“Its such a wonderful place to visit.”

Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Gulf Shores
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo is home to more than 500 exotic animals including lions, tigers, bears, macaws, reptiles and more. It also features a seasonal petting zoo, animal encounters and interactive animal shows during the spring and summer months.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Its such a wonderful place to visit.”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I love the Gulf Shores Zoo. The animals are a delight and the staff are wonderful. I try and visit at least once a week.

2 Thank Little_greenfrog23

Marietta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Best Zoo, Best Employees Make it Great”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

On our visit to the Gulf Coast Zoo, we were able to interact with animals from the minute we stepped out of the car; there was a cute little tame rabbit lying on the grass in the parking lot and he came hopping over to us, wanting to be petted. Once inside, we were able to see so many animals up close that we had never seen that close before, such as the cervil cats, the tigers, the big brown bear, lots and lots of birds and so many more. The employees truly love and care for these animals as if they were household pets. It made me wish I could take home a leopard, or at least work for the zoo so I could help take care of it. :) Best zoo we've ever seen, even better than Atlanta or B'ham because there is no "zoo smell" to contend with, just lots of fresh air.

4 Thank prestonjack41
Gulf Shores, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“fun day at the zoo”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We weren't expecting much when as we pulled in to the parking lot off Rte 59 but were surprised at the wide array of wild animals at this small zoo. It's no Riverbank Zoo (Columbia, S.C) but they don't pretend to be. One has to feel sorry for the large tigers, bears and lions being cooped up in rather small pens, but we assumed that they were probably rescued from a far worse fate, and these people seem to care about the animals and are doing the best they can with limited land and resources.

2 Thank Howza1126
Madison, Mississippi, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The Zoo was Great”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Me and my wife of 24 years are on vacation and saw the zoo advertised. We checked out the reviews. Fortunately, we ignored the bad reviews and went anyway. It was absolutely the best thing we could have done. Everything was clean and just a fun way to spend time together.

4 Thank Gina C
Mobile, Alabama, United States
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Just OK attraction”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I only live about an hour away from this zoo but I had never been. I decided to take my 3 year old son since he loves animals. I guess I am a bit spoiled as I have been to other larger zoos including Birmingham & Atlanta. This zoo is very small and everything feels very cramped. They had a lot of "farm" animals (goats and sheep). They had a few tigers and a couple of lions and some other interesting animals but I felt it was lacking, especially when you compare it to the other larger zoos. Maybe their move to the new location will give them more room for more animals and the opportunity to create a better "flow." My son seemed to enjoy it very much even if momma felt a bit bored by it.

Visited January 2013