“Good food, but prepare to walk away with a heavy stomach”

Newbern's Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 162 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Seafood
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
“Good food, but prepare to walk away with a heavy stomach”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We arrived to a packed restaurant at 4:30 pm on a Saturday, which is always a good sign. The food was good, but I still left disappointed and won't return unless with someone else. I prefer to eat as healthy as possible, and I always try to choose lighter fare when dining out. Although Newbern's catfish is quite good, they do not offer grilled or baked catfish...only fried. My wife always orders salads, as she avoids fried foods, but this restaurant does not even offer a salad. I had a hard time believing this, so I asked our waitress, and she confirmed that the catfish only comes fried and they do not offer any salads. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any seafood (or chicken) on the menu that wasn't fried. Also, even though the food was high quality and tasty, their menu offerings are limited. I normally enjoy substituting healthier side items for the ones offered on the menu, but Newbern's doesn't offer any alternatives for side items. You can choose french fries or baked potato, and that's it! There are no other alternatives offered, or at least I didn't see any on the menu. Their hushpuppies are excellent, and I liked the cole slaw. If you like fried catfish, then I recommend Newbern's. However, if like us, you're planning on going to the North Alabama State Fair after dinner, then avoid Newbern's. The food is good, but you will walk away with a heavy stomach, and you won't enjoy the fair rides nearly as much.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Joseph J

Graniteville, South Carolina
“Best Catfish”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Newbern's Restaurant in Florence, AL is a wonderful place. It has delicious catfish - whole and fillets. The waitstaff is great, especially Teresa and Donna.

• Visited September 2013
Riverview, Florida
“Good food and service”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The atmosphere is kind of like a moose lodge feel but the food and service were good. Don't expect great ambiance but good food and service. I didn't see the weird dolls the one visitor talked about just some plain pictures on the wall with plain plastic plates and silverware.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Tinkerbell1391
Florence, Alabama
“Great Fried Catfish”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

People who want catfish are not looking for great decor and ambiance. What they do want is good fried fish & sides, cleanliness, and great service & friendly folks. This is Newbern's. Great whole or fish filets with very good hush puppies, fries/baked potatoes, (all served hot & fresh), and slaw. The servers are quickly and friendly -- some being there for years.
If it's not broken, don't fix it! Well, the crowds on Friday & Saturday nights will assure you Newbern's is not broken.

Leighton, Alabama
“Great Cat Fish”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I have lived in the area for the past 28 years. Anytime we want good and I mean good cat fish we come here. The servers are nice and friendly. Yes they display their religion but they don't push it. If you want to talk to them about it they will talk. The food is very good and the prices are reasonable.