“Reasonably clean and convenient, hardly relaxing”

Beachside Resort Hotel
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed April 8, 2011

The hotel is within short walking distance of the beach (across the street, and there's a crosswalk nearby if you're afraid of jaywalking). The room was pretty clean, with an updated bathroom, and the microwave and fridge were a definite plus. But several of the outlets were unusable (plugs just fell out of them, yikes), and the safe didn't have the key it promised.

But here's the thing. If you happen to be lucky (?) enough to get a room on the side of the hotel (corner, really) where you can see the ocean, you'll also be directly above the hotel bar, where a live band will blast Steve Miller covers and the like every night until you find something else to do just to get away from the noise. It's like having a rude neighbor with lousy taste in music.

And speaking of rude neighbors, get used to that, too. Since this hotel is on the cheaper end of hotels in the area, it doesn't attract the nicest folks. The paper-thin walls don't help that, either. After my first two nights, I knew more about the trashy family next to me than I cared to know, and I had heard more cursewords at the pool than I knew existed.

Definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed March 24, 2011

I guess if you let an old place run down, and never invest a dime in beds, bedding, bathrooms, tv's, carpet, etc. AND you hire cheap untrained help, you can make a short term profit. That must explain how this poor example of a hotel makes it for now. Don't fall into their trap, for around the same price, you can find a much newer hotel with employees who like you and aren't mean to you.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My wife and I had "non-smoking" reservations for 4 nights, starting on Saturday. We got in that evening, and our "non-smoking" room had ashtrays in it and reeked of cigarette smoke. Brandy, who was at the front desk, told my wife we were already in a non-smoking room when we asked to move to another room. She was very rude on the phone, and again in person the next morning. On Saturday night, she said to go stay at another hotel if my wife, who is allergic to tobacco smoke, didn't like it. Brandy said someone probably only smoked "one cigarette" in the room. On Sunday morning I went to the lobby and saw Brandy, who said the manager wasn't around. On the phone, this manager wouldn't apologize but did offer to discount our room by 10% on one occasion and 20% on another. When I could finally meet him, at first, he still didn't admit that we had "non-smoking" reservations and I told him we would go to another hotel. When I gave him a credit card, the discount he had promised suddenly vanished. This manager is dishonest and doesn't care at all about guests. As we were leaving, my wife attempted to tell the manager how poorly Brandy had treated her. Brandy, who was still "working" in the lobby area, interrupted my wife and got very loud, basically going Redneck on her. Then, Brandy slowly pulled a cigarette out and walked out front to smoke. If you are a Redneck who smokes heavily, you might love it there. For others, be advised that your stay there may be miserable. Two days later, my clothes that had been that "non-smoking" room for a night still smelled like stale smoke.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My husband and I decided on a Friday night to make a mini vacation for our kids since they were out of school Monday. I looked online and this hotel was the best deal only 60 something including tax a night so booked the room. The location is ideal right across frm the beach and you can walk to alot of shops and restaurants. We liked how clean it was the kids watched cartoons at night while i used the wireless internet. Only cons I can think of is they didnt have a clock or coffee pot in the room and the breakfast was small basically just debbie cakes. This is a great place for a weekend we always get hotels around feb the temp gets over 70 but its still winter so you get the best prices without all of people.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gwen43018
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay for a wedding for one night, but was eventually unable to go. I cancelled my reservation within the alotted amount of time and was told they couldn't email a cancellation confirmation, but could give me a confirmation code instead. I was charged for a night's stay on my card anyways. When I called to ask that it be refunded, they told me that the code I was presented was incorrect and that there was nothing they could do. It took me two weeks of calling every day and hearing excuses like, 'I'll have to check the documentation' and 'let me check with accounting and I will give you a call back tomorrow' before they finally posted a refund to my account. Even then, it was less than the initial amount charged. This place is bad news - do not make reservations here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel before 3 years ago but the 2nd The trip was simply awsome...... after i read the reviews i was scared to go there again, but then i thought to give a chance to look at. But when i check the property there was nothing wrong, i don't no what all people wrote, we got good weekly rate $233, and front desk so friendly. Got info from them they are making changes.
warm continental breakfast from March on words.
only thing pool was close, well i understand bcoz of winter it was cold there.
Sorry forget to inform you they change the door locks its sweet. cool....i haven't seen this locks yet any hotel,

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2010

The room was bright, clean and spacious, and we found the staff friendly and helpful. Location is ideal for spending time on the beach, right across the street, and also close to nearby stores and restaurants. The continental breakfast was pretty limited, but the coffee was hot and good. The biggest plus was that we could keep our dog with us there. We will stay there again when we return to Gulf Shores.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple