“Not sure what was going on...”

El Paso Mexican Grill
Ranked #41 of 121 Restaurants in Foley
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Open 7 days lunch and dinner 251.943.3316
Description: Open 7 days lunch and dinner 251.943.3316
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not sure what was going on...”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Upon encountering my worst-ever restaurant experience at El Paso in Foley while on vacation this week, I knew I needed to share with my Tripadvisor friends. To be fair, I realize that every restaurant has a bad night, but there was not one facet of this experience that was acceptable.

In a nutshell: upon arrival on a Friday night, they quoted us a wait time of "40 minutes or more." Not very specific, but an hour later, we were being seated at a table. 15 minutes passed, and a server took our drink order. She brought our drinks rather quickly, but left before taking our food order. This is where everything went south. She disppeared for the next THIRTY minutes. I finally flagged down another server, as our children are getting quite antsy at this point. The server who I flagged down takes our order. Another FULL HOUR passes before one morsel of food arrives at our table. In the interim, the original server did come back to our table and apologized, then made a comment about how she is about to "quit and walk out" because of this terrible night they are having. I did note at this point, that no one in the entire restaurant was eating except for a large table (10-12 peopole) in the back. All I can imagine is that this large party threw off the kitchen's routine. I don't know what else to think.

But most importantly, beyond the atrocious service, was the miserable food they finally brought to our table. The salsa had no spices in it whatsoever - I actually think that whomever made that batch of salsa made a mistake in preparing it. The margarita may not have had any alcohol in it at all. It was so sour and unenjoyable, that I didn't even finish it. Finally, how on Earth could our main course be both burned AND cold? This screams mis-management on several levels. We had ordered fajitas, and the meat comes served on a hot skillet, of course. Apparently the food sat in the window for some time, because the meat was burned to an inedible state, and yes, it was cold. At this point, we had invested three full hours into this terrible experience, and all I wanted to do was leave. We asked for the check, paid and left.

Throughout the entire experience, there was not a manager in sight. No one seemed to care that the entire restaurant was in complete disarray, and that customers were miserable. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited July 2013

Brownsburg, Indiana
“El Paso Works Well”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Needed a great change of pace. Went to El Paso. Immediately served with chips and salsa. I loved the salsa..not everyone in my group did but it had kind of a unique spice.. Not hot - just unique. The meals were all pretty much mainstream Mexican food. No surprises. All tasted great and the service was excellent. I would go there again for sure.

• Visited June 2013
Foley, Alabama, USA
“Average Americanized Mexican food.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Average Mexican food, with the same combination plates and whatnot you'll find everywhere else. One time I had a great relleño here and thought it might be the place's saving grace, but subsequent visits failed to impress.

If you like Mexican food and don't want to drive to the beach or Fairhope, then I guess it's the best choice in Foley, but that ain't saying much.

• Visited November 2012
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Mariachi at its finest!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaraunt was great. The music was my favorite. Chips and salsa served immediately. The salsa had a lot of cilantro in it and could have been spicier. The service was fast and the food took only minutes to arrive. The food was bland.

Visited April 2013
“Good Mexican food”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Service was very good and friendly. Food was good and came out quickly. Prices were average for a Mexican food.

• Visited April 2013

Been to El Paso Mexican Grill? Share your experiences!