“Very good economy condos”

Gulf Shores Plantation
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Jonesboro, Georgia
“Very good economy condos”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at Gulf Shore Plantation through from April 26th - May 1st. We had no issues with staff while we were checking in and they were very pleasant and got us in and out very quickly. They offer free dvd rentals like a redbox type machine but we never used it.

The condo itself is getting pretty dated and old but for the price we payed it was well worth it. The only problem we had was the windows didn't seal to well and you got that horrible whistling noise, but we cracked the windows and all was fine. Who doesn't have the windows open at the beach anyways. We stayed in room 1333 which had the best view of the ocean by far of any room that was not directly facing the water. The bathrooms were fine and hot water lasted long enough for our entire group to shower. Going in April was great as to there were hardly any people here, it seemed like everyone could have a pool to themselves. The condo was clean when we arrived and had no issues with any of the appliances, or electronics. I would definatly recommend this place to anyone on a budget.

This complex is on the outskirts of Gulf Shores closer to the Fort Morgan area, and it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get back into town. No this before you decide on staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cbell21219

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My girlfriends and I stayed in unit 2111 this past weekend. There were some good things--modern kitchen, pretty well stocked; not too noisy; within walking distance of the beach; plenty of parking. However, for the price we payed, there were enough negatives that I don't think it was really worth the price.
The main complaint is the deception over the the "gulf view." We specifically asked what that meant/how good the view really was, and we were told that the following was the balcony view: http://www.gulf-sands.com/properties/NetGSPbeach.jpg. However, when we actually got there, the following was the real "view": https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/149084_10101300393782301_758254957_n.jpg. I realize that "gulf view" does not equal beach front view, but since we specifically asked and were shown a picture that implied a beach front view, I felt like we were cheated.
Also, the screen door to the balcony was broken, and we found a HUGE cock roach inside the unit. Finally, the internet quality was very slow/poor, and when we called to ask about it, the girl we talked to said to call the main office in the morning (was no help at all) and then hung up on us.

So, all in all, I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AuTiger609
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The resort is very clean. There is a great golf course onsite and even better one just a few miles away ("Peninsula"). We have 3 children (8,6,3) and they loved all the activities they could do (tennis, basketball, shuffle board). The only disappointment was that the 6 outdoor pools are NOT heated. You would think for spring break they could heat at least one... So, everyone was cramped in one small indoor pool, which was like a zoo! But eventually it was warm enough to swim in Gulf of Mexico.
The location is great!!! You are far away from all the noise and traffic, etc. The beach is absolutely clean private and safe. Just few miles away you can visit Fort Morgan. Or you can take a ferry to Foley Island and then drive to Mobile to see USS Alabama Battleship.
There is a great restaurant on golf course and few others nearby , and the onsite cafe brews Starbucks. We live in Chicagoland and the privacy and relaxing atmosphere of this resort was exactly what we wanted.

Room Tip: All the units have different furnishings, and updates. Make sure you see the pictures before you boo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank greenandblacktea
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a great property for families. It is a long drive from Gulf shores but worth it once you arrive. The condos are a little dated. We booked a 2 bedroom for myself and 4 children we ran out of hot water after 2 showers and one of sinks started leaking during our stay. The grounds are well maintained and beautiful. They do need to work on the boardwalk to the beach because the planks are uneven and rusty nails are sticking up everywhere. I ended up with a cut foot and a tetanus shot and my 3 year old got 6 splinters. The coffee shop was great for coffee and drinks I would not recommend eating there. The food was over priced and terrible!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DEBSU
nebraska
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I loved the beach front , sandy beaches and coffee shop. The resort is 10miles from shopping,dining and bars. Felt like we had to do a lot of driving . The resort is dated but clean . We rented from a private party and the condo is in need of new furnishing

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank husker4ever
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I am writing this review from Plantation Dunes Unit 5603. It was advertised on another vacation rental site as a 1 bedroom luxury condo. I am very puzzled by the reviews on that site which say this place is clean and comfortable. First of all, the ad is deceptive. This is definitely not a 1 bedroom. It's one small room. Period. It's smaller than many motel rooms I've booked, so it should be listed as an efficiency at best. It's also in poor condition, from the greasy stove and oven to the stained towels and torn/stained blankets. I slept on top of the bed the first night and went to Walmart the next day to shop, even though I'm on a tight budget. I bought a blanket and a few dish towels that I will take with me. I called the owner, but she wasn't responsive to my complaints. I rented this dumpy room for an entire month so I'm trying to make the best of it. At least I haven't seen any more cockroaches since I sprayed the baseboard, although it took a few days to get rid of them. There's also a bad stain (rust? mold?) on the bathroom floor. The sliding glass door was difficult to move and it squeaked loudly. After getting some hints online, I used baby oil to clean the track (yuck!) which seemed to do the trick. February is off-season and I guess some owners choose this time to do renovations so I've been listening to a lot of hammering and drilling which often begins early in the morning. However, some nights I've heard people talking, even snoring (yes, I am not joking) so the walls must be paper thin. The a/c vent in the louvre closet runs through the building, so you can sometimes smell what your neighbor is cooking or smoking. One night my entire room smelled like very strong chili. Another night there was such a stench in my room that I left the building. Someone told me one of the snowbirds likes to cook chitlins. I don't even want to know what they are. I only know I had to shampoo twice! So, why did I give this 2 stars? First of all, the beach is gorgeous and clean. Second, the people are very kind and friendly here. I also feel safe because the security guards check the building and parking lot regularly. Speaking of safety, since I arrived, there have been 2 fire emergencies in the building. When an alarm goes off, there's a very loud announcement from the speaker in the ceiling to evacuate the building. One was at 9AM on a Sunday and the other was at 6:30AM on Thurs. Elevators are disabled during an alarm so you need to walk down 6 flights of steps. I can't confirm this, but I was told the first was a faulty microwave that burned someone's breakfast (probably as rusted inside as mine) and the second was a fire in the a/c wiring. Some people I meet have been coming here for 20 years, so I guess we all have different experiences or expectations. I'm really not that fussy, but this would be one of the worst places I've rented in a long time if it were not for the nice people I've met and the white sandy beach. When the room is quiet very late at night (if nobody is snoring loudly or moving furniture) the pounding of the surf on the shore is a soothing sound and very spiritual.

Room Tip: Since I rented from a private owner, it would be unfair to rate all the rooms or the service. I'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank painting_rainbows
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This a a well kept Resort operated by Mandoki Hospitality. It is family oriented and most units overlook the Gulf of Mexico. I would recommend staying here for a very relaxing vacation. Shopping and recreation is only 13 miles east and the Mobile Ferry that goes to Dauphin Island is 8 miles west.

• Stayed January 2013