“Horrible”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Florence
Marble, North Carolina
“Horrible”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I would not wish for my worst enemy to stay at this motel! I ask for a non smoking room and was given a room that reeked of smoke and alcohol. The table was broke, one of the beds were broke, the tv would not turn on, The lamp shade was broke and busted. the wall paper was coming off the wall and it looked like it had mold on it. The carpet was stained up and would turn your feet black if you took off your shoes. the bed were very lumpy. This is the WORST motel I have ever stayed at in my life. This place needs to shut down or clean up there act. Plus on top of everything else the person in the next room had dogs that barked all night long and would not shut up so you could sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Vicki O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The place has gone down hill from a few years ago. I use to work here and at that time it was a great place to stay. Yes, maybe the management took out the carpet and put hardwood floors and granite in the showers but still needs lots of help. I stayed in one of the rooms that use to be special to our guest, and oh boy it has turned out bad. This is what the manage needs to do: Get all new bedspreads, better wifi, new mattress, change the furniture in the front office that has been there for years, and also get new furniture for all the rooms. With all the new places to stay in Florence, look forward on this place closing down soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank lvilchek

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Roswell, GA
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Let me start by saying the first review I submitted was so bad and my comments so explicit that it was denied by TripAdvisor. Here is my re-write:

Avoid this hotel it at all costs. Sleep in your car if you have to.

This hotel is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in at any point in the past 20 years. The rooms are incredibly dated and reek terribly of heavy, heavy smoke, even the non-smoking rooms. The beds are little more than an old mattress covered with a couple of sheets (not even a fitted sheet) and a thin, brown, cigarette burned blanket (that is assuming you have already removed the comforter). The walls were stained light brown in several places from some sort of leak from above. The floor is not wood as was shown in some photos here but is old carpet; a dark green and beyond dirty, matted and worn out carpet. There are small extension cords, running along baseboards serving damaged and stained lamps. One of the lamps was falling off the wall. The bathroom reminds me of a gas station bathroom with a shower. The toilet seat had a large brown stain on the underside. Tile grout on the floor was stained a mix of white (like caked up toothpaste), and oily brown to black from various things expelled or spilled over the years. I did not touch the microwave and fridge but if I did it would certainly be with a couple of layers of kleenex/toilet paper. The anti-slip mat on floor of the tub was coming unglued and held water from previous visitors. Overall it was a horribly terrible visit and I would not stay here again. Ever.

I'm not a health code inspector, but I would imagine there are health code violations associated with this property.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank HaagenDazs78
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the Trail of Tears ride in September. Check in was ok, staff friendly. When I got the credit card receipt and saw $95 bucks I was shocked! Ok they jack the rates up for an event time. It happens. But the room we were assigned wasn't worth 10 bucks! Nasty. We changed, a little better but still not clean. So we are with a big group and they were put in the few rooms that are remodeled and they are ok. So my wife talks them down to normal rate ( $47). I could live with that. They are working on it, maybe it will get better.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Davjulstew
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I know you get what you pay for, but I had stayed at this property several years back, so I thought it would be ok... well, it has most definitely gone down hill since then... I felt robbed paying $56 for the night! Thank God we did not have to stay there longer than that... and I can't imagine if we'd had our 2 year old daughter with us. I would never have brought my daughter into that cesspool! But there were some children staying there, or at least sneaking into the pool.

When we first arrived, the staff was friendly. However, their attitude somewhat declined with just a few questions/complaints. First, my husband noticed that there was a coffee maker, but no pot, coffee, or any other items needed to make coffee in the rooms. He went to the front desk to ask, and they said they didn't have anything, but he could get coffee from the office. While he was gone that first time, I looked around a bit... it seemed clean enough at first glance... but this was mostly due to the lack of lighting... I did notice the microwave & fridge were stained and grimey on the outside. However, the insides were clear and clean. Next, my husband couldn't get the remote to work with the tv. It was an old box tv... guess they aren't upgrading to flat screens. So, he went back to the office. They gave him a new remote and some illegibly scratched out directions on a post-it for how to program it to the tv. When he still couldn't get it to work, he called to ask if he'd done it right. The lady at the front desk was rude and talked down to him, but finally gave him enough information to get it to work.

We left to have dinner with some friends and when we came back, I turned on the lights over the sink. That's when I noticed how stained the carpets really were... the little lamps in the room barely lit up anything, but after seeing with the ugly florescent lighting, I wasn't taking my shoes off in there. We stayed the night, because it was late, and it was a holiday weekend, so we didn't want to fuss with finding another hotel with availability.

The next morning I went to get a shower and realized that the shower curtain was not tied back as I had thought when we arrived, but actually was so covered in mildew it had stuck together in a clump at the bottom. I took a shower (in my flip flops) with the shower curtain open, so I didn't have to touch the slime. This place is just not fit for anything! I will never stay at the Knights Inn in Florence, AL again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravCoord04
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed April 21, 2013

NASTY! Stains on the furniture. Carpet could not have been vacuumed in months. Hair in the tub. Old, built up grime on both the inside and outside of the frig and microwave. Smears on the table and mirrors where it looked as if someone had tried to clean them with a dirty rag. The shower and sink had faucet leaks. The room had a smokey smell that was not tobacco or pot. In the future I would choose to sleep in my car than at a Knights Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scott S
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in a room with 2 double beds for two nights. When I arrived to check in the staff was friendly, which was the ONLY positive thing about our stay. I actually ended up paying a couple of dollars more than what my reservation was even for which I didn't catch until after I was already checked in. When we walked into our room it was like a sauna. The heat was blasting on high. I tried to turn it off but the knob was broken. The temperature knob worked so I was able to control the temp of the air coming out of it (to a point anyway) but I never was able to shut it off. The carpet looked black it was so filthy and worn down. There was no coffee maker or hair dryer as they advertise is available in every room. Within an hour of checking in, we killed our first very healthy roach. The wallpaper was peeling on one wall. Tried to find an ice machine the first night and couldn't. The whole property is layed out more like an apartment complex than a hotel. There seemed to be several shady people watching us as we unloaded into our room so I didn't go searching for an ice machine on the other side of the property, which is where I did find it the next day. WIFI NEVER once worked for us. The shower wouldn't keep a consistant temperature. One minute it was hot enough to burn you and the next it was ICE cold. The shower head was also so full of gunk that the water could barely come out and it certainly wasn't in one direction. You probably would have more water pressure with a garden hose! The next night we killed two more very healthy roaches. We were woke up at midnight to a car alarm that kept going off. The room next to us obviously had a prostitute working in it as several different cars visited her all night long. (In fact the car alarm was in front of her room.) The next morning at 8:00 AM a woman who we later found out was the "maid" knocked on our door while I was in the shower and my friend was still sleeping. My friend, not knowing who she was and with her looking completely unprofessional, did not answer the door. Later as we were loading our car she asked if we were checking out or staying again so thats when we discovered she was the maid. Check out time was 11AM and she was banging on our door at 8AM. Not too thrilled about that. The overall appearance of the motel was that they catered to shady people who more or less lived in the rooms instead of people passing through, such as ourselves. The motel was disgusting and I think I can honestly say the only thing missing was rodents. Although, its not the season for rodents so I'm sure they are a problem other times of the year. This is our second terrible experience with a Knights Inn. We no longer will be staying at ANY Knights Inn.

Room Tip: DON'T stay here period!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business