“Very Nice.....and clean!!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I am very picky about where I lay my head. I will certainly come back here. It wasn't on the beach which was a bummer but what we paid for two nights here, we would've had to pay for one night on the beach. It was very clean. I inspect the bathroom and the bed before I even put my luggage down. I didn't find one hair, lol! We were very pleased! Only downside, VERY SMALL Pool!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abeth1989

Reviewed May 30, 2010

I decided to turn what would normally be a day-trip into an overnight stay and booked one night at the Holiday Inn Express, so I could spend the whole day in Gulf Shores, and return home after a good rest. I have no idea why another reviewer called this place "isolated" and "hard to find". True, it's not directly on the beach or directly on the main thoroughfare (Hwy. 59) that runs through the heart of Gulf Shores. It IS directly behind a bank, but unless you need glasses, it's NOT hard to miss -- at four stories, it's the tallest building in a very well-developed area. Add a large, illuminated "H" on the front of the building that faces Alabama Hwy. 59, a heavily-traveled, four-lane road that runs straight to the beach, and you shouldn't even NEED GPS to find it.
I don't know how well other reviewers did their research or paid attention to their surroundings, but there are SEVERAL restaurants within WALKING distance all around it -- both fastfood AND sit-down. You're only about a mile from the beach and this is a major tourist-oriented district, so there are also plenty of sidewalks and crosswalks. There are nature trails, a zoo AND a waterpark (Waterville) within half a mile of this hotel.
The hotel itself FEELS new (at least it did to ME), but it also feels a little smaller than other places I've stayed at in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. I do agree that the pool area is much smaller that you'd expected -- it almost looks like an afterthought, tucked against the eastern end of the hotel, directly adjacent to the parking lot.
Inside, there's a fitness center and a business center with two computers and a printer, free to guests.
My room was a regular room with a single queen-sized bed, with pillows that were labeled (on the pillowcases) as either being firm or soft. There's a good-sized flatscreen television, with enough "free" channels so you won't feel it necessary to spend extra for in-room movies (unless you're so inclined). There's a small microwave and a small refrigerator (NOT a mini-bar -- this one is completely empty, to be stocked with your own groceries). There's a small coffee-maker, with enough supplies for two cups of coffee and two cups of tea. There is an ice dispenser and vending machines down the hall, near the elevators (except on the first floor, where they put it at the end of the corridor next to a door leading outside.)
The most outstanding feature was the bathroom. It was so spacious and had such upscale features (granite countertops and shelves in the bathtub), it felt downright luxurious compared to the rest of the room AND other places I've stayed before.
There's no room service, but you do get complimentary breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage, cinnamon rolls, cold cereal and other things along those lines). The scrambled eggs and sausage were good, but obviously cooked in a microwave and not on a grill. There's plenty of hot coffee, hot tea and hot cocoa, too.
There's plenty to do in Gulf Shores. Public beaches are located at the very end of Hwy. 59, about a mile from this hotel. There are also beautiful beaches at Gulf State Park, about another 3 miles east of Hwy. 59 on Beach Boulevard.
The upside of not being directly on the beach or directly on the main road is the peace and quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank FayeB57
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Great staff, room and bed. Very busy place. We enjoyed time there.

Coming in to Gulf Shores from the north we followed the Holiday Inn website directions and couldn't find the hotel. I also used my Garmin Nuvi gps and put in the address and still couldn't find the hotel! We finally broke down and called and were given much better directions and found it right away. We didn't spot it before because the hotel is mainly hidden behind a Wachovia building and you only spot the sign for a second between buildings or if you happen to look back as you go past the location.

A very new Holiday Inn that's starting to show wear in places. They need to watch the general maintenance or it's going to start going downhill. I say this because I noticed a number of dirty walls throughout, main entrance doors were often having to be temporarily fixed by front desk staff and other issues that seemed unusual for hotel that appears to be only a year or 2 old.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank northernRaven
Reviewed March 25, 2010

My family and I stayed for one night on our way to the Florida beaches. Our experience was very different than the other reviews I have read. The hotel sits in an isolated area behind a bank. There are no restaurants or shops within walking distance. After a long drive I asked the front desk staff if they would upgrade us to a suite as I am a long-time priority club member. He abruptly denied this so I asked to at least get an AARP rate, again a firm "no." We went to the room and the key did not work so had to come back to the front desk. The door to the room did not shut properly so when we left we had to make sure it was closed. We went to the outdoor pool which was very small and the hot tub was not working. The next morning at breakfast two of my children selected donuts that were so hard they were inedible. The only positive thing I can say about breakfast is the coffee was good and the attendant was very gracious and friendly. The hotel is quite a long way from the beach. There were so many other alternatives in the area, I would not waste my time with this place.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank DrDH
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Spent one night at the Holiday Inn Express Gulf Shores. Was in town to spend a few days with family. Was nicely surprised by our experience as this hotel.

Pros:
- New hotel
- Rooms were clean and modern
- Staff was very friendly and accomodating
- Good central location

Cons:
- None to speak of

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Gulf Shores area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2010

WE stayed one night, after reading the reviews on trip advisor, decided to try it. This hotel was very clean, had granite in the bathroom, beds were very comfortable. It opened mid 2009 so that is key to not having a worn out place. Staff was very helpful and breakfast was very good. What more could anyone want for around $80 a night.(Which we came on a Sunday) weekends I'm sure are more. We stayed the Sunday night after Christmas weekend. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone.!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renee D
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights which were really surprising. The hotel is clean and nicely decorated. My kids and I felt very at home. The staff was phenominal and was there to help in a minute. I would definately recommend this hotel 100%. Nice price, area and atmosphere!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Hampton Inn Gulf Shores
#1 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gulf Shores

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores? Share your experiences!