“Worst Western on the beach!”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I arrived here to stay for the weekend with our two year old...We requested a room on the bottom floor. Instead they put us in a room on the top floor. We entered the room with a very musty smell. We walked outside to look at the view when we saw the top of the rock formation. It looked like a cesspool like slime above the broke waterfall. It lead to a awful sight and needed mosquito protection. The balcony railings were loose, and therewere no nets under the unsafe balcony. Next door they had nets! We called the front desk and they were very snippy with my wife when she asked politely to be moved to a ground floor. The customer service in this place is non- existant. Our door was jammed many times throughout our stay and the hotel was not full. We asked on the second day to be moved again when we met the owner and he said there was no availability. Mr. Thompson was not very nice. We stayed that evening and then checked out the very next day cutting our vaccation short. We were not refunded the amount for the third day. This hotel is not safe for children. The staff is very rude. Ive learned my lesson, and I will always listen to trip advisior before staying anywhere ever again!

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank shanniganheck
Write a ReviewReviews (1,240)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The room was resevered on May 3 & 4th 2013 and we asked for a smoking room.The corp office who I had called that booked the room said they had one and booked the room for us. As we arrived and checked in the clerk ask for the credit card we booked with. She gave us a sheet of paper and told us to sign and never explained anything of the sort what we was signing. She gave us a key and said enjoy your stay. We left and went to the room where we never smoked in the room as we don't at our own home. We smoked on the balcony during our stay. Saturday morning the cleaning lady entered the room and asked if we needed anything as my husband was on the balcony smoking and never said it was against the rules of this motel. She left and we spent the day on the beach, The next morning Sunday we get up and leave at 9am. We go to the check out counter and give the key back and nothing was said to us then either. Today May 7th.. I look at my online back account and see that the fee for the two night stay had been drafted from my account which was fine. I then noticed that another fee of $250.00 was drafted as well. I knew they had made some sort of mistake. I called the Hotel and spoke with the clerk who was very RUDE and nasty and said they would not refund the 250 back. I explained that the clerk never mentioned this to us neither did the cleaning lady who entered them room and saw my husband on the balcony. She of course did not want to hear it. I called the main corp number for Best Western who had never heard of this either. They called this hotel to see if they could get this resolved and was unable to do so as well. I am in the process of taking other measures to get refunded on this. I understand rules, but due to me and my husband staying in numerous Best Westerns in the past and who has thousands of reward points to show we give them alot of business seems to think that the clerk should have at least told customers who check in the rule and make sure they were aware of this charge if it happened as well as the cleaning lady who knew this. This is really bad business in my opinion. I have tried as well as the corp head quarters to resolve this issue and the hotel clerk won't hear of it. In the end for a 2 night stay it has costed me $589.00 for a Best Western. I could have stayed in the Hilton for this amount for 2 nights. Not to mention the hotel is very run down and VERY out dated and has a bad odor. I will admit that the room was very clean. My husband and I was saving all of our points to go back in June and stay there again for our daughter but unless they refund the bogus charge of 250 as they should do since they never even verbally explained such a LARGE fee for breaking a rule like this.. I doubt we will be back again. For the shape of this hotel and as out dated as it is they charge WAY to much for a nightly stay. You can stay in alot of other places for the same price that is in alot better shape. Watch out for any unaurthorized fee like this you may see when you let them use your credit card.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and had to use the elavator and each time was affraid it would stop worki...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sharon R
Megan T, Front Office Manager at Best Western On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

First thank you for your patronage, we value and appreciate your business. I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our smoking fine however it is a measure we as a business have to take to ensure that all of our guests have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. As you can imagine I'm sure, we get all sorts of guests with different allergies and such, many of them with extreme smoke allergies. It is for this reason that we have a $250 smoking fine to guests who do not abide by this policy. A guest sitting on the balcony above you could have been a guest with needs like that, or perhaps the guest following you since smoke tends to cling to fabrics (ie curtains from the balcony) We ensure guests who book a non smoking room that that is in fact what they are going to get. Upon your checkin you signed a registration card that stated in Bold and Highlighted letters that there is no smoking and no pets and the penalty for breaking these policies...a policy you signed and initialed by. Once again I do thank you for your business, and I do hope you understand why these policies are in place and why we have to uphold them

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel. My family and I went for a quick spring break getaway. Hotel is dated, but very clean, and staff is extremely friendly. The location is great, right on the beach and close to all the hot spots. The breakfast in the restaurant was generous and tasty. We would definately return!!

Room Tip: definately get a beachfront room, the view is awesome.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shelly R
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel was out-dated, shabby and our door wouldn't lock properly.Trying to discuss our hotel safety issues with the staff, was like getting caught up in a rip current. Since nothing was resolved, after one night of disregard & loud music, we found a lovely, peaceful hotel that made the rest of our vacation comfortable and safe. We thought being at a large, franchise hotel would be safe, it appears that does NOT apply at this location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Michigander333
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel does NOT deserve 1 star! The only positive thing about this hotel is the location. However, the hotel is so run-down, they should level it & rebuild! Omg! I was so afraid for my 1-year old for MANY reasons. When I got up in the middle of the night, I noticed large insects & worms were infested in the wicker furniture!!! I was afraid for my baby, the safety of the room was a great concern! The front door never locked & most of the railings on the balcony were very loose! The ONLY friendly person on the entire staff tried "unsuccessfully" to repair the door. When we called the front desk about our concerns, Megan laughed & said, "we don't have anything else" click, how rude is that? The employees arrogance was too much to bear, & the GM couldn't care less. We will never return to this location. We moved out of Gulf Shores, & found a LOVELY hotel in Orange Beach. We had a wonderful time at Perdido Beach Resort, & we were able to enjoy the BALCONY! They made up for the horrible experience & rip off at the Worst Western on the Beach! PLUS,Our room at Perdido was $126 a night, at the Best Western they ripped us off for $400 a night!!! They should be turned in to the Better business Bureau! It was my first vacation after our first-born, & that was our LAST at the Best Western on the Beach!

• Stayed: May 2013
10  Thank Stargirl4511
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My stay at this hotel was great! The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was clean and the location was splendid! The room was a little dated, but it was a nice stay and I loved the service.
-Deloris S.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Deloris S
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Very friendly staff and great location. It is dated. They haven't done updates since the last time we were there in 1996, but the price has doubled. Overall the stay was enjoyable. We just thought the room rate was a little high.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Georgia R
Megan T, Front Office Manager at Best Western On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad we were able to exceed your expectations with our front desk staff and beautiful beach views. We are constantly updating and improving and so would love to have the pleasure of your return to enjoy all of the many improvements we have been working on. Thank you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf Shores
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!