“Huge Disappointment, March 2012”

Hampton Inn Birmingham / Fultondale I-65
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Fultondale
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I've always been a fan of Hampton Inn, but this experience has forever changed me from being a regular customer. NEVER AGAIN!

Checked in during a long ride home in March 2012.
Starting out, although they quoted the room rate of $99, by the time we paid fees and taxes and more, our bill was over $130. At Hotels.com, they tell you ALL the fees up front and that is all you pay. HUGE RIPOFF!

As to the hotel, the hotel and room were tidy, but badly in need of updates. Wall paper was outdated and bath tile was discolored and out of date as well. On the plus side, we were at the end of the hall on the second floor and all was relatively quiet.

As we were making a quick overnight stop, I needed to work and answer emails, etc. from my laptop. After trying for over 30 minutes to get online, I finally called the desk and was told that 'OUR INTERNET ONLY SERVICES 50 DEVICES AT ONE TIME', including iphones, etc. and told to try again later. LATER NEVER HAPPENED. I NEVER WAS ABLE TO GET ONLINE. I WAS NEVER ABLE TO WORK! I TRIED ALL NIGHT!

The next morning was no better. No internet service.

Deciding we needed to go so I could find a 'hot spot' to work, we stopped on our way out to have their free breakfast.

I was sorely disappointed to see NO COFFEE! NO HOT ITEMS! and no one else even in the breakfast area at 9am. They were supposed to serve for another hour but we were told they were all out of everything! They stated they were severely understaffed and just weren't able to do what was needed. INCREDIBLE!

NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cyndy8675309

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Although fairly new or recently redecorated, you'll find your basic Hampton Inn here, in a northern suburb of Birmingham. That means it'll be run by pleasant, friendly people; it'll be clean, quiet, safe and up to the Hilton property Hampton Inn standard with the usual "hot breakfast" that is a variation each day of an egg dish and waffles you make on a griddle (fun for kids to do). Crispy, greasy bacon some days, greasy mystery-sausage patty others; that Hampton Inn fruit salad, oatmeal (overcooked...more like a runny porridge) and "Ok" coffee every day.

There are no microwaves or fridges in the room unless you're lucky enough to get a "king suite". Their pillows are great but I've never been a fan of the hard Hampton Inn mattress - my husband loves them though.

They do not have snack shop items for sale at the front desk. But the property is alongside the highway and surrounded by restaurants.

Not special but delivers the expected business or family traveler expected standard.

Room Tip: Book a king suite if in your budget and they're available. We're Hilton Honors patrons but...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Highpocketsagain
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We came across this Fairfield Inn after a HORRENDOUS day of flying issues. We were trying to find some place that would take our United accomodation voucher, and the front desk worker, at 11pm this night in August, 2011, spent 45 minutes for us trying to figure out if they could take it. He called all his supervisors, called the number on the United voucher for us, and called United itself, twice. He was totally awesome and so friendly! When we came to the conclusion no one would take our voucher, it was almost midnight. He gave us a great price on the room, and we were very happy. The room was clean, the bed and hide-a-bed were fine, and the breakfast was more deluxe than any other continental breakfast we have ever had. It literally filled us up so well we forgot to eat lunch that day! The front desk attendant (Zach) went above and beyond his job description, and we are 100% pleased with how the visit turned out!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WingnutTheCat
Reviewed May 29, 2010

We were traveling from Florida to Kentucky for the Memorial week-end, fully expecting the travel crowd. We always stay at Hiltons, but this time we thought we would stay outside of Birmingham to avoid the rush. The minute we walked in the Hampton we were greeted with friendly service and 5 star cleanliness. The place is located in walking distance to the Outback or O'Charlies and the bed was top quality. But, I must say the main reason I took the time to write this review(my 1st) was the wonderful breakfast, not the food, though it was great, but Ms. Tasha, the young lady monitoring the breakfast. She greeted every last person that came into the breakfast area and made sure they were taken care of as if it was her own home. She kept the area spotless and brought a smile to everyones face. Today, I'm in another Hampton Inn, in Kentucky and wow, I sure miss Fultondale. Thank you, Tasha for making my day so bright.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2010

we checked in quickly and easily. Great hotel and excellent staff ..they were super friendly and accomodating. They allowed us to stay 2 extra hours so the kids could swim. The breakfast was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank lemingreeley
HamptonInnManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham / Fultondale I-65, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let the world know how much you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to providing you with excellent service again!!

Reviewed March 13, 2010

Unlike others, I didn't experience the personal service that seems to define this hotel.
A young guy with little personality checked me in; there was no mention of my HHonors status.

Rooms at this property have received what can best be called a half-renovation. Carpets are new and look good, and beds are comfortable and well-made. But other furniture is nicked, worn, and evocative of the 80s. The quaint tube TV completes the dated picture.

Breakfast is okay, but only if you get there before 9 AM. Despite posted hours to 9:30, if you're anywhere near the "cutoff"time, you'll get dregs in the pans - in my case, a couple of teaspoons of a ham/egg combo and no sausages; one remaining cup of yogurt; and few muffins. For some reason, Hampton has never received the memo about being green - you can still find a plethora of Styrofoam bowls and plates here. Adding to the landfills are individually-wrapped plastic utensils - there's something darkly humorous about a plastic spoon wrapped in plastic.

The hotel doesn't have much to redeem it, but it's clean and quiet, so could be an option depending on price.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank DenverBrian
HamptonInnManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn Birmingham / Fultondale I-65, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay. Although it isn't exactly what we hope to hear from our guest it is good to know how we can be better. We are active members of the Green Hotel Association, our mission statement is posted proudly in our lobby. As our brand makes it available, we will be switching out the types of plates, etc. we are using. Again, I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed December 1, 2009

my wife and i had the pleasure of staying at the hampton in fultondale al. for a jeep ride at grayrock. what a pleasant and friendly staff & miss deanne the manager. It would be wonderful if all hotels were this nice. thank you and your staff. glenn wendy

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fultondale
Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Fultondale/I-65
Days Inn Fultondale
#1 of 8 in Fultondale
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Birmingham North - Fultondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler

Been to Hampton Inn Birmingham / Fultondale I-65? Share your experiences!