“Been coming here for 20 Years and Plenty more to come!”

Gulf Shores Plantation
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My family and I have been coming here since I was in grade school. Now, over 20 years later, my wife and I celebrate our wedding anniversary here every year. The staff is always so nice and the unit that we stay in is very clean. One year when we checked in we had a problem with the thermostat and within a matter of minutes, maintanance was there to fix the problem. The dome pool is the best during winter as it is in doors and a short walk from most buildings. We highly recommend going during winter as there aren't to many people and it's nice and quiet to getaway and relax. Also, the price is about the same as a hotel room, except you get more for your money when you rent here. How many hotels have a 24 hour guard service? None.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Located about a 15 min drive from the "busy" Gulf Shores area. Beautiful beaches, nice pools and many rental options. I found the buildings, grounds and pools to be very clean and well maintained. Stayed with large group--lots of options within the resort for different sized families. Teens were happy to remain on site-which made this a very relaxing trip for the adults.

Made a couple of trips to town for groceries, restuarants. Remainder of time was glad to be relatively "crowd free".

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We've stayed several times in Gulf Shores Plantation as part of quite a few annual visits. Since most of the units are owned by individuals, the rating really depends upon the unit to which you are assigned.

Frankly, some units are in need of an update (decor, electronics, furniture, etc.) although the units are clean (at least that was our experience). If you happen to receive a unit where the owner is focused upon renting a unit with minimal investment back into the property, you can expect out dated decor, electronics and furniture. Since there have been an equal amount of "hits" and "misses" at this facility, my rating reflects an "average" ranking. Unfortunately, our experience has been that Mandoki (the primary leasing agent) doesn't require uniform standards from their owners thus the "hits" and "misses." Similar to some other reviews, I would agree that Gulf Shores Plantation does appear to be "dated" (certainly in comparison to other options in the area) and there are some cosmetic issues around the grounds which likely need to be addressed.

On a positive note, the facility has quick access to the beach and has plenty of pools (including a very kid friendly pool in the center of the complex). The staff has always been accommodating as well regarding any issue or concern brought to their attention.

Be aware that it's also at least a 12 mile journey back into town to major retailers (e.g. Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc.) and restaurants so it's best to "stock up" just prior to your arrival with groceries or be prepared to make the 12 mile trek.

Lodging options in the area can be pricey (including this facility) so be prepared for some sticker shock if you're not accustomed to pricing in these types of meccas.

Uniformity and consistency within the units could likely be better enforced by Mandoki, but this property is a quality choice for a potential stay.

Room Tip: Rather than pay for umbrella service ($25 per day on the beach), consider purchasing a umbrella from...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank WJC31589
Reviewed August 11, 2012

To me, everything on the oceanfront that over 5-10 years old looked weathered. I think these buildings are maybe even 20 years old, but they've been maintained really well. We had a SUPER time at our condo which we rented via VRBO.com. Our boys loved the pools, and we just spent our time between ocean, sand, and pools, and back and forth. We came with groceries already bought, so we didn't leave the condo during our entire trip except twice - once only for an ice cream run and once to eat at Bahama Bobs Beach Clug.

I've already started looking at dates for us to return. LOVED the private beach, and everyone was so nice. Our only concern was the wireless internet didn't work all the time, but that may have been "user error". We just didn't pursue trying to get it worked out because we were too busy relaxing. Excellent view from our balcony directly to the ocean. Will DEFINITELY stay in this same unit again.

Room Tip: Make sure you clarify if it's got an oceanfront view or not.
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Just got home from our first stay at Gulf Shores Plantation, and we had a wonderful time! Yes, the decor is a little dated and it's a 20 minute drive into town, but our condo was spotless and the view was breathtaking! The beach was beautiful and the grounds looked like they had been very well kept. I read some reviews of trash being strewn along the walk to the beach. I'm happy to report that we saw absolutely none of that. Perfect spot for an affordable family vacation! We're already making plans to return next summer!

1  Thank Luanna C
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Gulf Shores Plantation unit #2118. It was a 2 bed 2 bath. It was very clean with granite countertops throughout, stainless appliances, tile and new faux wood floors.

We were somewhat surprised by the 20 min drive from the main strip but it was fine. Just make sure you have all you need. There is a little store about half a mile from the condo with as many small necessities as could be packed in there. It was quiet and peaceful. We went to the main beach one day beside Sea and Suds and were mortified at the smell of dead fish, the dirty water and the overcrowding. So we were so happy to go back to our quiet beach with crystal clear water and clean white sand with families not on top of each other.

This place was well secured and you must speak with a guard and show proof of condo room before you enter every single time. We liked that.

We also had washer and dryer in our condo and that was very convenient. I feel like most people who rent from these private owners choose to clean the condo themselves and save a fee. Honestly, it seems to be cleaner that way. I was happy to do it and make it nice for the next family coming in.

I saw another poster complain about how gross it was to leave food in the fridge. And in some cases I guess it would be. However, we had condiments and some unopened things we could not take with us and it seemed a shame to throw it out. I wrote the next guests a note with the date we left and encouraged them to use t if they choose. I did know that someone was coming in that day so that makes a difference. If they choose they can throw it away.

We would definitely stay here again. My only small complaint is that the rooms and living area were a bit small. By day five, my family of five were stepping all over each other. More reason to stay on the water right?

2  Thank pcdavis526
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This place gets better and better each year. It's a perfect place for the family! Beautiful beach, awesome pools, great condos! I really would reccomend this place to any and everyone. This is my 5th year staying here and I'll definitely be back for a 6th next summer.

• Stayed: August 2012