“Thought I'd Give It a Shot. Wish I Hadn't!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magnuson Hotel and Suites Gulf Shores

Magnuson Hotel and Suites Gulf Shores
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Mississippi
“Thought I'd Give It a Shot. Wish I Hadn't!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

Background

A friend of mine, his girlfriend, my girlfriend and I decided to take a weekend mini vacation to Gulf Shores between our spring breaks (three of us had spring break one week, another had it the next week). I did a little research online to figure out which hotel would be best for our budget and distance to the beach. After brief discussion, I told my friends and girlfriend that the La Quinta looked to be our best option, despite some negative reviews. I just chalked up those negative reviews to those people being negative people who complain about everything. Well, I wish I had listened to those reviews.

Arrival

When we arrived on Friday evening, I went inside to check in and to get our room keys. I expected to be greeted by a friendly, smiling face, but I guess that was too much to ask. There were two ladies standing there, and neither was remotely friendly. The entire opening transaction was conducted with sour looks on their faces. Nevertheless, I got the room keys and was determined to block that out of my mind.

I went back and helped the others bring the luggage up to the second-story room, and when we walked up to the door we saw that the light was blinking red on our door. Weird, I thought. So I slid the key card into the slot and pulled it back out just as the diagram on the door indicates, and nothing happened. We messed with it for five minutes before going back down. It turns out the key card reader's battery was dead.

So for the entire trip we were forced to ask someone at the front desk to unlock our door each time we wanted into our room. As I expected, no clerk ever did this with a smiling face. And by Saturday night we had to bring the keys up there and take them back down because the clerks were too lazy to go up there and unlock our room for us. And the place wasn't even booked to capacity at all. I don't understand why they couldn't just put us in another room when they saw the battery was dead.

The Hotel Room

When we finally got into the room, it was so stuffy. So I go over to turn the air conditioner down and cool the room a bit. However, I stumbled upon a bit of a snag when I attempted to do that because the knob that controlled how hot/cold the air would be was broken. My girlfriend had some tweezers in her purse, so I messed with it for literally 15 minutes and turned it all the way down. There was basically no middle ground as far as room temperature was concerned unless you had about 10-20 minutes to devote to it each time you wanted to change the temperature.

The beds were decent, which meant they were probably one of the best parts about the room. Our room also had a microwave and a refrigerator, but the refrigerator hardly even kept anything cold. While on the subject of cold, I should also mention the icemaker on the second floor was out of order.

The Pool/Hot Tub

We went to the pool and the hot tub on our first night there, and we were grossly disappointed. They are both on the inside, but the pool was freezing cold. And taking a dip in the hot tub was like jumping into lukewarm bath water.

The Continental Breakfast

My friend and his girlfriend went down to the continental breakfast on the Saturday morning we were there, and they raved about it. They said there was an older lady in there who was eager to assist them and asked them if they wanted waffles immediately when they walked into the room. They said the breakfast consisted of cereal, milk, bruised fruit and mini muffins.

Check-Out

We checked out on Sunday at the appointed 11:00 check-out time. Was I greeted and asked if I enjoyed my stay? Nah, of course not. The clerk was too busy talking to who I assume was her boyfriend/love interest.

Knowing that we paid $355 to stay there for two nights still makes me sick to my stomach. If I ever venture to Gulf Shores again, I will be sure to stay elsewhere.

I would STRONGLY urge you to stay elsewhere as well. I'm not hard to please at all when it comes to hotels, and I found this place to be subpar.

• Liked — The continental breakfast, according to my friends
  • Disliked — The fact that I couldn't get into my room when I wanted to
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank TheCleverGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Walker County, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

My boss had booked this room for me as I traveled to a conference in the area. I had never stayed there and therefore checked tripadvisor to read reviews. I found my experience to be vastly different. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice and the beds were comfortable. I was traveling with my dog and the staff was very helpful and provided dog treats in the front lobby. The continental breakfast was also very good. My only problems were low water flow in the shower (they were fixing it the last night of my visit) and I had a problem with a light blowing in the bathroom on my last night. I spoke to the manager and she offered to move my room. I told her that it was my last nght and my dog was very comfortable, so she provided me with a nice discount on my room that night. As I was checking out, the rooms were each being equipped with their own safe. The hotel was in the heart of everything and I always felt safe. I will be attending the conference again next year and will definitely be staying there.

• Liked — Pet friendly and Safe
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

I wished I had checked here before staying in this place. I would not recommend this hotel. It took over 45 min to check in and that is just the start of the problems. I should have gotten wise at that point but was too tired. We checked out ASAP the next day and went to the Best Western on the Beach. Much better hotel and only $19 more per night.
Here is a list of just some of the issues:
Staff was rude
"Pool" (and I use that term loosely) was Awful
Beds were nasty
Bathroom was tiny and nasty
TV was broken
Room smelled like animal Urine

I have no wish to go on. My 12yo even asked me if we could go somewhere else. Please don't waste your money on this "Hotel" (and again I use that term loosely)

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank Hooah900

Travelers are raving about these Gulf Shores hotels

Jasper, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2007

Decided to give LQ Gulf Shores another try. This time pool/hot tub area was closed for much needed renovations. Also, there was hardly any breakfast food for the free continental breakfast. Rate was $55/night for double queen room. Room has been renovated since our stay in Feb. 2007. Fresh carpet, paint, and furniture. If you are looking for a place close to the beaches of Gulf Shores, this is a decent place but don't expect the pool/hot tub to be working or a hearty breakfast.

• Liked — Newly renovated, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Indoor pool/hot tub has not been working on past 2 visits to motel.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bstargel
Laurinburg, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

I hadn't planned on staying at this hotel and had reservations elsewhere, but due to overbooking I was sent here. This stay was pretty good. The bed was comfy, and there were no major issues with the room. The staff at the desk and the housekeepers were all quite nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank crash1811
kansas city
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2007

Stayed during spring break. When checking in, desk sent some guests to Comfort Inn. Stayed on second floor. Dog barked for two hours in the evening. Happen to ride elevater with guest who had dog. Told us dog was 14 years old and expexted us to understand. All I know is that animals that old don't bother going outside to do their job. Five inch hole in top bed cover. Might have been chewed by animal. Guests are asked to put all dirty towels in hall. Two bath towels, two wash clothes and one hand towel per room. Milk in small cartons on ice. You can find more behind bar. Most mornings someone needed to find some. No cream for coffee or I could not find any. Waffel mix was only avaiable on our last day. No waffel machine. Constant leak in shower. Don't bother writting company about conditions. They don't respond.

Stayed March 2007
7 Thank KansasCityDancer
alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

This was the absolute worst hotel I have stayed in!!! The beds had stains on them! There was hair in the tubs and on the shower walls!!! And to top that all off........The water was cold!!!! I wouldn't recommend this site to my worst enemy!

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — the filthy rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — bring cleaning products!!!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple