“Excellent steamed shrimp, decent fried fish”

S & S Seafood Market
Ranked #19 of 164 Restaurants in Gulf Shores
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We got take-out in an assortment of different signature items: Fried shrimp, steamed creole shrimp, fried grouper, fried snapper, fried cobia, and of course french fries. Seafood is priced by the LB with a $2 upcharge for frying per LB and a $1 upcharge for steaming per LB. The steamed shrimp was great with the creole seasoning being just salty and just spicy enough. The fried shrimp was good. The fried fish was decent but overcooked. The fish fillets are pretty thin, presumably to cook quickly, but all were past done and not as moist as they should be. If you have a long drive, like we did to Orange Beach (20 minutes), fried fish packed in styrofoam containers (even with vent holes) will not be as delicious when you get home. Saying this, the fries were very good - 1 box was plenty for the 6 of us. Were we to go again, I'd get the steamed and fried shrimp and skip the fish unless you're cooking the fish at home.
A small gripe is that they do not have an online menu. If you haven't been there before to get a "real" menu, you need to call and have someone at S & S read you of available fish and prices which is a bit of a pain. Also, one of their available fish is cobia, which is a great grilling fish. Unfortunately, S & S seafood will only steam or fried it for you and fried cobia is just not good eats. I'm surprised that they tell diners that they don't fry cobia as this is not the best way to prepare that fish. Broiling is a much better option if you can't grill it. We got it fried, and let's say that no one was a fan.
Trip Advisor doesn't give the option of a 3 1/2 circle / star rating, but I would have rated S & S 3 1/2 if I could have done so. I gave them a 4 rating as I thought that they were closer to "Very Good" than "Average".

4  Thank jdholman

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is a great little market to pick up local seafood, which you can cook yourself or have them cook for you. A couple pounds of steamed shrimp was a great easy dinner while visiting the beach. My only complaint was that they were not properly cleaned, so the "poop trail" was still intact. Most folks don't care, I guess. But as much volume as they put out, I suppose they don't have time.

In any case, it was delish and comes in three levels of seasoning, mild, cajun and spicy.

1  Thank arf00die
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Pretty good. The shrimp was a bit too spicy for the whole family (kids). But, given the location, we love it. We've been going there for years (before it was S&S). Great family platters/sides. Good and easy seafood after (during?) a long day at the beach. Walkable if you are on West Beach.

1  Thank KLingus
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I heard about S & S and how good it was. We got their shrimp meal take out. The waiter said it would take an hour. When we got our food it wasn't fresh at all. The French fries were stale. My blackened shrimp was tough to chew and cold. My husband ordered the fried shrimp and it wasn't good at all. We were very disappointed.

5  Thank MSgirl99
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We loved this place! We ordered our food earlier in the afternoon and it was ready for our 5pm pick up....no wait at all! The lady helping us was so nice and the service was excellent. We got the jumbo shrimp and snow crab legs all creole steamed along with corn and hush puppies for around $35....and I have never had fresher seafood. We then walked across the street and ate at the beach...you couldn't pay for a better view and it was completely free. Best place in town! Did I mention the no wait time?! Awesome!

2  Thank MaryAshley

Been to S & S Seafood Market? Share your experiences!