“Glad to be back, and food and service better than 2 yrs ago!”
Review of The Hangout

The Hangout
Ranked #36 of 167 Restaurants in Gulf Shores
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: The Hangout is a beach front open air restaurant and entertainment complex offering breakfast (seasonal), lunch and dinner. Family fun, games, live entertainment, shopping, and more. Open year round with activities and special events there is always something happening at The Hangout. Family friendly foam party, sand pile, ping pong, Foosball, and ring toss, 2 stages, 4 bars, restaurant that can accommodate large groups, dancing, games & prizes, and so much more it is truly a destination. Come make some memories on the beach at The Hangout!
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We called in the morning as the kids had a blast at the foam party in 2012, but we wanted to make sure that we were there when it was going to take place. We go there at noon as we were told noon and then every 2 hours until the band starts. We told the staff when we got there that our kids couldn't wait for the foam party... no one really seemed to know when it was going to happen, but they were going to make it happen for us. It was kind of comical when our server (Sabrina who was fabulous) asked one of the other guys at 12:40 what time the foam was going to go off and he said noon. Communication or someone in charge is needed here.
My husband had a very good hamburger, I had the fish tacos. One daughter had the chicken tenders fried and the one one had them grilled. Everyone enjoyed their food. It was great for the girls to go and play in the sand while we enjoyed a few adult beverages...so it wasn't a big deal that the foam didn't go off at the time they had said. It did eventually go off.
At the end we moved to one of the picnic tables and watched the girls play. I asked the girls and this was their favorite place we ate the whole week.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,445)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

What a great combination of food, drinks and the beach. From the huge bar you look out across the parking lot to the beach and the gulf. The restaurant is huge and the outside has lots to do for you and the kids. Live music after 7. The food is good and the portions large. Full bar and great selection from a dozen draft beers. Priced a little high, but you are right on the water. Parking in the city lot surrounding the area is $5 for all day. Expect a wait on sunny weekends.

1  Thank KegMaster
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Yes it's a tourist trap and like most the food is over priced, the wait times are above average, and the service is marginal. However this is offset by a fun, lively environment that most all will enjoy. They cater to both child and adult. The pork panini and fish tacos were good and exceeded expectations.

1  Thank stilts16
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have been to the hangout about 3 times, my family and I usually go to the beach every summer and The Hangout is somewhere we usually always stop at, but last time it was terrible! On my most recent visit there ( on a Saturday afternoon in the summer) my family and I, plus our family friends walked into the resturant thinking okay let's grab some grub- haha NOT! First of all it was EXTREMELY CROWDED! Which I guess you might have to expect considering The Hangout is a popular resturant and the beach is always crowded in the summer, Secondly once we were finally seated ( we had about a 35 minute wait) we got our menus, & once we did my heart almost dropped to my stomach can you say PRICEY, if you wanted a kids meal with a milkshake it would be around $12.00 are you kidding me??!! My daughter who is 14 years old wanted around 3-4 chicken fingers with fries, they didn't have it, all they had was the chicken finger appitizer ( just chicken fingers for around $15.00) or chicken fingers and fries off the kids menu, which they informed us she was to old to order off of!!! A simple Cobb salad from there is like $17.00 it is RIDICOULOUS & OVER PRICED!!!! The waitress was unattentive and our food came out like an hour later, not to mention our appitizer came out with our food!! My opinion is that the hangout may be a fun atmosphere but the food is way too expensive, and on a scale of 1-10 I would give the food a 5!! Not sure if I will be going back this year!!!!!!!!!!! :(

1  Thank Thatlulu
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I took a group of 5 teenage girls on Srring break. They loved this place. Lots to do. Live music. Line dancing. Games. Sand. Bubbles. Dancing on the tables. Wow. Food was just average and a bit over priced but the atmosphere was amazing. It is truly a great hangout for all ages.

3  Thank Bernadine B