“The bare minimum.”

Red Roof Inn Gulf Shores
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My family and I are actually just leaving this location. Here's the rundown...online, this hotel is named Magnuson Inn and Suites, and there are two locations in Gulf Shores (this is the 3049 1st address)

The place was cheap, around $250, with the use of a 10% off promo. We were looking for somewhere to lay our heads on our weekend trip to gulf shores.

In saying that, we weren't looking for a palace, but we did expect reasonable accomodations. Check in was about 15-20 minutes. The room (second floor) was your typical motel 6 layout (2 beds, microwave, fridge, hair dryer). The room itself was clean at first glance. The bathroom was clean EXCEPT for the tub, which had a black substance in it (the front office said that it was stained and could not be removed, but whenever the water ran, small flakes would surface). We were not able to change rooms, the hotel was fully booked, so we opted to lay a towel in the tub and take showers.

The microwave had electrical issues and kept turning off, but we managed after several attempts. The was a flat screen tv, that was the nicest thing in the room. Other electronics like the hairdryer, clock radio, phone were dirty, good thing we didnt need to use them.

The floor is carpeted and filthy and if walk barefoot for a minute, your feet will be too.The bed sheets were clean, but one comforter was ripped, yet they still used it. The towels in the room were dingy, i dont know if they use bleach. Cleaning service was adequate, they remade the beds and emptied the trash but didn't change the sheets, and I had to wait for extra towels and wash cloths because they "were washing", which meant that I had to wait 20-30 minutes after the room was cleaned to take a shower.

Overall, if you're looking for a cheap stay-close to the beach, wal-mart, and restaurants, it won't "kill" you to stay here, but beware.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank TishTurnerLA

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We arrived at the hotel Jul 7th to find leftover turkey sandwich meat in the refrigerator, and the frige didn't close. There was no shower curtain, therefore water went everywhere. There was mold and peeling paint in the bathroom. The carpet was so dirty it turned your feet black. The microwave was rusted inside. Had to plug in lamps to use them. One lamp didn't work. Another had a faulty plug-in and flickered so we left in unplugged.
Pulled out the side table to use the plug in and found hardened cheese, fruit loops and an empty chip bag. There were 3 of us staying in the room and only had 3 towels, 2 wash clothes and 1 hand towel. On Jul 10th requested new towels and told housekeeping my son would be in the room and just knock, towels never came. I had to get them from the office. The first night we went to bed the sheets were wrinkled like someone had slept in them, and there was Cheetos stain on the pillow case so I had to turn it inside out. Also, a burn hole in the blanket. Desk clerk didn't ask how our stay was at the time of check out.
We picked this hotel because it was close to everything. But never again will I stay at a Travelodge!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank VirginiaKerr1971
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We wanted to stay experience Gulf Shores on our way to FL so we decided to go economical for the night but what a mistake that! Recent reviews about how filthy this hotel is are dead on and very accurate. The hotel booking was listed under the Magnuson Inn but upon arrival the Travel Lodge sign still remains!??? Once we checked in and entered our room couldn't help but notice a musty smell combined with remnants of that of a cigarette smell. So much for a non-smoking room!?? The carpet appeared to have been pulled up and not replaced properly leaving us wondering why it was pulled up in the first place. When we went to bed we didn't even get underneath the covers because we were so uncomfortable with the room itself. In the morning we woke up at around 6:30 AM and decided we wanted to get out from this dump of a hotel ASAP!!! When we proceeded to use the shower, much to our surprise we discovered mold on the shower curtains. Soon there after we packed up our stuff and checked out of the hotel room by 7:00 AM, wheeew what a relief that was! When I told the hotel receptionist that there was mold on the shower curtain, he just said he would "note" it. The free breakfast in the morning is such bogus, all they had was white bread and orange juice so don't be fooled with the offering of free continenetal breakfast! The ONLY good thing about this hotel is that it is fairly close to the beach and restaurants but I would have much rather paid a little more money than to have stayed at such an awful place. I have stayed at hotels for right around the same price in various cities and just figured you pay for what you get but this place does not even compare. My suggestion, enjoy your stay elsewhere and keep away from this bio-hazard of a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel period.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Reconryan
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because it was located decently close to the beach at a price that wasn't crazy. But obviously, you get what you pay for. This hotel was gross. That is the only was to describe it. Our bathroom was missing a chunk out of the ceiling and the floors definitely made you want to keep your shoes on. This is one of those hotels where you just try not to think about it. If possible, find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed May 13, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The outside of this hotel looks very nice however the inside is not. The management doesn't care either and they are not willing to make the customer happy. There was a light bulb my husband had to replace. The carpet was so filthy my husband's feet were totally black from walking about 4 times across the carpet. I am not exaggerating!
You couldn't plug in your laptop because the plug wouldn't stay in the outlet. AT breakfast they had only small plate/saucers. How do you eat a Belgian waffle on a saucer size plate. We asked for plates and they said they didn't have any-REALLY!! Then go to Walmart and pick some up.
At checkout she was going to charge me extra for a safe charge that I didn't use. By the way the safe was filthy -didn't even want to touch it. After I left I noticed a 5$ resort charge WTH-it was no resort believe me. I have stayed at Travelodge before but I will NEVER stay at this one again. You are better off staying at the hotel next door than here. I trusted Wyndham but why they have this listed as there property is beyond me -it's totally awful

Room Tip: Take a look at the room before you decide and watch for hidden fees charged on your bill.!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple