“Good hotel for the Money”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Foley
boston
“Good hotel for the Money”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed in the Econo Lodge overnight when we were traveling to AL to pick up our motorhome. It was the night of the Super Bowl in 2013. We were not planning to stay in a hotel but we were arriving late and wanted to watch the Super Bowl. We used a coupon from a travel guide so the price was very reasonable. We were traveling with a cat so there was a $20 extra charge.
The room was very clean and had been recently renovated. It had a microwave and small fridge. The TV was a new LCD and decent size. The beds were very comfortable and I took the information on the mattress because I slept so well. The staff were very friendly. The free continental breakfast the next day was one of the best we have had in a hotel of this level. All in all we were happy with our stay.
There were two negatives, first the TV signal was very snowy. We complained and then went out to dinner and to watch the Super Bowl. When we got back later at night the picture was better but not HD even though the TV was capable of displaying HD. The next morning it was still better.
Second I thought that $20 was a little high for a pet charge. We were happy that they did take pets.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OAK-Boston
Chris S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind words! I'm very sorry about the TV reception on the Super Bowl Channel. I called the cable company and tried to get them to fix it as fast as possible. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Was my first stay in an econo lodge. Is a great experience. Rooms very modern and clean clean clean. Then after a long day of traveling enjoyed to amazing hot tub. And a hot breakfast in the morning. Everything was great!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank meechies
Chris S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose The Econo Lodge Inn & Suites while you were in Foley. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me. The front desk would be happy to connect you to my office.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had an event in Foley, AL and went with Econo Lodge. Was a good decision, this is a well maintained facility and the staff certainly works hard to keep the place up. Fair price, clean rooms, friendly staff, across from Tanger Outlet. If I find myself in Foley again this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HuntsvilleOutbound
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. I always enjoy reading positive reviews like yours and sharing them with the staff. It's let's us know that while there is always room for improvement, we are living up to expectations. That's always a great feeling!!
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here this past weekend. It was cheap and clean. Beds were comfy. Pool, kiddie pool & hot tub were nice. Also, good breakfast served in morning. I am picky about my hotels, I'd stay here again. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank LauraS417
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to Foley. If there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to ask!! Thank You!
Byhalia, Mississippi
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in this hotel (9/29/12). We noticed something on the ceiling and investigating further, found the entire ceiling was molded. We went to the front desk and inquired if they had experienced water damage recently. Lo and behold they said yes and it was the room where we were staying. Why in the world would they place a guest in a room where they knew water damage had occurred without first checking to make sure the room was properly sanitized and clean. They did move us to another room, but did not offer to comp the room. We would not recommend this hotel, and we definitely won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Always check the ceilings and walls for mold.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris S, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
This is of course one of the worst type of reviews we can receive. I assure you that I have no knowledge of any structural damage within my property. Please contact me when you have a moment to inform me of what room this leak is in. Thanks for taking the time to report what is clearly an unacceptable condition. Myself, the owner and all of the higher management strive to keep all of our hotels in the best possible condition. If we have a problem, we need to know about it to fix. I am extremely disappointed that a member of my staff was aware of this issue and did not report it.

I apologize for my failure in regard to this situation. Please follow up when time allows.

CS

Travelers are raving about these Foley hotels

Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I picked this hotel because they were listed online as being "pet friendly". And they are. For a price. Upon checking in, I went over the charges with the desk person to be sure I understand what I was being charged and why. I was given one piece of paper that showed the pet charge, the room charge, the taxes, etc. and AT THE TOP, IT SAID, "TOTAL BALANCE DUE $105.84." AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAPER IT SAID, "TOTAL BALANCE DUE $105.84." In-between those two lines was a confusing hodge-podge of subcharges, etc. I was also given a second, briefer summary of charges and it too said, TOTAL BALANCE DUE $105.84". Several times I asked the desk person if the $105.84 was indeed the TOTAL CHARGE and she assured me it was. I was using a debit card and I wanted to KNOW the proper amount to enter in my check book. When I checked out, I was given another piece of paper and it said "Visa payment $105.84 and TOTAL BALANCE DUE $0.00."

The room was okay. Nothing special but not bad. It was clean. There was a lot of foot traffic outside my room and it seemed the place was popular with traveling construction crews and the like as the parking lot was filled with work trucks both nights.

Nonetheless, when I got my bank statement and was balancing my check book, I noticed the charge for $105.84 and an additional charge of $21.60 for the pet fee. This mildly frustrated me as I had made several efforts to determine the exact charges at the time I stayed in the hotel. I decided to call and ask them to explain this to me.

The first person I spoke wth was a lady who didn't seem to understand anything I was saying at all. She had the GM call me back. It was apparent tht he was on the defensive from the get-go. I gave him my name, told him when I stayed at the hotel and which room I had stayed in. I then began trying to explain to him what was told to me the night I checked in and what the receipts said. However, the more I tried to explain to him why I was confused about the bililng, the more conescending and uppity he got. He kept saying the same thing over and over...."The $21.60 was for the pet fee." He absolutely refused to understand that when youi ask someone repeatedly and they tell you several times over that "THE TOTAL CHARGE IS $105.84"...YOU EXPECT THE TOTAL CHARGE TO BE $105.84. I told him he could dance around semantics all day but the final word was, intentional or not, the cost of the room had been misrepresented to me. He then began to tell me what was said at the desk that evening which I found fascinating because he had not been there. He got more and more condescending and snippy. I shouldn't have let him rile me but he did. I used the word "hell" once in regard to the situation, not in regard to him, and he accused me of cursing HIM?! He was now merely looking for any excuse the end the conversation.

Then, when I told him I would simply go online and write a reveiw of his hotel and explain my side of the situation, he accused me of threatening him. Threatening HIM??! Not complaining about the the check-in process of the hotel but threatening him! He obviously has never been really threatened. I told him it was my right to review the hotel online. He again repeated that I had threatened him. He is now pulling out all the stops to end this conversation and come away feeling justified.

Only once, late in the conversation, did he asked what I expected him to do about the situation and that query was done in a tone of disgust, not a sincere effort of making the customer happy. He never really explained to me why the receipt is so misleading and confusing. He never apologized for the misunderstanding. He never once sounded sincerely concerned with customer satisfaction. His soul purpose from the beginning was to attack my complaint.

Like I said, the hotel was clean. The room was okay but nothing special. A great many traveling workers seem to stay there but I won't ever stay there again. That will probably make the GM happy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank gwc1947
It's always discouraging for my staff and I when in spite of our best efforts, we are slammed publicly and our hotel suffers because of it. Much thanks to Trip Advisor for allowing hotels the platform to reply and to all of you that have left such great reviews for our property. It is because of you taking the time to accurately describe our hotel and commitment to service that we are currently ranked as the #2 hotel in Foley Alabama. We're #2, We try harder!

The gentleman that left this review did not, in my opinion, accurately describe the events that took place. Briefly: This guest was offered by our hotel a rate that was over 60% off the regular daily rate. Kinda like the rate Captain Kirk offered on Priceline before he fell off the mountain, only better. We are pet friendly, for a one time $20.00 + tax charge, you can have Astro stay with you without having to sneak him in!

All of this was described to this gentleman upon check-in. He agreed to the terms, signed a registration sheet stating that he understood and went merrily along his way.

As stated by the guest, upon check out he was provided a completed invoice. The hodge podge that the guests states was in the invoice consisted of three charges. Two were room charges and one was the pet fee.

The next we heard from this guest was three weeks later, when he called the hotel and began to yell at the Guest Service Agent on duty. She came to my office and asked me to please help. I took the call and attempted to explain the charges one by one. At this point the gentleman began to yell and scream at me as well. What the guest describes in his review as getting riled up was in actuality him accusing my staff of lying and a name calling session that went on literally for several minutes. As for threatening my hotel, I'll leave that up to the reader to decide. Here is what the guest said to me.- (If you don't give me my money back, then I will trash you and your hotel all over the internet.)

Condescending, snippy? A little hard to be either when a man is calling you names and screaming in your ear for minutes on end. All I can do in that situation is remain calm, take the abuse and try to end the call. After wishing me to hell, thankfully I was able to.

Please come see us for yourself! We have so much to offer!
Maylene, Alabama
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were planning to attended a football game in Mobile (Go Troy Trojans!) and wanted to eat in Gulf Shores after the game so we decided to look for a reasonable room in the area. We booked a suite through the ChoiceHotels.com website and had NO problems during our stay. Check-in was quick, the reservation was correct, the large room was clean with good bedding, and the extent of the continental breakfast was a surprise. We have stayed at higher priced hotels that had the same options for breakfast. The best thing about the property is it is across from the outlet mall, but for us it was the closeness to Gulf Shores. Remember our initial reason for staying in Foley? The property is five miles from the intercoastal waterway and another two miles to the white sand beaches of Alabama! Our trip from Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile took about forty-five minutes so even individuals looking to stay in the Mobile area might need to check out this property!

Room Tip: The suite we booked had two beds plus a pullout sofa. It was located directly above the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mr_E_in_Alabama
I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose The Econo Lodge while you were in Foley. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town. If I can do anything for you during your next visit to our hotel, please do not hesitate to call me. The front desk would be happy to connect you to my office.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foley
Quality Inn
Lewiston Hall
Lewiston Hall
#14 of 24 in Gulf Shores
Comfort Suites Foley

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!