“The Little Zoo that Could...and DID!”

Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Gulf Shores
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo is home to more than 500 exotic animals including lions, tigers, bears, macaws, reptiles and more. It also features a seasonal petting zoo, animal encounters and interactive animal shows during the spring and summer months.
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Little Zoo that Could...and DID!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

As an avid animal lover I've been to dozens of zoo's in my day, We check them out everywhere we go including over seas and this is by Far THE best lil zoo I've ever had the priveledge to visit! They are SO personable and friendly. We have been there about 4/5 times now and each time we try to say hello to Patty. She always treats us like long lost friends she's happy to see and I know she sees many people every day! A lot of people who may not have seen the TV series may not know that many of these anilmals have been hand raised by these folks in their homes and are treated like the family pet. I LOVE that we can interact with different animals each time we go, Never been to another zoo where I could do that. You learn So much more about them when you can fulfill your dream to handle them. I love the special way they relate to the animals and how excited the animals get when they see or hear one of the staff in their area. The animals are Always up and active when we are there, unlike other zoos where they lay around all depressed! They are ALWAYS finding new and fun things for their animals to do to keep them active and occupied. Don't see that any where else either. They are never bored and neither are we when we go! We know them by name and keep up with their activities online. I can't wait to see them get moved into their new facilities, I hope it they will still find a way to keep it very personable, quaint and interactive! Love, love LOVE them SO much for all they do for these animals!! God Bless them!!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Debbie B

Muscle Shoals, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Our favorite Alabama Zoo!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We attended this zoo on a short family trip to Gulf Shores. It was definitely worth the price and very convenient location to other attractions! The staff was very friendly and loved their job. I believe the animals were very well cared for as were the zoo grounds. If you are in the area, I would highly suggest visiting the zoo for a non-expensive, fun family outing! A+++

Visited September 2012
2 Thank buttrfly456
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Its such a wonderful place to visit.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I love the Gulf Shores Zoo. The animals are a delight and the staff are wonderful. I try and visit at least once a week.

2 Thank Little_greenfrog23
Marietta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Best Zoo, Best Employees Make it Great”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

On our visit to the Gulf Coast Zoo, we were able to interact with animals from the minute we stepped out of the car; there was a cute little tame rabbit lying on the grass in the parking lot and he came hopping over to us, wanting to be petted. Once inside, we were able to see so many animals up close that we had never seen that close before, such as the cervil cats, the tigers, the big brown bear, lots and lots of birds and so many more. The employees truly love and care for these animals as if they were household pets. It made me wish I could take home a leopard, or at least work for the zoo so I could help take care of it. :) Best zoo we've ever seen, even better than Atlanta or B'ham because there is no "zoo smell" to contend with, just lots of fresh air.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank prestonjack41
Gulf Shores, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“fun day at the zoo”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We weren't expecting much when as we pulled in to the parking lot off Rte 59 but were surprised at the wide array of wild animals at this small zoo. It's no Riverbank Zoo (Columbia, S.C) but they don't pretend to be. One has to feel sorry for the large tigers, bears and lions being cooped up in rather small pens, but we assumed that they were probably rescued from a far worse fate, and these people seem to care about the animals and are doing the best they can with limited land and resources.

Visited February 2013