TripAdvisor
Fairhope
Post
Inbox
Search

“Things still sadly have not improved... service slow and average food”
Review of BILL-E's

BILL-E's
Order Online
Ranked #37 of 137 Restaurants in Fairhope
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Hungry For A Good Time? I opened my restaurant (some call it a dive, but whatever) back in 2011 for two reasons. I wanted the good people of Fairhope, Alabama to have a no frills place where they could kick back and enjoy an afternoon or evening of live music, lively conversation, and killer grub. Also, I needed a place to smoke and serenade my delicious bacon. Located on Highway 181-formerly Highway 27, hence my original name, Old 27 Grill-Bill-E's is where locals and vacationers alike come to throw their cares and their diets to the wind. I welcome you to do the same. - Bill E
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We haven't been here since 2016 (formerly Old Grill 27); we visited again on a Friday night and there was live entertainment outside- this was a nice treat. However, still a sluggish crowd - not sure why on a Friday night this would be the case (lines up w/ our previous review)... The waitress was very friendly - but continually made excuses all night long - for not knowing the beers on hand - for a mishap in husband receiving wrong burger, for our bill having two incorrect prices for items. The first being I ordered two happy hour drinks - bill reflected full price. The second being my husbands beer - his first and second choice were not available (similar to our last visit); he got his 3rd choice but were charged for higher priced beer. My drink, a martini came out practically warm. The bar sits outside so all alcohol is fairly warm - the drink was not shaken long enough to cool down the vodka. (I did suggest they keep a bottle in the fridge for martinis). It was a very tasty drink and I did order two! I was hoping the first one sat too long before i got it and got warm... which brings me to another thing -SLOW service - it took a very long time for each of my drinks- it took a very long time for our bill and then a longer time to get bill addressed.
The food is really rather average. The pictures on Facebook enticed us to come again... and we figured new management, etc... but, the apps (mini chili rellenos) were what appeared to be from a bag, frozen - we got 6 small bite size for $5. My hubs burger, which again came out wrong - was average - not to mention he was almost talked into keeping the wrong burger!? Why don't we just let the kitchen and or server order for us next time!? LOL My shrimp sandwich was good and it did taste fresh local (I asked - they said yes).
We were asked many times how things were (but, it almost seemed like when we shared some of the mishaps and tried to give honest feedback that we were just complainers - we rec'd blank stares and then again from the waitress many more excuses.) The owner is hands on and he is out and about checking on things - I just wish he would have been more receptive to our feedback. He did correct the bill and bought me one of my drinks for the mishap. IDK perhaps we misread him. But, ultimately his restaurant is not full on a Friday night in Fairhope. Not a good sign.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (178)

Reviewed September 3, 2019

Excellent food and drinks. The bar tenders are very accommodating. Best burger I have had in years and they even cooked it medium rare like i requested. Also they knew to put lettuce on bottom of burger so bun didn't get soggy. The only bad thing is I live 3 1/2 hours away. Open up a location in Baton Rouge please!

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 1, 2019

I want to like this place, but seems like there's always something that has bothered me or let me down. I've been eating here off and on since it first opened as Old 27 Grill. It's a neat little building and the outdoor space where bands play is really nice when the weather's good, but the indoor section always feels dark and a little icky. Sanitation is not a high priority, judging by some of the things I've seen over the years.

Since the change to Bill-E's, the capitalize on their house made great bacon (which is apparently available for sale both from the restaurant and in some local markets), the menu's been tweaked to ditch some of the less popular items.

The best things on the menu are meat-based. The bacon, the pork belly, the fish sandwich, the Dixie Chic sandwich. They make a big fuss about the Comeback Sauce, but it's always seemed really bland and flavorless, like a mayonnaise that forgot the funk.

Of the non-meat items, I do like the pimiento cheese appetizer, and I always try to get the fried green beans as a side since their fries tend to be too greasy and soggy (but when they're not, they're like Five Guys but better.)

Service is usually only barely adequate. Maybe it's different outside but the servers working inside seem to be local teenagers with little developed personality. They seem to lack the training and professionalism of a typical server, even by the standards of this laid back locals kind of joint.

Last but not least, the sweet tea is barely passable. Even Yankees would think something is bad about it.

Overall, there's a lot of potential here: the food can be good if the kitchen is on the ball, but more often than not they seem to be goofing off and screwing up orders. Granted, I've only been here a dozen or so times over the last few years so maybe I just have record setting bad luck, but seems like every time, SOMETHING happens to mar the experience.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 14, 2019

Had the original hamburger with bacon. The bacon was as good as advertised. Good casual place. No need to dress up in this old establishment.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 29, 2019

We recently met friends here for dinner. If you want fancy this is not the place. If you want good food this is the place. All six of us had something different from salads to chicken to burgers. All was good. Then only negative is I thought service was a little slow. But it wasn't a problem. Our server was very nice, helpful, and friendly. There are plenty of choices on the menu. We would eat here again.

Date of visit: July 2019