“Just okay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gulf Shores
Gulf Shores Plantation
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
nebraska
“Just okay”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I loved the beach front , sandy beaches and coffee shop. The resort is 10miles from shopping,dining and bars. Felt like we had to do a lot of driving . The resort is dated but clean . We rented from a private party and the condo is in need of new furnishing

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank husker4ever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I am writing this review from Plantation Dunes Unit 5603. It was advertised on another vacation rental site as a 1 bedroom luxury condo. I am very puzzled by the reviews on that site which say this place is clean and comfortable. First of all, the ad is deceptive. This is definitely not a 1 bedroom. It's one small room. Period. It's smaller than many motel rooms I've booked, so it should be listed as an efficiency at best. It's also in poor condition, from the greasy stove and oven to the stained towels and torn/stained blankets. I slept on top of the bed the first night and went to Walmart the next day to shop, even though I'm on a tight budget. I bought a blanket and a few dish towels that I will take with me. I called the owner, but she wasn't responsive to my complaints. I rented this dumpy room for an entire month so I'm trying to make the best of it. At least I haven't seen any more cockroaches since I sprayed the baseboard, although it took a few days to get rid of them. There's also a bad stain (rust? mold?) on the bathroom floor. The sliding glass door was difficult to move and it squeaked loudly. After getting some hints online, I used baby oil to clean the track (yuck!) which seemed to do the trick. February is off-season and I guess some owners choose this time to do renovations so I've been listening to a lot of hammering and drilling which often begins early in the morning. However, some nights I've heard people talking, even snoring (yes, I am not joking) so the walls must be paper thin. The a/c vent in the louvre closet runs through the building, so you can sometimes smell what your neighbor is cooking or smoking. One night my entire room smelled like very strong chili. Another night there was such a stench in my room that I left the building. Someone told me one of the snowbirds likes to cook chitlins. I don't even want to know what they are. I only know I had to shampoo twice! So, why did I give this 2 stars? First of all, the beach is gorgeous and clean. Second, the people are very kind and friendly here. I also feel safe because the security guards check the building and parking lot regularly. Speaking of safety, since I arrived, there have been 2 fire emergencies in the building. When an alarm goes off, there's a very loud announcement from the speaker in the ceiling to evacuate the building. One was at 9AM on a Sunday and the other was at 6:30AM on Thurs. Elevators are disabled during an alarm so you need to walk down 6 flights of steps. I can't confirm this, but I was told the first was a faulty microwave that burned someone's breakfast (probably as rusted inside as mine) and the second was a fire in the a/c wiring. Some people I meet have been coming here for 20 years, so I guess we all have different experiences or expectations. I'm really not that fussy, but this would be one of the worst places I've rented in a long time if it were not for the nice people I've met and the white sandy beach. When the room is quiet very late at night (if nobody is snoring loudly or moving furniture) the pounding of the surf on the shore is a soothing sound and very spiritual.

Room Tip: Since I rented from a private owner, it would be unfair to rate all the rooms or the service. I'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank painting_rainbows
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This a a well kept Resort operated by Mandoki Hospitality. It is family oriented and most units overlook the Gulf of Mexico. I would recommend staying here for a very relaxing vacation. Shopping and recreation is only 13 miles east and the Mobile Ferry that goes to Dauphin Island is 8 miles west.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Jutles
Marysville, Ohio
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This review is not a review of the whole Plantation resort, but just unit 1153. The first thing that hit us in entering the unit was the smell. The odor seemed to be coming from the nonfunctional garbage disposal. On Monday, we called GDV and it was fixed but the smell still persisted. After turning off the HVAC system, the smell disappeared.
The unit is dated and needs a facelift. The drapes in the living room, need to be drapes not a group of towel like fabric strung over a curtain rod. The maintenance man fixed the dripping sink but it still dripped.

This was the worst unit GDV has ever delivered. I cannot state that our was ruined because the weather was nice. GDV should be ashamed to offer this place as a vacation resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bill K
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Good for families. I went for my birthday. It is a very serene, quiet, and family-surrounded place to stay. They have elevators and an indoor and an outdoor pool(s). The rooms are large and verrrrrry clean. the one thing our room did not have were plates and utensils.Bummer.

Room Tip: If you take a room on the upper floor, You will have a better view. I have stayed in both buildings...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Annalyssa H
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a very comfortable place to stay. I was in unit 4305 west. Bed was comfortable. Appliances good. Untensils stocked. Good view from master bedroom. 2nd bedroom view is of parking lot and tennis courts. Mobile bay is across the street, literally, and then gulf of mexico in front of you. Awesome view. Easy beach access, lots of pools. I did not use most ammenities except indoor heated pool and dry sauna, which were fine. I would come here again. I would not fly into Pensacola though, no freeway route to resort, all state routes, which makes it 60 to 90 minutes to drive to property. I may try to fly into Mobile next time. I rated room service low because there isn't room service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank KDL1969
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Reviewed November 17, 2012

That says it all, as they have plenty of both!!

They have very good maintained grounds, and a variety of pools, hot tubs and a great beach.

We saw rats by the pink building, and a lot of feral cats roaming around near the other buildings. (They leave the doors to the dumpster room open)

The shower near the sauna did not have hot water, and the treadmill was out of order (Had been reported) the entire 3 weeks we stayed!

I think the manager was on vacation, so we may give them another try, to see if they have improved.

Room Tip: The 1 bedroom units are all on the gulf!! Great views!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo