“Nice hotel in good order, OK location,”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Our six night stay here was uneventful and comfortable. The hotel is situated about 1.5 miles from the beach. For the fitter amongst us this is quite walkable and there is a sidewalk all the way.

Despite the booking for a standard room, my IHG Platinum status meant we were allocated one of their larger "suites"; as requested on the top floor, which was a good gesture. In addition, we were generously (!) given a bottle of water and one small bag of potato chips (crisps).

The room was very spacious and very comfortable. We experienced no noise nuisance. The bathroom had everything it needed and was perfectly clean. Overall - pretty much at the better end of "standard" fror the HI Express chain in the USA.

In common with all HI EXpress locations there is a complimentary breakfast which, whilst not the fully comprehensive thing one might expect in a separate restaurant is nevertheless quite suifficient to start the day; hot items including eggs, biscuits, gravy, sausage or bacon, and the excellent and addictive Cinnamon Roll. Plus bread, pastries, dairy products, juices and hot drinks.

Those who know HI Express as a brand in the USA will know what to expect; this unit appears fairly new and offers therefore a good standard of accomodation, close to, but not ON the nearby beach. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked this hotel last minute when we had to come to town for a funeral. The staff was friendly, the rooms were nice and the location was fantastic. Although it might have been because it was the off season, I found the hotel to be incredibly quiet. The beds were a little too hard for my taste, but that's just personal preference. Breakfast was okay; nothing spectacular. I did enjoy the little machine that made pancakes. I would stay here again if I was every in town. It was the best value around.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I reserved a four night stay with this hotel in end of July. On our fourth night the noise from the bar outside our room was unbearable. I contacted the front desk and the manager said the bar should have been closed and he would check it out. Two hours later, at 4:30 am the noise was no better and my daughter and I were wide awake. Unfortunately, we were scheduled to leave the following morning. We decided driving after a couple hours of sleep was not our best choice. We moved to a room on the other side of the hotel to avoid this from happening again. They seemed to care less that we were up all night. Upon leaving we found we were charged a rate that was $100 higher than our original room. It was the same basic room. I made several calls after arriving home to complain, but was told the manager would have to address my problem and he wasn't available. I made several calls and left voice mails. Guess what-never heard back. Horrible way to treat guests. I would've expected them to make up for the crappy night they put us through, instead of just ignoring it.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the rooms by the bar
Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Susan L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Susan L,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is along a very busy highway and you must drive to the beach. There is a bar behind it which can be quite loud and disruptive if your room is near it. Overall the hotel is clean and the rooms are nice. However, other than one pleasant young woman, the front desk staff was rather unfriendly. The biggest problem we had was being overcharged for an extra night's stay. When we decided to stay one more night, we were not informed we were being charged significantly more than our previous nights. And we were paying "regular" rates from their hotel website to begin with, not anything discounted by Priceline or anything. So it jumped from $150/night to $250 for the final night! Definitely something we should have been informed of up front. Upon discovering the issue, it was apparently too late, as our several phone calls were never returned by the hotel manager. So we got stuck paying an extra $100 the last night. For this price, we could have stayed beachfront. Truly unprofessional of the manager to avoid dealing with a customer issue like this. We stay at the Holiday Inn brand all the time, but I would NEVER stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room far away from a nearby bar
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank beim4
Robert M, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

I just wanted to extend to you my deepest apologies regarding the issues you experienced with your reservation. We, here at the Holiday inn of Gulf Shores, pride ourselves on our customer service and hospitable staff. We strive to provide a comfortable and peaceful setting for the frequent traveler, and can certainly understand how experiencing the issues you have endured while at our property can leave you with a negative opinion.
We genuinely value your business. We would like to emphasize that this is not the way The Holiday Inn Express & Suites of Gulf Shores normally operates. Our hiring process is very thorough and we have always prided ourselves on having the best of the best. I cannot apologize enough for the inadequate service you have received and the behavior that has unfortunately been representative of our hotel staff. I know that is not the skilled, well trained and trusting staff that you have come to know and love at the Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel was in a good location-not too far from the beach! The public beach is about a mile down the road. The rooms were clean, the breakfast was good, and the staff was very friendly. The pool was small, but who needs a pool when you are visiting the beach?! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CLSG6807
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

My review is a little late, as we stayed here at the end of June for a night.

Some of the more popular hotels were booked along the highway strip that runs along the beach, but we found it unnecessary to stay in any of those. One, the prices were higher in those places. Two, this hotel was just right around the corner from those---still pretty much like a 2- minute drive from the beach and a 5-15 minute drive the opposite way to restaurants, the outlets in Foley, and some amusement parks (think mini golf and rides).

We had paid more for this hotel than we wanted , but it was in the middle of summer but still cheaper than the other places. However I understand with the places right on the beach, a person wouldn't have to worry about driving.

We were pleasantly surprised to find that we were considered VIPs and had our room upgraded to a suite at no charge. The front desk staff (one young lady, maybe in her 20s) was very accomodating and gave me easy directions around, since we had not been to Gulf Shores to stay before.

The room was comfortable and our stay was nice. Breakfast seemed lacking a little (I guess we expected more selections, considering how busy the hotel seemed and highchairs would have been helpful), but it was enough for us.

We only stayed one night, but it was worth it. Thanks for the good front desk service and a surprising upgrade.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were great. The location is perfect for shopping, beach walking and just being out of the busy flow of traffic. I plan on using this hotel every time I go back to Gulf Shores!

• Stayed: October 2012
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gulf Shores
Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores? Share your experiences!