“Overnight stay, Florence/Muscle Shoals Alabama”

Residence Inn Florence
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We wanted to stay at the Marriot Shoals but it was booked on short notice. The Residence Inn was our second choice. I had never stayed in a Residence Inn but online reviews were good so we called ahead and preregistered about 10 miles out of town. Front desk staff were efficient and friendly. I don't know what I expected but it was well laid out and spotlessly clean. Overnight we were awakened by the fire department noisily coming down the hall and a party being held around 3 am in the parking lot below our window. Since I did not call the desk to report the parking lot party, I can't fault management for that. Of course, if there was a fire the fire department would need to make as much noise as possible. In this case it may have been someone smoking in a room. We heard someone say "there is the law". The hotel advertises a complimentary "full American breakfast". To me "full American breakfast" includes bacon. No bacon, but otherwise everything was excellent from presentation to taste. Overall, I would recommend the Residence Inn but I would ask if they were hosting a large family reunion (matching t shirts) before I booked. Final bill was $126.54 for one night, two people. For our purposes just overnight we did not need the kitchen area but I would have appreciated it on a longer stay. Nice friendly, staff.

Room Tip: Maybe a room on the top floor to avoid noise from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 27, 2012

During a recent stay at this Residence Inn, I asked for and received a late checkout. The front desk person did not inform me that I would be charged for an additional night's stay.

Marriott customer service did not respond to my request to have the charge removed until a second contact was made about ten days later. Their response was that the inn manager thought that a 50 percent refund was merited because they could not rent out the suite that night.

I have notified Marriott Customer service that only a 100 percent refund is satisfactory due to me not being notified at the time of the late checkout request.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to reduce noise levels.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank wmleken
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We loved this hotel! It's better than what we expected to find in small-town Alabama. Our stay here was sandwiched between staying at two other hotels, so we were able to immediately compare it. The hotel is fresh and modern. It didn't seem too busy when we stayed in the middle of July. The staff was nice and down-to-earth. The king suite was so nice, well appointed, with new furnishings, and a wonderful kitchen area. The bed was comfortable and the hallways were quiet. We really loved that the bathroom sink and mirror were not in the room with the bath/toilet area OR the master bedroom. The free breakfast was great with cereals, yogurts, fresh eggs, breakfast potatoes, biscuits, juices, fruit, etc. The pool was on the small side, but there was also a nice basketball court to use. The mall and restaurants are just a few minutes away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Without a doubt, I can understand why this hotel is considered the best in Florence. We usually stay at a Residence Inn when traveling, and this is one of the nicest ones that we have visited. It is in a suburban location just off a busy street, but it's actually pretty quiet. Consequently, there are a number of plazas and fast food restaurants nearby, but not too many within walking distance. The hotel staff was kind and courteous, the internet connection was good, and the room were clean. There are stairs to the upper levels, if you're like me and can't stand elevators. While we were at the hotel, there was a little league baseball group staying there as well, and not surprisingly, tons of kids were running around. But believe it or not, you couldn't really hear them from the rooms. Therefore, I would recommend this hotel if you're traveling to Florence.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2012

After reading that this was the #1 hotel in Florence we booked based on that. We were disappointed in several things. We were on the 3rd floor and there was smoking going on somewhere, even though this was a smoke free hotel. The elevators needed vacuuming and people had left cans, etc. in them. It was a busy holiday with lots of families which is not their usual clientele so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Well the next morning there was still the stench of smoke, the elevator floors had not been vacuumed and the nasty floors leading to the elevators and then on to the fitness room had not been mopped even though it had been all night. There were no towels in the morning at the pool or in the fitness room. We could overlook one or two things, but this was too much for me. Also, there was hair on the bathroom floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Max M
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We were in the area visiting family and this hotel was a great place to stay. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable and the kitchen was well-equipped. Good wireless Internet access. The breakfast was fairly standard with meat and potato options that changed daily. My daughter loved making her own waffle. The lobby was beautiful and spacious and there were many places to sit with your breakfast. If it hadn't been crazy hot we might have sat outside, there is a very pleasant outdoor seating area with a firepit that obviously we had no interest in this time but would be great for cooler weather. The pool is not huge but it is clean and well maintained. This hotel will continue to be our home away from home I Florence.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed here for a week and found it conviently located near the center of Florence, but there's not much if anything within walking distance. But after all this is AL not a big city so I doubt there will be many people staying here without a car. The employees are friendly, the rooms are clean and in good conditions, and the bed and pillows are comfortable. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family