“Dry meat and lousy atmosphere”
Review of Original Ben's Jr

Original Ben's Jr
Ranked #2 of 4 Quick Bites in Fairhope
Reviewed March 21, 2017

Four of us ordered two combo platters to share - ribs, chicken, beef, and pork, with coleslaw and onion rings. The ribs were burned, the chicken overcooked and dry, and the coleslaw had a watery, flavorless dressing. We all left wondering how this place could get such high ratings - perhaps it is the only bbq place around. None of us would ever return.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank CandE_Brunner

Reviewed March 13, 2017 via mobile

Well, tried this place because it was recommended by a friend. The service was bad. I had to go to the front to ask for dressing for my salad and a refill on my iced tea. The sweet tea is excellent! The man bussing and waiting tables was unfriendly and didn't seem concerned that I was out of tea. The onion rings tasted stale and not fresh, like cold fried food that was microwaved. The pork plate was okay but the baked beans were terrible. Large portions of bad food don't make this place worth it. The atmosphere is musty and dirty. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Kimberly H
Reviewed March 5, 2017

The BBQ here is great. It looks like a hole in the wall but the food is amazing. The sweet tea is fixed just right. The food is always hot and fresh. The meat is tender and tasty. They have some great hamburgers and the fries and onion rings are just right. They always have a line when you can find them open and that is the only bad review I can give them is they aren't open enough.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed January 19, 2017 via mobile

This is the type of place you just drive by and don't even look back. In doing so it is such a waste!
Though the place is not very much on display the food is really good! I had the pork barbecue with some of that delicious sauce, along with crispy french fries.
I'm glad we went to this place and I'll be for sure coming back!

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

Wow! Was looking for something for lunch that might be different and did we ever luck out. Doesn't look like much from the front, but looks can be deceiving. Rather than the barbecue, we each ordered the fried seafood platter. Only problem was we should have just ordered one. More than enough for two people! Fried scallops, shrimp, oysters, whole stuffed crab, fish filets and more crab claws than you could count. Hush puppies, coleslaw and fries finished the platter. Wife ordered an "Arnold Palmer" and it came in a large mason jar. Everything tasted great. Food was excellent, service good. Will be going back to see if the barbecue is as good.

Date of visit: November 2016

Been to Original Ben's Jr? Share your experiences!