“Would Never Stay Here Again”

Red Roof Inn Gulf Shores
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Church Point Louisiana
“Would Never Stay Here Again”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

It was horrible remote had batteries taped in and did not even work had to go back to the front desk twice before we could get one that actually worked. No coffee in the room had to go and get some at front desk...went to make coffee next morning pot did not work, my husband went to the front desk and got another one that one did not work....bathroom had ants on floor...room and bedding did not smell fresh and clean it was a horrible experience and I would not recommend anyone staying at this hotel....we were charged like $90 dollars a night when they should have charged $30 dollars a night because that is all it would have been worth....I know now that I will avoid ever staying there again I could not wait for the morning so that we could get the hell out of there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
birmingham
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I arrived at this hotel to be shocked by the outside conditions. The front desk clerk was very friendly but she did not make up for the poor quality of this hotel. The rooms where out dated and smelled horrible. The a/c barely worked in our room. Door didnt close properly. I will never return to this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank runofthemill

Travelers are raving about these Gulf Shores hotels

soillinois
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I can not even believe everything that happened to us at this hotel. And when we thought it coundnt get any worse.... the hotel caught on fire.
We checked in - lots of dog barking - but it is a pet friendly hotel. Then we went into our room - the smell was horrible - it was NOT clean. The guest staying in the next room said they had to be moved due to the smell. It smelled of mildew!!!! We went down the several rooms to our friends room. I was the only one on the balcony and noticed A LOT of smoke. I called my husband and he noticed it was coming from the bottom floor of the hotel. We all grabbed our children and started running down stairs - knocking on doors as we ran. The smoke was coming from the laudrey room. The 2 girls on duty did not call the fire department nor did they come out and explain the situation to the half of the hotel stayers that was outside. My husband and our friend which is a volunteer fireman on the side went into the laudry room - where they saw the washing machine that had caught fire. It heated up enough to burn the wall and heat up the floor above it. My husband called the fire department - I happen to be in the lobby when the fire departmment called and the mangement told them that the alarm was pulled by mistake. I couldnt beleve they was flat out lie about what had happened. What if the fire resummed???? Oh and NOOOOOO towels.. What hotel doesnt have towel?? We were told that they could give us a sheet to dry off with. My daughter which is 11 got out of the pool and would not swim due to its uncleaniness. Once everything settled and the fire department did not come. I went to the front desk - between the dirt, mildew smell, no towels, and the fire and it not being reported correctly. I ask the front desk what I was supposed to do - the smell was unbearable. I was told that they would put a ionizer in the room for 1 1/2 hours but no one could be in the room. It is now 10pm I ask what I was supposed to do until 11:30pm and was told to swim in the pool. I did not wish for my 4 and 11 year old to swim until 11:30pm but since everything was booked I said that we would try it and at 11:30pm if the smell wasnt any better we would check out and just head home!! I was then told I could not get a refund. I was completely shooked - after all that had happened - they would not give me my money back. Oh and I had insisted that they contact the manager thinking that a management position would be more understanding of all that had happened. NO - Finally after myself demanding a refund and refusing to leave the front desk until I received it - my money was refunded. We left the hotel and will never go back.

PLEASE BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL. - IT WAS UNCLEAN AND MOST OF ALL UNSAFE.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank pcblover123
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Our room was filty, had dead bugs, our batteries to the romote were taped in, dirty carpet, no linens, smelled awful!
We had the worst experience. We had to wait to have our room "cleaned" before we could check in. We were told 4 and showed up at 5:30. Our room smelled like an old river cabin that had been shut up all summer long. We had no linens. We had to wait another 15 minutes for those. When we wiped our tub with a kleenex it revealed black smut, dirt and hair. We called the guy from the front desk in and he didn't seem to notice the smell ( I guess he was use to it) or seem to be bothered our tub was dirty. We ended up asking for a refund. I told my husband it reminded me of something from a scary movie. We decided we wouldn't even let our dogs stay here.
We ended up going a couple of minutes toward the tanger outlets and found a Holiday Inn, Express. It is brand new and one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in. It is behind the cracker barrel. The city will not allow them to put sign up so you have to look for it. It was wonderful!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizhamner
Jackson, MS
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I booked this hotel on line and thought that I was getting a first rate hotel. First of all on line it is Comfort Inn and when I got there it was Quality Inn. That made me a little upset, after all it was my anniversary and I wanted things to be nice. The room has an oder, bathroom door would not close, carpet dirty. Needless to say it did not live up to the name which is implied "Quality".

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roc2211
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed February 3, 2009

(1) There are two First Streets in Gulf Shores, and - as we did not book the hotel beforehand and were driving around in the dark looking for it without aid of online directions - it was hard to find. Maybe it was because it was 11:00 at night.

(2) There were no cleanliness problems, but somehow the place was just kinda creepy and dated. I can't really explain it. Nothing strange happened, it just did not give me a good feeling.

(3) If you want to be near the beach, this is not the place for you. This hotel is on the other side of the bridge toward Foley. I would recommend finding something closer.

The staff were friendly, but I just can't shake that feeling. I could not recommend this place simply because something about it did not sit well with me.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SED84
New Orleans
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We booked this hotel because we did not want to drive back to Mobile. It was very expensive but it saved a lot of drive time. The lobby gave me a feel of a contemporary hotel but that soon went away when I got to the room. The room just seemed cheap and out of date. There was mold all over the bathroom. My co-workers room smelled like it had been through a flood (My room was on the 2ed floor and his on the 1st.) I had to wait over 15 min. to check out b/c the front desk clerk was outside smoking. the phone also rang off the hook while I waited. I would stay again if I had business nearby but I would never stay if I was on some sort of vacation.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — value
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)