“Old and needs TLC”

Gulf Shores Plantation
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Plantation is good for a low-priced stay, but unfortunately you get what you pay for and you don’t get what you don’t pay for. It is showing its age and is in constant need of maintenance, which is not always done correctly. It’s like bailing out a sinking ship with a spoon.
The steam room, sauna, and hot tubs may or may not be working properly during your stay. The pool may be closed due to an “accident”. The wireless internet is supposed to be functional throughout the property but they don’t seem to have enough routers or not enough capacity because it is very slow at times, plus I see people coming into the lobby with their laptops because they can not pick it up in their room.

There is a good amount of mold and mildew (as might be expected in a damp climate,) that is not addressed with regular cleaning and maintenance.

There was a crew working on an elevator in one building. They dismantled a perfectly good running elevator, then left the site for over two weeks while they were “waiting for parts”. They finally replaced it but to my way of thinking you should have the parts on site before you start the job.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank joefish

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in Unit 1302 of the Plantation and found it very poorly equipped. I had rented from the owner on VRBO and went by the photos on that website. A couple of pieces of furniture shown in the photos were not present when I checked in. Also, the kitchen was poorly equipped for anything more than a weekend stay and the oven badly needed cleaning. I had to move a shelf unit in order to operate the thermostat. The screen door to the porch was constantly coming off the track. The bedroom, which is small to begin with, was too crowded with a large wooden bed that had a footboard I kept bumping into. The TV was old with poor sound quality.
Also, the elevator to this 3rd floor unit was scheduled to be replaced during my stay, which the owners knew of in advance, yet that was not communicated to me before I arrived. I would have liked to know about the elevator as I have health problems that make it hard for me to climb stairs. The phone was totally non-operational for more than 2 weeks and the wi-fi internet is spotty.

Because of the above-mentioned problems, I don’t feel I got what I paid for . On the plus side, it does have a wonderful view of the Gulf.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annajonson
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great location off the main highway. Close enough to get to great restaurants. Great beach area. We stayed in cottage 13B which is a Gulf front house with balconies in all of the bedrooms and one off the den. Our whole extended family of 12 stayed together. Mattresses do need updating.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MobileALFamily
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Rented a room for 4 nights at the dunes at gulf shores plantation. Room was poorly furnished and outdated. The jacuzzis on the ground floor were the nastiest things I have ever seen. I could understand one day being bad but every day of our families stay they were in horrible shape. The only thing positive to say is the nice beach other than that the grounds were filthy trash overflowing in containers outside just. A filthy establishment that has a lot of potential. I sincerly do not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012
8  Thank skeeter21
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I should have written this review sooner, we stayed here in September 2011 and I forgot all about reviewing until today! Well, there is good and bad when you stay at the Plantation. I think a LOT depends on what unit you get. We used a rental website where owners list their condos for rent (don't know if I am allowed to say the website in a review?) and were very careful to choose a rental that had lots of good reviews. Our unit was clean, updated and reasonable. The owner was very easy to work with. We were in the first Plantation East building. There are pretty good kind of side views of the gulf from balconies in this building. There is also a pretty good walk down to the beach. Not really very far, just a few minutes, but we were midway in the building and had to cross part of parking lot, then pass by outdoor pool, get onto the boardwalk and trek on down. This felt like forever when we were toting beach chairs and such. The beach was very uncrowded and we enjoyed that. We did not use the outdoor pools of this resort. The indoor pool complex could use some cleaning and updating. A small arcade within the indoor pool unit sucked down my son's money without letting him play games. Nobody around to complain to or get a refund. The hot tub was good sized, but had some big nasty dirty spots hovering in the water for several days until we scooped them out. We used the indoor pool four nights and the whole time we were there, there was a dirty red solo cup sitting near the hot tub. This was never moved. We stayed six nights and for the first three, the washer and dryer on our floor were out of order. This was fixed before we left. The elevator seemed really kind of old, groaning and scary, but it got us to the third floor every time! LOL. You have to pass thru a small security gate to get onto the Plantation and the security guys were always friendly and helpful. There is supposedly a small coffee shop on site, but this was closed for the winter, I guess, and we did not have that info until we walked over only to find a sign on the door. We did enjoy the solitude of staying out on Fort Morgan, but it is quite a ways out from Gulf Shores. I would recommend going to WalMart in Gulf Shores for groceries and stocking up. There is a newer looking Dollar General about half way down Fort Morgan Road toward the Plantation that is very well stocked as well. If you have people in your group who want to be close to all the action, this resort may not be for you because the drive into town and back can be very time consuming. The part we stayed in, Plantation East, is definitely not a high falutin' place, so if you are looking for luxury, this end of the Plantation might not be for you, and as I said, so much depends on the unit you rent, I think, which can make the difference between a good and a not so good stay. We did enjoy our stay here, overall -- we were on the beach! :)

Room Tip: If you use a website with owner listing their units, look around carefully and choose rental that ha...
Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank pixiekansas
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had a nice stay in unit 5004 in Sept. 5 adults 2 small kids and had plenty of room for about 5 days. Not a brand new unit but nice. Close to the terrific pools and on the ground floor. Nice kitchen with newer appliances made dinner easy. Short walk to a really nice beach. Price made me feel like I got a lot for the money. Tvs in every room. The weather was perfect.

Room Tip: Cafe located at the end of the building you may not want a room right next to it. I used Island Drea...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank normalfolks
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were told we had a washer/dryer in our condo which we found out this was not true. There are several coin operated spread throughout the resort. Our condo (#3103) was musty and mildew was on the vents and widow blinds. The ones that were not broken. The back sliding door lock was broken but was "jerry rigged" to work. The furniture was very out dated along with the kitchen. But the frig was new. The bed was hard as a rock the floor was not clean. The bathroom was okay but small. We had to buy candles to make the room standable. We had pieces of trim laying in corners not sure where they went. We did see other condo's and they seemed much nicer than ours. The resort was quiet and family friendly. There were some boys smoking in the pool , which is no smoking, and security resolved that problem quickly. It is a very safe and quiet area. They have nice pools and beachfront. The beaches were not over crowded especially if you walked away from the boardwalk 75 yards. Most people walk straight out and stop. It is short drive to town but fuel cost adds up if you go to town every night like we did.

Overall they condo was standable but nicers ones are there. And they have some kind of rodent problem as we could hear them doing laundry one night (in the drop ceiling) in the interior access condos.

Room Tip: You can find better elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach

Been to Gulf Shores Plantation? Share your experiences!