“great gettaway”

Red Roof Inn Gulf Shores
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed November 8, 2009

the location was close to the beach and things to do for the kids the price was right it fit our budget so we were able to do a nice gettaway the staff was friendly and helpful which now a days is hard to find

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank floridagirl17
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Gulf Shores

Reviewed October 17, 2009

This hotel is first off, impossible to find. We searched for an hour before we could find it, and it was an old quality inn with a days inn banner over it. The room smelled awful, like mildew and mold. There were dogs barking constantly downstairs. The wall sockets were so bad that we only had one working lamp in the room, and a few we were afraid to plug in anything for fear of fire. The only good things worth mentioning where the softness of the bed and the microfridge. Otherwise it isn't worth it. Stay away. I bet during Ike the were damaged and never properly repaired. Lessoned learned.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Keys never worked (staff had to let us in everytime), the room smelled awful, the staff were rude, there was mold on the walls, they never had clean towels, and much more. This place is one of the worst places I have ever stayed, I would rather have slept in my car.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2009

It was horrible remote had batteries taped in and did not even work had to go back to the front desk twice before we could get one that actually worked. No coffee in the room had to go and get some at front desk...went to make coffee next morning pot did not work, my husband went to the front desk and got another one that one did not work....bathroom had ants on floor...room and bedding did not smell fresh and clean it was a horrible experience and I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel....we were charged like $90 dollars a night when they should have charged $30 dollars a night because that is all it would have been worth....I know now that I will avoid ever staying there again I could not wait for the morning so that we could get the hell out of there.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I arrived at this hotel to be shocked by the outside conditions. The front desk clerk was very friendly but she did not make up for the poor quality of this hotel. The rooms where out dated and smelled horrible. The a/c barely worked in our room. Door didnt close properly. I will never return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank runofthemill
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I can not even believe everything that happened to us at this hotel. And when we thought it coundnt get any worse.... the hotel caught on fire.
We checked in - lots of dog barking - but it is a pet friendly hotel. Then we went into our room - the smell was horrible - it was NOT clean. The guest staying in the next room said they had to be moved due to the smell. It smelled of mildew!!!! We went down the several rooms to our friends room. I was the only one on the balcony and noticed A LOT of smoke. I called my husband and he noticed it was coming from the bottom floor of the hotel. We all grabbed our children and started running down stairs - knocking on doors as we ran. The smoke was coming from the laudrey room. The 2 girls on duty did not call the fire department nor did they come out and explain the situation to the half of the hotel stayers that was outside. My husband and our friend which is a volunteer fireman on the side went into the laudry room - where they saw the washing machine that had caught fire. It heated up enough to burn the wall and heat up the floor above it. My husband called the fire department - I happen to be in the lobby when the fire departmment called and the mangement told them that the alarm was pulled by mistake. I couldnt beleve they was flat out lie about what had happened. What if the fire resummed???? Oh and NOOOOOO towels.. What hotel doesnt have towel?? We were told that they could give us a sheet to dry off with. My daughter which is 11 got out of the pool and would not swim due to its uncleaniness. Once everything settled and the fire department did not come. I went to the front desk - between the dirt, mildew smell, no towels, and the fire and it not being reported correctly. I ask the front desk what I was supposed to do - the smell was unbearable. I was told that they would put a ionizer in the room for 1 1/2 hours but no one could be in the room. It is now 10pm I ask what I was supposed to do until 11:30pm and was told to swim in the pool. I did not wish for my 4 and 11 year old to swim until 11:30pm but since everything was booked I said that we would try it and at 11:30pm if the smell wasnt any better we would check out and just head home!! I was then told I could not get a refund. I was completely shooked - after all that had happened - they would not give me my money back. Oh and I had insisted that they contact the manager thinking that a management position would be more understanding of all that had happened. NO - Finally after myself demanding a refund and refusing to leave the front desk until I received it - my money was refunded. We left the hotel and will never go back.

PLEASE BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL. - IT WAS UNCLEAN AND MOST OF ALL UNSAFE.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pcblover123
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Our room was filty, had dead bugs, our batteries to the romote were taped in, dirty carpet, no linens, smelled awful!
We had the worst experience. We had to wait to have our room "cleaned" before we could check in. We were told 4 and showed up at 5:30. Our room smelled like an old river cabin that had been shut up all summer long. We had no linens. We had to wait another 15 minutes for those. When we wiped our tub with a kleenex it revealed black smut, dirt and hair. We called the guy from the front desk in and he didn't seem to notice the smell ( I guess he was use to it) or seem to be bothered our tub was dirty. We ended up asking for a refund. I told my husband it reminded me of something from a scary movie. We decided we wouldn't even let our dogs stay here.
We ended up going a couple of minutes toward the tanger outlets and found a Holiday Inn, Express. It is brand new and one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. It is behind the cracker barrel. The city will not allow them to put sign up so you have to look for it. It was wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple