“Hidden Gem”
Review of Courtyard Cafe - CLOSED

Courtyard Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We found this restaurant on another travel website. I don't think we would have ever known it was there even though we live only a short drive from Foley. It's hidden in the back of a courtyard full of cute shops, off the main road through town. We stopped there for lunch and were greeted by a man who I assume was the owner or chef or both. When we first walked in we noticed a case with baked goods in it and he described every item. The atmosphere is very nice with real tablecloths and fancy glasses on the tables - there is also seating outside in the courtyard. Our server was a young man who looked like he may have still been in high school and he had to be one of the most polite young men that age I've ever come across. There were specials available at lunch and all of the prices were very reasonable. I had the Bama Sandwich which was fried balogna and delicious! It was served with homemade potato chips which I usually don't like, but these were very good. My friend had the special which was a salad with grilled shrimp. There were two large skewers of shrimp and we both thought it was a lot of shrimp for a lunch special. She said her meal was also delicious with some of the best blue cheese dressing she had ever tasted. My only complaint was the fried green tomatoes we ordered to start with. The tomatoes were very small and sliced so thin, that there wasn't much tomatoe. But, we did have our choice of several homemade sauces besides the usual ranch. We asked for two - one with chipotle and with wasabi. They were both very tasty and I used them with my potato chips. Dessert was a piece of yellow cake with an unusual icing that looked like a simple chocolate, but also included marshmallow. It wasn't the most moist cake I've ever had, but the icing made it yummy. We had a great lunch and I will be returning.