“baked oysters--great. Rest just fair”

Original Oyster House
Ranked #10 of 161 Restaurants in Gulf Shores
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Nashville
“baked oysters--great. Rest just fair”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had the baked oysters sampler and it was 1st class. I very literally licked the plate. The rest of our food was fair--not great. My wife had crab claws, they were nothing special. My son had fried shrimp which was also very pedestrian. I had grouper and it was ok, but not great. The portion sizes were huge, but I would have preferred better quality (I am 6'5" and 230# so I don't wish for smaller portions often)

• Visited February 2013

Nashville, TN
“Always great”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a must for us every trip to the area. Best food and value around. You can't go wrong ordering anything on the menu. But we're partial to the shrimp.

East Troy
“Love the Oyster House!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We generally eat at the Oyster House at least one time when we are in Gulf Shores. We enjoy their salad bar, menu variety and love the gumbo! The Oyster House has a great view and a very casual atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“great oysters at The Original Oyster House”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I love my oystesrs, fried, baked or raw, and this is a good place to get your fill. And the gumbo is terrific. I even went back and bought a quart for dinner a few nights after eating dinner there. Will definitely go back.

Visited January 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wonderful fresh seafood like we had in the 1950s”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

As we all know from experience...too many Gulf restaurants no longer serve actual fresh Gulf fish. We were steered here by a stranger we met as we were checking into a condo. He overheard us asking the desk person for seafood recommendations. He pulled me aside and told me he was from here but now lived in Dallas. He said every time he comes home he heads to the Original Oyster House. I am so pleased we listened. The place was packed for lunch on this Sunday and we had to wait for about 15 minutes. It was well worth the wait. We asked the server what the fresh catch was and were almost shocked to hear him reply they had Grouper, Red Snapper, and Trigger fish. I love Trigger fish because they are hard to find. We both ordered the grilled Trigger with baked potatoes and cole slaw....for $10.95 each. A glass of Chardonnay for her and beer for me and we were on our way. The fish was perfectly prepared, fresh as possible and tasted great. The baked potatoes were served steaming hot and were equally delicious. Great service, fresh seafood perfectly prepared, great service, and a manager who checked on our table twice. He told us they had been in business and successful for over 35 years. It's easy too see why. The next day we decided to try a different place for a change thinking they would all be special down here. Went to Bahama Bobs and as we were waiting for our table I happened to ask a server what the fresh fish was. She gave me a name I could not pronounce....then said: "It's sort of like Grouper or Tilapia"! We walked out. Went from there to Docs and had the exact same response to this question. I don't get it but the Original Oyster House is looking better and better.

• Visited February 2013