All reviewsgulf shoresplace to staygreat priceclean roomsplugsbleachmuffinsshoppinghwy
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Here's a few quick hits of my stay: When first getting into the room, the walkway outside my room door had some sort of sticky mess that came off on our shoes. Dare not walk back out to the car without shoes to prevent this mess from getting on our feet. Room only had 3 towels when booked for 4 adults (myself, spouse, 2 adult children). Had a tough time getting another towel from the night clerk that was very rude and ugly when first approached by my wife (didn't give her a towel) and when i went back after settling in, stating that we had to bring back a dirty towel to get another fresh clean one. I told her to call the manager and she only made excuses, but finally providing me with a 4th towel. When looking for electrical outlets to plug in phones, by the beds, the plates were missing and wires exposed (shock hazard) and found bug traps behind bed and under sink. Also, most of the other electrical outlets were loose and one sparked when my daughter tried to plug in her charger. Finally at check-out, had the same night clerk still on. After turning in the room key, she walked away without even a thank you for the stay. I had to call out and ask her for my receipt (to ensure i had no additional charges) only to have it tossed across the counter to me. Friendly service, NOT! You can bet that I will never stay here ever again!

2  Thank Calvin C
Conrad R, General Manager at Riviera Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Mr. Calvin, my name is Conrad, I am the GM here at the Best Western Riviera Inn and would like to thank you for not only staying with us but taking the time to leave a response. First I will start by saying my apologies to your family from my staff and I for not exceeding your expectations. I was out of state at the time of your visit and I apologize I wasn't able to further assist you and your family during the duration of your stay here at Best Western Riviera Inn. Our property does have a policy on a return of towels for exchange of fresh towels and I know it is frustrating. But do to the high volume of towels that are used for the beach, I had put that policy in. My staff should how ever handled the situation differently for all you were wanting was one extra towel and that to is part of our policy to give up to two extra towels for double queen rooms and 1 extra towel for King bedrooms. Second, Thank you for the notice on the electrical outlets in your room, I will address those immediately. Last I want to apologize again for my front desk not giving you that Southern Hospitality that we are known for. As are property is under Renovations for the next three years I will be addressing this issues you had and expanding on them to further help our future guest. I sure hope you will give us another try to exceed your expectations here at the Best Western Riviera Inn, Foley AL.

GM
Best Western Riviera Inn
Foley, AL
251-943-8600

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here with a few friends after seeing a concert at The Wharf in Orange Beach. Price was much cheaper than anywhere in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area. If you are looking for a place to sleep and store your stuff for a few hours then this place will do the trick

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gerald R
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Front desk staff was friendly at check-in and check-out. Because the rooms open to the outside, we had no other contact with the staff.

The bottom line: it is a motel - not a hotel; not an inn. All rooms open to the outside, which means lots of bugs inside the rooms during the Alabama summer. We did not have an issue with roaches mentioned by other reviewers, but had a significant influx of a variety of flying insects.

The first floor room was relatively small compared to other rooms in the area. As mentioned, the room opens onto the parking lot - a wee bit disconcerting for a mom and daughter traveling alone. The king size bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The room included a small table with two straight chairs, a small refrigerator (no freezer) and a microwave. The carpet should have been removed years ago - it was very stained and no amount of steam cleaning would improve its appearance. It was, however, clean - white socks stayed white after walking on it.

The bathroom was very small and my pet peeve, skimping on towels, was an issue -- 3 bath towels, 2 wash cloths, and 2 hand towels. Corners of the bathroom floor had not seen cleaning solution in quite a while. Large vanity area but no place to store toiletries for a longer stay. No closet - just a rod in the vanity area.

The room was quite chilly when we arrived and when my 12 year old daughter attempted to adjust the temperature the heat came on - spewing enough smoke/fumes that the smoke detector was activated.

Breakfast did not even qualify as a continental breakfast. The only "hot" food is a do-it-yourself waffle maker. Other than that there was a choice of bread, bagel or blueberry muffin. For the child with a wheat allergy there was nothing but a few tiny containers of yogurt. Not even a piece of fruit. We had to stop at the Krystal down the street to grab a bite before heading to the beach.

The pool area is tiny, though the children we saw seemed to enjoy it. Because of the security issue of leaving a 12 year old girl in a room that opens to the parking lot, I did not risk a trip to the small exercise room and cannot evaluate what it had to offer.

In summary, if you are looking for a bare bones spot that is near the beach and relatively cheap, this motel fits the bill.

1  Thank Kelly W
Conrad R, General Manager at Riviera Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You left a great review that my staff and I can use to improve on our overall experience for our guest. The breakfast area is our number one area that I am trying to improve upon and adding more food choices to our breakfast. Once again thank you for choosing Best Western Riviera Inn, In Foley AL and hopefully you will give us another chance as over the next two years we our renovating Best Western Riviera Inn with new furniture in all rooms and expanding on our breakfast and many more great renovations to give everyone a great experience with us.

GM
Best Western Riviera Inn
251-943-8600

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Rooms were really nice & clean but we did not get the downstairs rooms that we reserved a week ahead of our stay there and we ended up with upstairs room. We are in the 70s age and have trouble climbing the stairs & hauling up our suitcases.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We enjoyed everything about our stay, except the fact that not once, but three times we had to kill roaches right next to the bed. I really did not like that. The roaches really upset me. I am scared of them ,and next to the bed. This has me really thinking about if we should find another favorite spot or not. Everything but that was great.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawn D
Conrad R, General Manager at Riviera Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I will assure you that we implement a biweekly treatment for our property and apologize for any bug found in your room. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 251-9438600.

VM/GM