“Oysters!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Steamer & Baked Oyster Bar
Ranked #25 of 153 Restaurants in Gulf Shores
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Paducah, Kentucky, United States
“Oysters!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had 3 different types of oysters. I liked all 3, but my wife didn't like the steamed oysters. Service was good.

Visited July 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't go!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I never write reviews, but this has to be said! We ordered 2 dozen oysters. They were FULL of grit, extremely overcooked & were smaller than the jalapenos on them. A friend and I ordered a steamer plate. They were cold & just okay. My daughter ordered a sandwich & the sweet potato waffle fries, they were cold as ice. The stuffed potato looked like something from a frozen meal. I did not complain to the manager, though I should have. I did not want them to think that I was looking for a free meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank S E
New Orleans, Louisiana
“We Loved our FOOD!! ...Nothing is Fried!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The steamer
...NOTHING FRIED!!
It's all baked, grilled or steamed!! We were thrilled to see a restaurant like this!!
In the Deep South; it seems it's all 'fried' ... & night after night... Ohhhhh the temptation! (smile)
So GLad we decided to eat here!!
We almost didn't, because of the recent T.A. reviews, but we were hungry!
Hubby ordered Big crab- combo!
He had 3 Huge Dungeness & 3 SnowCrab clusters, but they gave him about 6 clusters; $40
I ordered the SnowCrab 3 clusters; $19
Both of our meals came with corn on the cob, small amount of sausage, the best New Potatoes EVER, and a small portion of cole slaw!!
They do not serve Hot Butter; it's on the table in what looks like a Big Mustard Bottle.
The Snow Crab were not very Hot, so getting my crab out was a little tougher-- but it was very good!
4yr old had corn dogs (oven baked)-- again, Everything was really good!
ORDER the ROYAL REDS!!! It's better tasting than SHRIMP!!
If you have a large party - share one big pound as an app!! They bring out big buckets to throw shells in!
If its just 2 of you; then it's 99 cents per RoyaL Red! (We ordered that way)
Next time we will split hubbys meal & order more ROYAL REDS!!!
The owner has 4 locations:
Shrimp Basket (Everything is fried), the sTeamer (Nothing is Fried), Mike's Seafood & City Grill ....
The customer service is not as we expected- all staff are young cute gals with tShirts & short short shorts- all have accents that sound Russian!
We were placed on a 20 min waiting list -the young hostess sat a group of gals that were after us on the list! Be clear if you want indoor seating or outdoor seating ... Or first available.
It's the beach; so a laid back attitude is clearly with the hostess staff!
The servers do have 'hustle' .. we arrived at 9pm, and they were moving like it was still the 5pm supper rush!! Our server was very kind, and did a good job.
We will eat here again!
Many T.A. Reviews said, 'dirty, shabby, etc' ... Well, it's the SEAfood-- oysters are being shucked every second- snow crab shells are being cracked, and shrimp are being peeled!! You have to work for dinner/food-- YOU & things get messy!! We didn't think it was that bad at all!
It's a Beach atmosphere- picnic tables & water misting off the patio!
If you can overlook that; you will be glad you did! 4 & 5* star restaurants are not a part of Beach Living! (that's what you are escaping)
I added a picture; what looks like Ketchup & Mustard Bottles are actually Cocktail Sauce & Southern Butter!!
A roll of paper towels are on every table- because you need a full roll!!
Hope You enjoy your meal at the sTeamer!!

kksg13
“BEST steam buckets in Gulf Shores!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place is a TOTAL dump but the steam buckets are worth the nasty bathrooms and questionable decor. You are coming here SIMPLY for the royal reds, raw oysters, crab legs or other steamed seafood.
The customer service is bizarre and most of the waitresses have either a Russian accent or something else that can barely be understood in the loud restaurant. There is NO thinking outside the box by any staff member but the food is worth it. I always get the steam bucket but my mom ordered the best looking hamburger I have ever seen. She said it was really great.

Brookhaven, Mississippi
“Ate here twice on our recent trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently returned from Gulf Shores. My husband wanted crab legs, and based on trip advisor advice, we went to the Steamer. We were not disappointed. We got the little lagoon platter for two, and it was awesome. We were able to substitute more shrimp for the mussles and more corn for cole slaw. We liked it so much we went back the next night also.