“Location was perfect, rooms are a little outdated can use an upgrade”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Birmingham, Alabama
“Location was perfect, rooms are a little outdated can use an upgrade”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

09-06-12 My husband & I purchased a room from Priceline for 89.99 (hint) "limited view" It was exactly that limited!! It was half of a balcony in a corner not a good view. Our room was right off of the elevators which was ok!! We wanted to change rooms bc we saw mold in the ceilings, the front desk clerk stated we booked the limited view room & can not be changed. But I did not stress the fact that's why I booked for only 1 night. The Front desk clerks was nice. A kind couple told us about the pools in the front not the staff!! The hot tubs outside are warm, not hot!! We did enjoy the indoor pool & hot tubs in the front of the hotel (warmer than the outside one) The beach was AWESOME!! Comfy beds, microwave and micro fridge was +. They need to add TV guides to their rooms, tons of channels but uncertain of what channel is what!! One of the lamps had a broken light & the light outside on the half balcony did not come on at all. Had to sit in the dark :-(. Did get a chance to eat downstairs @ the Pancake House but they give you 25% off your bill M-F. I think the rooms should have been a tad cheaper but overall it wasn't a horrible stay just a few flaws that could be handled!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Thasxc1
Megan T, Front Office Manager at Best Western On The Beach, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your much appreciated response. We love getting any feedback that can help make our guests stay more enjoyable. Immediately after reading over your thoughtful suggestions we were able to quickly resolve many of the issues stated and so sincerely appreciate you bringing them to our attention. Im so happy to hear our front desk staff were able to make your stay that much more enjoyable, our number one goal is customer satisfation! Our only hot tubs are in our indoor pool facility, and so what you were in outside was warm because it is only a kiddi pool( therefore not heated.) We would love to have you back sometime and get you into that full view opposed to the limited you originally booked(: Thank you again, from all of us here at the Best Western on the Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Olathe, KS
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The staff was really nice, the view was awesome, and the room was great! It had a microwave, small fridge, sink and stove. The bathroom was small, the bedding was comfy. When we arrived, the smell of cleaning supplies was very thick, had to open the balcony door, but at least we knew it was clean. If you are looking for a 4-star hotel, this is not it. But...if you are looking for cozy and friendly, then this is your place. I had completely stayed away from Best Western's until I stayed at one in Laguna Beach, CA, and it completely changed my perspective. They are lovely hotels, that feel a little like home.

Room Tip: Don't feed the birds people!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Megan T, Front Office Manager at Best Western On The Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your much appreciated response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back again! We strive to uphold the quality that is expected with the Best Western brand, and so happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations! Thank you again, from all of us here at the Best Western on the Beach
Houma
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel rather than a condo this place has great value. We only stayed one night but the staff was friendly the hotel is on the beach and the rooms have kitchenettes. Ask for room #99 not sure how big the other rooms are but this one is huge and only $122 during the week. island pancake restaurant on
Location is a good value breakfast as well.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your much appreciated response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Im glad to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and our staff was able to make your stay enjoyable. And so glad you enjoyed room 99 our studio suite! It is one of our only rooms of that size so it is definitly a guest favorite and so constantly remains booked. Thank you again, from all of us here at the Best Western on the Beach and hope to have you back again soon!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here a week in June. Our room was clean. The view was fantastic. We slept to the sound of the ocean every night. The front desk staff was very friendly, however they did recommend Gulf Island Grill for an evening meal and it was a terrible place. I also would not recommend The Pancake House which is inside the hotel. It's not a good place to eat at all.

Try this hotel. I don't think you will be disappointed. I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: I would stay on the 2nd floor or above for the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your much appreciated response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy to hear we will hopefully have you back again soon! Im glad to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and our staff was able to make your stay enjoyable. We love hearing guest feedback on their experiences with other restaurants/attractions in the area to better inform other future guests, and so thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Thank you again, from all of us here at the Best Western on the Beach
greenville, tx
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel is ON the beach. There is no highway in between the beach and the hotel. Each room has a balcony. To me, these are major factors regarding the enjoyment of staying on the beach. We got an ocean front room with microwave and fridge with two queen beds for $180/night during the week. I believe weekend rates are quite higher. The room wasn't really fancy and probably could have used a little updating, but this place is ON the beach. As a matter of fact this is the ONLY hotel in Gulf Shores that is ON the beach. The rest are condos. Some things to note-There is NO excercise room and no free breakfast. They have both an outdoor and an indoor pool. As far as I could tell, the outside pool had no closing time. Check-in is 3pm(A little late, in my opinion. Check-out is 11am. There is a Wal-Mart four blocks away. You might shop the condos for prices or shop the nearby locations like Perdido Key and Orange Beach for a hotel. This hotel might not have the best amenities, but it is ON the beach. I would stay here again. Oh, yeah, did I mention this place is ON the beach?

Room Tip: Keep in mind, they have "limited view" and "street view". If you want "ocea...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your much appreciated response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back again! Im glad to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and our staff was able to make your stay enjoyable. We love recieving guest feedback and happy to look into all of your thoughtful suggestions. I definitly agree with you there is no better place to be than right here on the sugary white beaches of Gulf Shores, AL. for your beach destination vacation and so the location is unbeatable! Thank you again, from all of us here at the Best Western on the Beach
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My daughter and I wanted to make a quick trip over to gulf shores for a little back to school adventure. I decided to stay at the Best Western on the Beach because not only do I love the Best Western brand, but the location of this hotel in particular. The hotel is directly located on the beach just minutes from where many of the attractions my daughter wanted to visit (zoo, waterville..etc) and so it was very convienient. The staff was always friendly and accomodating, and the restaurant was great... my little girl loved the blueberry pancakes! Overall it was a great vacation and we will definitly make this our annual back to school trip.

Room Tip: We asked for a kitchenette and it was no additional charge.. very nice tip
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lillian T
Thank you for your much appreciated response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back again! Thank you again, from all of us here at the Best Western on the Beach
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Where do I start? First we booked through corporate and they gave me a rate of $229 a night, after running my card and telling me it too late to cancel, they told me the weekend rate would go up to $359 (400 after taxes)a night. That is a resort price for a "motel" stay, I questioned the transaction to the assistant to the GM, and she told me that is right and there is nothing she can do about it. Then she gave me an attitude about checking out late- which she just watched me pass her multiple times through out the lobby with luggage that I had to carry because they only had 2 luggage carts and I seen the maintence man hauling trash bags with one of them- I am sure he doesnt clean them when he is done either. My coffee pot was never cleaned and she responded that they are not supposed to clean the coffee maker, so I didnt drink any more of the hotel coffee. the kiddie pool was a broken hot tub, and the rock waterfall was full of trash and didn't work. my wife's brand new nike sandals got stolen right out of pool area while we were swimming there. Most all of the rules were broken on a constant basis at the pool area.Door to the room was all torn up like it had been kicked in by the police and would not shut unless the security bolt was secured. the room was very small and needed alot repairs. No safe in the room. Very little parking lot but they have additional parking across the 5 lane street in a gravel and sand parking lot. I addressed my concerns with the "assistant to the GM" and she either made excuses or argued with me. I do not recommend you wasting your valuable money or time here.

Room Tip: find a different hotel or different location
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family