“Love that Riverboat Special”
Review of Top O The River

Top O The River
Ranked #2 of 116 Restaurants in Gadsden
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

After spending ALL day in Birmingham on doctor appointments, it was great to make a quick stop in Gadsden on the way home to Mentone. We were tired & hungry and were pleased to get a good filling meal without spending a long time here. We love the food at TOR and it was delicious that night. We normally get grilled fish, but we threw caution to the wind and got fried catfish, baked potatoes, slaw, cornbread & were served hush puppies, but we just ate the delicious cornbread. We had excellent service. Going here is always a treat for us!

1  Thank carollyn50

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We came with a large group. We were easily accommodated by the staff. The server did an excellent job. You should expect mostly fried food in an establishment like this one. Their fried catfish was excellently prepared. It was not greasy, had the right amount of seasonings and crunch. I would go back again.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were glad we came early on a Saturday night as we got a booth looking over the water without a wait. We each ordered the catfish and were surprised to each get 3 fish. They were served with potato, pickled onions, cole slaw, and cornbread. The catfish were excellent and all sides good. The cornbread was a bit dry, but still tasty. Our waitress was very nice and the service was good.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Loved the complimentary cornbread. I had grilled shrimp and the chicken kabob. They were excellent. The chicken was even better than the shrimp and was recommended by our adorable non shellfish eating server. She was so attentive and friendly, did not get the turnip greens which everyone said I should have.Huge restaurant, I head the recently moved river side.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Had dinner at the Top o the River last night. The parking lot was packed but we got a table as soon as we walked in. We were in town for a short period of town and I found this restaurant on TripAdvisor. I always go there to find some place for us to eat. We travel a lot for our business and we can count on TA to lead us to a good restaurant. It was so busy (Saturday night) that our little server seemed overwhelmed and in a hurry, but he was efficient and we got our food and drinks in a flash. When our food came out so fast I was sure it would probably be cold from sitting under a light, but no, our catfish was steaming hot and it was super delicious!!! Fried in cornmeal (which to me is the only way to eat catfish) and was crunchy and mild. I got the baked potato and it was hot and fresh, and my husband got the onion rings which consisted of two HUGE onion rings that were delicious!!! The complimentary cornbread that came in a little iron skillet was tasty but was very crumbly and came with no butter. Also complimentary was the pickled onions that were very vinegary (sp?). They needed a little sugar and water. But they came in handy for pouring the juice on the cole slaw to make it a little less sweet. All-in-all our dinner was very good and we will probably go back simply because the catfish was addictive!!!