positive feedback! Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and I am so glad to hear we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward for your return!
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We just wanted to pay a compliment about this hotel, and it's excellent staff.
In particular Heather couldn't have been more helpful and courteous.
She is truly an asset to Best Western.
We travel from Mississippi once or twice a year for short vacations and always select the Best Western in Gulf Shores, AL due to the comfortable beds and excellent staff.
Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Megan T, Front Office Manager at Best Western On The Beach, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! We strive for customer satisfaction and regularly get compliments on the friendless of our front desk staff. Heather certainly is an asset to our team and I'm so glad she was able to exceed your expectations! We certainly hope to see you again soon!
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We booked this last moment and received the lowest rate I found for a hotel that is actually on the beach. We arrived a little early but the young lady (Heather) was gracious enough to let us check-in. She even honored my request for a room on a higher floor and recommended some restaurants. The room was clean, spacious, and updated. The television and décor were modern. Our favorite feature was the glass doors leading out to a balcony overlooking the Gulf. We left the doors open at night and slept to the sound of the tide. Who needs a sleep machine! There are beachfront restaurants within walking distance on both sides of the hotel. It is probably the most convenient location in Gulf Shores. The last day we ate at the Island Pancake House which is part of the building. De-li-cious! I had the sweet potato pancakes and my wife had the cheesecake pancakes. The hotel staff was very friendly, the room was always nice and cool, and most of the time we parked in the shade under the east wing. Considering the price of most beach front hotels and condos, the Best Western was a great value. Thanks for a great time!

Room Tip: Each room faces the gulf but the west wing has more floors. We had a great view from the 5th.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! Our goal is to exceed guest expectations and I am so glad we were able to do that for you! I am also glad you enjoyed our in house restaurant, The Island Pancake House, the sweet potato pancakes are one of my favorites as well! Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of your return!
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I arrived here to stay for the weekend with our two year old...We requested a room on the bottom floor. Instead they put us in a room on the top floor. We entered the room with a very musty smell. We walked outside to look at the view when we saw the top of the rock formation. It looked like a cesspool like slime above the broke waterfall. It lead to a awful sight and needed mosquito protection. The balcony railings were loose, and therewere no nets under the unsafe balcony. Next door they had nets! We called the front desk and they were very snippy with my wife when she asked politely to be moved to a ground floor. The customer service in this place is non- existant. Our door was jammed many times throughout our stay and the hotel was not full. We asked on the second day to be moved again when we met the owner and he said there was no availability. Mr. Thompson was not very nice. We stayed that evening and then checked out the very next day cutting our vaccation short. We were not refunded the amount for the third day. This hotel is not safe for children. The staff is very rude. Ive learned my lesson, and I will always listen to trip advisior before staying anywhere ever again!

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank shanniganheck
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The room was resevered on May 3 & 4th 2013 and we asked for a smoking room.The corp office who I had called that booked the room said they had one and booked the room for us. As we arrived and checked in the clerk ask for the credit card we booked with. She gave us a sheet of paper and told us to sign and never explained anything of the sort what we was signing. She gave us a key and said enjoy your stay. We left and went to the room where we never smoked in the room as we don't at our own home. We smoked on the balcony during our stay. Saturday morning the cleaning lady entered the room and asked if we needed anything as my husband was on the balcony smoking and never said it was against the rules of this motel. She left and we spent the day on the beach, The next morning Sunday we get up and leave at 9am. We go to the check out counter and give the key back and nothing was said to us then either. Today May 7th.. I look at my online back account and see that the fee for the two night stay had been drafted from my account which was fine. I then noticed that another fee of $250.00 was drafted as well. I knew they had made some sort of mistake. I called the Hotel and spoke with the clerk who was very RUDE and nasty and said they would not refund the 250 back. I explained that the clerk never mentioned this to us neither did the cleaning lady who entered them room and saw my husband on the balcony. She of course did not want to hear it. I called the main corp number for Best Western who had never heard of this either. They called this hotel to see if they could get this resolved and was unable to do so as well. I am in the process of taking other measures to get refunded on this. I understand rules, but due to me and my husband staying in numerous Best Westerns in the past and who has thousands of reward points to show we give them alot of business seems to think that the clerk should have at least told customers who check in the rule and make sure they were aware of this charge if it happened as well as the cleaning lady who knew this. This is really bad business in my opinion. I have tried as well as the corp head quarters to resolve this issue and the hotel clerk won't hear of it. In the end for a 2 night stay it has costed me $589.00 for a Best Western. I could have stayed in the Hilton for this amount for 2 nights. Not to mention the hotel is very run down and VERY out dated and has a bad odor. I will admit that the room was very clean. My husband and I was saving all of our points to go back in June and stay there again for our daughter but unless they refund the bogus charge of 250 as they should do since they never even verbally explained such a LARGE fee for breaking a rule like this.. I doubt we will be back again. For the shape of this hotel and as out dated as it is they charge WAY to much for a nightly stay. You can stay in alot of other places for the same price that is in alot better shape. Watch out for any unaurthorized fee like this you may see when you let them use your credit card.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and had to use the elavator and each time was affraid it would stop worki...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sharon R
First thank you for your patronage, we value and appreciate your business. I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our smoking fine however it is a measure we as a business have to take to ensure that all of our guests have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. As you can imagine I'm sure, we get all sorts of guests with different allergies and such, many of them with extreme smoke allergies. It is for this reason that we have a $250 smoking fine to guests who do not abide by this policy. A guest sitting on the balcony above you could have been a guest with needs like that, or perhaps the guest following you since smoke tends to cling to fabrics (ie curtains from the balcony) We ensure guests who book a non smoking room that that is in fact what they are going to get. Upon your checkin you signed a registration card that stated in Bold and Highlighted letters that there is no smoking and no pets and the penalty for breaking these policies...a policy you signed and initialed by. Once again I do thank you for your business, and I do hope you understand why these policies are in place and why we have to uphold them
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel. My family and I went for a quick spring break getaway. Hotel is dated, but very clean, and staff is extremely friendly. The location is great, right on the beach and close to all the hot spots. The breakfast in the restaurant was generous and tasty. We would definately return!!

Room Tip: definately get a beachfront room, the view is awesome.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 24 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gulf Shores

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!