“Best Kept Secret in the South”

Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel and property located in Florence, AL is splendid with accommodations and service that you generally don't receive at other major chains. The staff is great and always willing to go above and beyond. Also you could not ask for a better general manager in Larry Bowser. We met Larry at the Swampers bar and he really made us feel like VIP's at this location. Can't wait to come back and enjoy the kind staff and beautiful property.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony view on the side of the pool and water park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Shoals_GM, General Manager at Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Thank you for your kind words and support. It was great to meet you as well. Thanks for being a fan of the Shoals and we hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

As with MOST Marriott stays I have experienced, the staff treats it's patrons with upmost courtesy and respect and with this property in particular...I felt VIP status. From the doorman to he bellhop, the desk staff to the waiters in the "Swampers" bar and grill, everything was top notch. All rooms have a balcony which is large enough to relax and enjoy a great view of the Tennessee river, beautiful "zero entry pool" with water level starting about one inch deep and graduating to swim depth, and the horizon beyond. The 360 grill restaurant sits approximately 300 feet above on a rotating platform which is set to make one full revolution in about 60 minutes. The prices are a bit steep also, but the quality of the meal along with the view leaves you wanting more. All in all this weekend getaway was well worth the small amount of cash we spent for the memories which will be with us longer the few hundred buck would have.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Top level floors for a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Florence is a beautiful town and the Marriott Shoals Hotel and Spa is the perfect hotel to stay in when visiting! The 360 view restaurant was very good, the pool area was beautiful and the spa, a delightful experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a pretty large Marriott with extensive facilities, so I'll be quite fair begin by saying that during my two night business stay there, I did not sample the mini water park, or any of the other facilities.

I managed to pick the two nights of the week that the famous rotating restaurant that looms over the hotel in the front was closed. So although I've heard good things, it's not open Sunday and Monday nights.

The hotel was also fully booked so I couldn't score my usual upgrade for being Platinum Elite with Marriott.

The room was decent enough, spacious, separate bath and shower, good connectivity for computer and other electronics. Decent furniture, nice bed.

I was on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the watermark, river and dam. Certainly quite picturesque. But this was spoiled by the fact that from dawn until dusk the balcony was bombarded with large bumble bees and angry wasps. The bumble bees would hover a couple of feet from the balcony and then occasionally dive in. The wasps would zoom in and hover menacingly around, then flit off, only to repeat this a few moments later.

It's pretty difficult to relax and enjoy the view when nasty bugs are dive bombing and looking for trouble.

The other issue I had was that the rooms seemed to be operating on a central heating and cooling system. So the hotel had already switched over to air for the summer, but in April it can still get fairly chilly. No matter what temperature you set the thermostat to, it just blew room temperature air making a draft, or cold air, making a cold room even colder. There was no warm option available.

Ultimately I'd probably have given the hotel four green Trip Advisor circles, if it hadn't been so expensive. But once prices start to shift north of $150, I find myself becoming extra critical. The more you charge me, the more I expect to be impressed.

The staff were pleasant, the restaurant food was decent, it all looks pretty nice, and I'm sure if I had time to try there 360 restaurant or water park, I'd have been even more impressed. But judging just the room, and considering the price paid, it needs a little more. And they need to get rid of those stupid annoying bugs that make the balconies unusable (at least mine).

Room Tip: You are going to be looking at the parking lot with the space-ship like 360 restaurant looming over...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ZCT808
Shoals_GM, General Manager at Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Marriott Shoals and for taking the time to provide us this feedback. I deeply regret that you experience was less than perfect. I can completely understand your frustrations with our flying pests that we seem to get this time of year. We fight diligently every spring and by guests such as you, letting us know, it allows us to locate and treat the nests. Our HVAC system should have adjusted the temperature to the setting on your thermostat. I have turned this in for that unit to be serviced by my engineering department. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience. Thank you again for making me aware of these issues. We hope to have back as our guest very soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Great place to take in a few sites in the area and relax. Not abundant with activities, but worth the trip if you wish to take time off and be pampered. We stayed in one of the suites and relaxed for a couple if days, taking in the spa and the restaurant. Gotta try the restaurant! It rotates a complete 360 degrees slowly while you dine. Try to make reservations close to sunset. You will not be disappointed by the beautiful scenery or the delightful food (or any of the pleasant staff)!

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had one night to stay in Florence, and reservations at the 360 Grille. Staying here was natural since the Grille is connected to the Hotel.

This is a rather large Hotel and we stayed on the 5th floor in a room quite far from the lobby. That distance was disconcerting at first, but after we heard how loud the music was coming into the lobby and atrium from the Swampers Bar, I was glad of the distance. We never heard any music in our room....but I am curious about those rooms closer to the lobby area.

Breakfast was not included in the room rates, and considering the rate, they could have offered two breakfast levels, a continential breakfast that comes with the room and the steam table full breakfast offered in Swampers. We ate a full breakfast downstairs and it was very good. They had everything you'd normally want, including an omelette cooked on the spot to your order.

The room was spacious, but ony had one chair (other than a vinyl desk chair) which makes it ok for single travellers, but when couples travel this is not so convenient.

The bed was comfortable and the other amenities were acceptable. Look for the cool little coffee pot with coffee hidden in the cabinet at the foot of the bed. It is not obvious and we could have missed it.

The view from the balcony would have been very nice except it is wasp season, and they ruled the balcony!

Room Tip: Rooms further from the Lobby are likely to be quieter due to the open Atrium that extends up to the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We picked this lovely hotel because we enjoy staying at Marriott Resort Hotels and it got
such great reviews on Trip Advisors. We were not disappointed! The hotel is well maintained,
the service is excellent, and the nice, casual bar area offers good drinks and a tasty menu.
The pool looked like so much fun for kids and while it was too cool to use, we did enjoy
sitting by it and relaxing in the warm Alabama sun. Having a balcony is another nice addition
and the view is beautiful looking at the dam on the Tennessee River and hills in the background.
An added advantage are the reasonable rates--I know we were there out of season, but getting something this nice for well under $200 is a bargain and the food menu was reasonable for
the quality. This would be an ideal place for a little family getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple