Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Where do I start? First we booked through corporate and they gave me a rate of $229 a night, after running my card and telling me it too late to cancel, they told me the weekend rate would go up to $359 (400 after taxes)a night. That is a resort price for a "motel" stay, I questioned the transaction to the assistant to the GM, and she told me that is right and there is nothing she can do about it. Then she gave me an attitude about checking out late- which she just watched me pass her multiple times through out the lobby with luggage that I had to carry because they only had 2 luggage carts and I seen the maintence man hauling trash bags with one of them- I am sure he doesnt clean them when he is done either. My coffee pot was never cleaned and she responded that they are not supposed to clean the coffee maker, so I didnt drink any more of the hotel coffee. the kiddie pool was a broken hot tub, and the rock waterfall was full of trash and didn't work. my wife's brand new nike sandals got stolen right out of pool area while we were swimming there. Most all of the rules were broken on a constant basis at the pool area.Door to the room was all torn up like it had been kicked in by the police and would not shut unless the security bolt was secured. the room was very small and needed alot repairs. No safe in the room. Very little parking lot but they have additional parking across the 5 lane street in a gravel and sand parking lot. I addressed my concerns with the "assistant to the GM" and she either made excuses or argued with me. I do not recommend you wasting your valuable money or time here.

Room Tip: find a different hotel or different location
8  Thank Margaret K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Clean hotel with great access to beach. Prices were reasonable and hotel staff was friendly and helpful. This was our first trip to Gulf Shores and we were wonderfully pleased.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I recently stopped here for one night just to hang on the beach and relax. I hate to say it but the visit to this hotel really ruined our trip to the shore. Not sure where to start so I will just hit the high points: We were in a gulf front room and could actually see the sand/water around the side of our a/c unit. Of course it was 90 plus degrees outside and the most of that hot gulf air was blowing into the room. My wife decided to stuff towels in the gaps around the a/c unit but we also notified the front desk that our room was not cool enough. They did send a couple of tech's up to fix it and we were told the towels were a good idea....and that the unit was operating correctly. Let me say if you are wet from the pool or the shower and standing directly in front of this unit, you might feel some cool air. Since we were out of the room most of the afternoon and evening....we just assumed it would cool down by night. Wrong...we didnt sleep well at all and spent most of the night taking off clothes and covers.
The cleanliness of this hotel really didnt appear to be a priority either as the bathroom floor and tub looked partially serviced. The outside hot tub and pool had lots of trash in them and looked like they might not have been cleaned in a few days. I did comment on this and the fact that the hot tub has jets but no controls to the front desk. I was told that the tub was damaged in the hurricane and the outside hot tub had been changed to a kiddie pool. They suggested we use the indoor pools.... which we did check out but they were full of kids with no parents. Another problem I believe this hotel has as half the kids we spoke to said they werent staying there.
So bottom line thats about all I can say that occurred in that 24 hours. We checking out asap and doubt we will ever stay at this hotel again. Oh did I mention that the room was a deal at only $179.00 a night, lol.

Room Tip: try the condos....we have stayed in condos at Gulf Shores, most are very nice.
9  Thank mrpak5604
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The ocean view was the best part of this hotel. The rooms are expensive and small. The shower faucet drips, grout was dirty very small tub. The water pressure was extremely bad. The rooms are outdated. The breakfast they did offer was way expensive. The pools were very dirty. No amenities for the price of what you pay for the room. Overall Great time in the gulf shores but crappy expensive hotel room.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Danielle2133
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Hotel is not fance, but with walking distance to the shopping and eating and right on the beach. We did not have to drive anywhere once we got our motel room. Stayed for 3 nights. We were on the street side because was a little cheaper, for July 2 and 3rd $179 and July 4th $249. My husband could not use his AARP discount because it was holiday week. we had a little kitchen, a king size and a queen size bed. The room was clean and had some room to move around. The bathroom was small and could use some updating. The internet service was very very slow. I would stay at this motel again. The beach was pretty nice behind the motel.

3  Thank MKPKCMO
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This started as a quite pricey place to stay considering its a Best Western, not a luxurious hotel... We were there only one night and the price was 399.59... Then as we get to our room it "appears" to be ok BUT as we get in it, it was beyond filthy.... Our table was wet and whatever it was had spilled on the floor, pubic hair ALL in the tub and on the counter and was also on the NEW LINER for the ice bucket... When we complained we were only told "sorry" in a rude non-caring way and that they wouldnt give us a new liner without coming to our room... No one EVER showed up that night... There werent any offers to come clean our bathroom... Our porch light was out and I was told it would be the next evening before it could be fixed (this is a light bulb, not an entire rewiring of the room)... Then as we settle in to watch tv, our cable is fuzzy and not enjoyable to watch... The pools were nasty and filled with sand... We nor anyone in my family will go here EVER again... Outside of the filth they had the most ill-mannered employees EVER!!

Room Tip: Choose anywhere other than this Best Western.... This was disgusting!!!!!! I want at least some of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank April n Leon W
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just returned home from our stay and it was great. the staff was extremely helpful from check in to check out. The room was very nice and clean. The gulf view from the balcony was beautiful. We had read a couple of the reviews and were a litle worried but once we checked in we saw that this place is great place to stay and have fun. Our little girl loved the pools and beaches. Evening were quiet and we slept very good. This place well located on the beach and easy walking or driving distance to many places you would want to go. The management staff was always helpful and ensured that we were well taken care of. I would recommend this place to everyone going to Gulf Shores and we are looking forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!