“Excellent hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Florence
Alabama
“Excellent hotel!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed with husband for two nights while he's traveling for business. Very relaxing stay, for me anyway. I think it's worth it to book a concierge room with a river view. A very nice lady helped me in the lounge this morning for breakfast. The lounge is open for breakfast and then for the evening. It's also open in between for drinks and snacks. The lady also told me that I could borrow magazines to take to the pool. The pool is amazing, although there does seem to be a lot of wasps out there:/. We did enjoy a couple meals at the casual dining restaurant swampers. Very helpful staff and beautiful hotel. Excellent housekeeping. Not sure what else there is to do around, as I spent my time by the pool on the short trip.

Room Tip: 6th floor river view and pool view is nice!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This place is incredible! 2 hours 15 minutes from Nashville. Located on the banks of the Tennessee River. Lots to see, do, and eat! Rosenbaum House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Helen Keller birthplace . W.C. Handy birthplace . Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. Bunyan's Bar-B-Q!!! Trowbridge's( chili dogs, white beans, and malts) Mac McAnally.....

Hotel has bar,Swampers, and a revolving restaurant, 360 Grille, atop the Renaissance tower. Room overlooked pool and the Tennessee river. Staff members were very friendly.

If you ride this is a great weekend destination.

• Stayed March 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is such a beautiful facility. It is a shame that it probably is underutilized. It is right next to the local convention center, which, despite having stayed here many times in the past 6 months, I have never seen being used. The lobby is grand, with soaring ceilings and balconies, a water feature and many window. The bar has live music most every night. Don't miss the opportunity to hang out next to the gas fire pits just outside the bar. The pool looks fun, with a waterfall and waterslide, but the weather has been inhospitable each time I stay. If you can afford it, I highly recommend a dinner in the tower. The rotating view is beautiful even at night and the food is exquisite. The rooms are large with an accessible balcony. The rooms have clean open bathrooms, but they lack a tub. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they do a great job of decorating for the holidays if you happen to be there during the season. My biggest issue with this resort is that there isn't much around it to do and it always seems empty, except at the rather lively bar where the crowd is clearly music driven.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Idaho
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is the second time in 5 months I have stayed at The Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa for business. I wish all the hotels I have stayed at for business trips were this nice. I have enjoyed staying at this beautiful hotel both times. The room was great and the beds comfortable. All of the staff are very friendly and works hard to make sure you have a pleasant stay. One night they used their shuttles to drop off/pick up our group to one of the local restaurants. As far as the location, the hotel is only about a 5 minute drive from where I was conducting my business, is next to the river for fishing, and there a golf courses close by. My hotel room had a nice large balcony and overlooked the river. I did use the outside hot tub and it was clean with that strong chlorine odor you sometime have with hotel pools. I would like to stay at this hotel in future for pleasure with the family.

I do highly recommend the sweet chilli wings at the Swampers Bar & Grill!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went to Florence, Alabama because of it's close proximity to Nashville. We saw this hotel and thought it looked amazing...we were right! We went with our 1 year old and 4 year old. The kids LOVED the train playground out back as well as the indoor pool. (It was too cold to swim outside!). My husband and I took turns after the kids went to bed and had a drink at the spectacular revolving restaurant and listened to the nightly live music in the bar/ restaurant near the lobby. For kids, there's a children's museum nearby that is small, but perfect for young children. Of course Muscle Shoals has a great music scene and golf. Overall it was a great trip. We are actually going again this weekend.

• Stayed April 2012
Tuscaloosa
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is the #1 Marriott worldwide and I now know why. The hotel is very well kept but not extravagant and the people are the friendliest, most helpful, and courteous that I have experienced anywhere. This is a tribute to the individuals and the local management. Visit the website for the amenities and pictures. Being from Alabama, the employees make me proud because of the their true southern hospitality. I have stayed at several Marriott hotels including the Ross Bridge Resort in Birmingham and the entire organization needs study the way this hotel is run. My wife and I ate at the 360 restaurant which is a must do when visiting. If you have never been to Alabama or played the RTJ golf trail this is the place to begin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I went last weekend and stayed over Saturday night. I had read reviews of the hotel and was looking forward to trying the "spinning" restaurant. Neither disappointed. When we first arrived the friendly bellman opened my door so quickly I almost fell out of the car, we usually have to flag someone down to help with our luggage. :) Not here, quick professional service with a smile. The front desk was just as friendly and efficient. We were checked in and in our room in no time

Our room was a king, perfectly clean and smelled great. We enjoyed the balcony overlooking the pool and with a nice view of the river and dam. The bathroom was spacious and had all the amenities one could want. I was concerned that I left my jacket at home, but found the hotel provided robe to be a comfy and warm substitute. We also enjoyed the mini-fridge and coffee maker. The only negative I can think of it is the internet is not free. It was spotty at times and we had trouble when using my husband's iPad and my iPhone at the same time. I don't mind paying $10 a night for wifi, but only if it works and is fast.

The highlight of our visit had to be dinner at the 360 Grille. It was better than I expected. Very nice, cozy and romantic. The food and service were excellent. Not stuffy or pretentious, but just right. A little pricey, but to be expected and honestly worth every penny. The view was amazing and the added novelty of slowly rotating as you dine just made the whole experience extra special. After dinner we had drinks on the outdoor patio (enclosed with plastic because of the chilly weather) with fire pits, tables, televisions, and piped in music from the inside bar. Very nice and relaxing. The drinks were delicious and our waiter was attentive and friendly, but not overbearing.

Overall, our experience was excellent. I would definitely return to this hotel. I would like to have a day to enjoy the spa and the indoor pool and hot tub or in nice weather the amazing outdoor pool. We also discovered Ivy Green, the birthplace of Helen Keller, not too far from the hotel on our ride home. I would have loved to go in and tour the home, but it was closed on Sunday. Not much else to see or do in the area but the hotel is a worthy destination all by itself. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple