“Called liars by management and overcharged.”
Review of Riviera Inn

Riviera Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Foley
Denham Springs, LA
“Called liars by management and overcharged.”
Reviewed December 1, 2007

While on a charity motorcycle ride for children's illnesses in Fairhope, I booked this room for my husband and myself. The young man who checked us in was very nice, so we thought all was well. Although we are both trying to quit, I did book a non-smoking room because the smoking rooms always smell so bad. When we were there (only briefly for one night), and wanted to smoke, naturally we stepped OUTSIDE of the room. We even went out of our way to pick up the butts because they were unsightly and we are considerate of others. I am trying to break this habit spending over $100. monthly on RX Chantix.
Imagine our shock to receive a much higher bill than previously quoted-the reason being that they were convinced we had smoked in the room. "We could not possibly rent this room until we spent $50.00 cleaning out the smoke smell"...
Even though my husband went to corporate Best Western, we still were stuck with that cleaning charge.
We were given credit for our next Best Western stay; but, why in the world would we want to ever stay at another Best Western when in fact they had called us liars.
I know some of the housekeeping folks saw us outside-in bitter cold mind you-smoking.
A MOST unpleasant experience. We will never stay at Best Western anywhere again. Be careful with the management at this hotel.

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank caramba53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
mobile
Reviewed May 26, 2007

This hotel needs a better management. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They have poor service and an unprofessional staff. My friends and I reserved a non-smoking room. When we arrived at 3am the room reeked of smoke and there were cigarette burns on the covers. Sice we were so tired, we said "oh well" and let it go.

When we woke up, we called inquiring about the complimentary breakfast. They replied that they could only serve cereal and milk b/c there was no running water. I don't understand what running water has to do with a continental breakfast. We called the front desk about not being able to shower, they said it would turn back on at 10. We had to check out at 11. 10 o'clock rolls around and still no water. We call back and their response was the city turned it off so it wasn't their fault and we still had to be out by 11.

So then my friend and I walked up to the front desk and asked if we would get part of our money back or stay until the water came back on. They rudly replied no and weren't willing to compensate for our loss. After that response we got really frustrated and tried to explain that we were from out of town and had not showered since our departure from home. They still did not want to help us at all and looked at us as if we were over reacting about the situation.

When we asked to speak to with the manager they told us he had just left town and instructed them to not do anything about the problem b/c it was out of their control. We then called the Best Western headquarters hoping for help and were upset to find out they couldn't do anything either. The only thing they were going to do was put in a claim and wait for the management's response in 7days. They could've gotten their response right away if they had talked to them over the phone.

So after they failed to help us. We returned to our room and finished packing. When we finally checked out a little over 11 o'clock our bill was $133, they had charged us extra for not being out by 11.

The way they handled it was unacceptable. They obviously don't care about their customers. It was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. I didn't even think they could treat people like this. Even after emailing them I still haven't gotten a response. I suggested contacting the better business bureau. It seems they've mistreated many of their customers and should not get away with ripping them off.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank LuvinDaSouth

Travelers are raving about these Foley hotels

Auburn, AL
Reviewed October 16, 2006

Our family arrived on a weekend without a reservation for a one night stay. Everything else in town was booked. We checked in, went to our room and were greeted with a musty, wet stench. The room was old and outdated. They have no cribs, so if you stay here with small children bring your own pack-n-play or crib. Easily one of the top five worst hotels I have ever stayed. The only positive aspect was it's proximity to the outlets.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — outdated, dirty room
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here only as a last resort
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ryrox
Guntersville, Alabama
Reviewed March 21, 2005

I spent 3 nights at the Best Western Riviera in Foley. This hotel is nothing spectacular but not a bad deal for the money. The hotel is very hard to spot since it sits back off the road. I travel alone and I felt very safe at this hotel even though I was on a ground floor with doors opening to the outside. The only problem I had was that an element burned out in the hairdryer in my room the first day. The office didn't have a spare so I had to make a trip to the nearby Wal-Mart with wet hair to buy one. The high speed wireless internet was nice.

7 Thank BamaLover
Clinton Twp, MI
Reviewed February 26, 2005

I am a 49 year old woman, traveling with 4 other women who's ages range from 46 to 67. We made reservations for 2 non-smoking rooms at the Best Western Riveria hotel in Foley Alabama. Here is the reason for this review. I feel that there is a scam going on at this establishment. They obviously feel that they can take advantage of older women. I was charged an additional $25 because they said that I was smoking in this room, which is a non-smoking room. First of all, the reason we booked a non-smoking room was because my room mate is highly allergic to smoke. I felt that it would not be a problem for me to go outside to smoke, and that is exactly what I did.
When we were ready to check out, the cleaning staff, and the day manager continually walked back and forth in front of our room, hovering and watching, to the point that we had to walk around them to get our suitcases into our vehicle. I checked out first and went back to my vehicle, which was parked, backed in, in front of my room. While they were checking out of the other room, I watched thru my rearview mirror, while a member of their staff went into my room, with no cleaning supplies, and remained in the bathroom for quite sometime. When the day manager approached me saying that the room smelled like smoke and there would be an additional charge, I immediately protested, telling her that not only did I not smoke in that room, I don't even smoke in my own house. She offered me to follow her to the room and "smell" for myself. I agreed, and when we entered the room, it did in fact smell like an ashtray. I was absoutely astounded. I knew that I had not smoked in that room, and it most certainly did not smell like that 15 minutes ago. I don't know exactly what had happened, the only thing I do know, is that I did NOT smoke in that room, but it did smell like smoke. I don't know what exactly the man was doing in the bathroom. One possible explaination I can come up with for the smell, was that maybe he was smoking in the bathroom, but I did not see this.

My options were to pay the additional $25 or she would call the police. In retrospect, I wished that the police would've been called, but with never being in this kind of situation before, I felt it best to just sacrifice the money and leave. I think that this kind of fear is exactly what they count on. I did tell her that she would get my $25 now, but in the long run, it would be an even greater loss because I would never stay at a Best Western again.
What I can tell you is that it is an absolute shame when older women are now being taken advantage of by hotel staff looking to make a quick buck. Imagine if there are 5 people who fall for this a day, just as I did. Thats $125 a day. What has happened to our society? I would highly recommend passing this establishment by, and looking for somewhere else to stay where morals, character, and values still are a priority.
I am truly suprised that the Best Western corporate would have their name associated with this type of establishment, but it seems to be so. Therefore, my business will go elsewhere from now on, and believe me when I tell you that anyone who will listen, will here this story.

13 Thank girlz_on_the_go
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2003

For a small town, BW Riviera has got a great presence thru their friendly staff, clean rooms, swimming pool and location, location location.Highly Recommended.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Foley, AL
Reviewed May 15, 2003

This motel is nice! New rooms, friendly staff, and a great price. My
wife loved it because it was clean and close to the outlet mall. Kids
loved it because it had a pool and was close to the beaches. I loved it
because I didn't have to pay the high beachfront prices. I tell my
friends and family to stay here.

• Stayed January 2005
11 Thank goNolesFoley_AL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foley
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Super 8 Foley
Super 8 Foley
#8 of 10 in Foley
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gulf Shores

Been to Riviera Inn? Share your experiences!