“Did not meet it's usual standards”
Review of Saltwater Grill

Saltwater Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Saltwater Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 112 Restaurants in Fairhope
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Outstanding among Fairhope, Alabama restaurants, enjoy an upbeat, unique, and casual experience, at Saltwater Grill, while dining on fresh local seafood.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Did not meet it's usual standards”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have eaten here several times and it is usually very good. The atmosphere and attention to the dining experience make it easy to no leave The Grand for dinner. Last night I order simple fried shrimp, my husband had a combo of fried shrimp and oysters. Forgive me, but when you live in Alabama you know and are used to fresh seafood. I was not served fresh gulf shrimp as advertised. It was frozen, breaded shrimp. Shame on the chef. I am rating a 3 instead of a 0 because I KNOW they can do so much better.

• Visited August 2013

Birmingham, Alabama
“Poor excuse for a restaurant at The Grand Hotel”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is actually located in Point Clear at the Grand Hotel and not in Fairhope. While the water views are always wonderful here, the Saltwater Grill has gone down hill in a big way. The theme of the place is "fresh" seafood but there is nothing fresh about it. We ordered Red Snapper as the "fresh catch of the day" and were assured by our server that it had just been caught locally. What we got was a thick lump of fish that looked nothing like snapper (which usually has much thinner filets), was overcooked, was not fresh and tasted very "fishy," and could not be cut with the knife or fork provided. When we complained and asked if we could get a piece of fish properly cooked, the manager suggested only that we order something that was not fish. This indicated to us that there was not an edible piece of fish in the place. Sure enough, we talked to several other guests, all of whom had similar experiences at the Saltwater Grill. Stay away from this place and visit the nearby Wash House restaurant instead. You won't have the views, but you will get some of the best fish and steaks around (we ate there the next night and were very pleased).

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank AlBeachFan
Baltimore, Maryland
“Seafood in a Grand Style”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I took my Aunt out for Dinner at The Saltwater Grill while visiting Alabama. They started us off with a cast iron pan of fresh, hot cornbread that was delicious. My wife had the Grouper, my Aunt had the Red Snapper and I had the vegetarian special. All three of us thought it was very good food and a special restaurant with great service and lovely surroundings. Would love to return for a meal in day light to enjoy the view.

• Visited December 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Overpriced”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The view was spectacular so that is the one plus for this restaurant. However the food is just average and nothing special. Not a lot of choice of selection on the menu and a whole section on the "macaroni and cheese"......very weird. The food left a lot to be desired and the prices are crazy. The Grand Dining Room (which is much higher end and right beside it) is cheaper with better portions and creativity....makes no sense. You could do a lot better at the other restaurants and while the food is not terrible when you get the bill it will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank lvgoliath
Helena, Alabama
“Fresh Seafood while looking at the Bay”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Saltwater Grill is one of the dining rooms at Marriott's Grand Hotel, Point. It features fresh seafood, although you can have chicken or beef - but why? I stepped outside my usual grilled fish and had the
"JUBILEE SEAFOOD PASTA...$19.95 PENNE PASTA LOADED WITH FRESH LOCAL SEAFOOD, PEPPERS, ONIONS, GREEN TOMATOES, SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS & SPINACH WITH A SPICY CREAM SAUCE,"

quoting from their menu. It was delicious, loaded with fresh shrimp, scallops and crab. Just enough spice in the sauce to satisfy me. Everyone at the table had to have a taste. My husband enjoyed his blackened seafood, but did sneak the occasional bite from my plate.

I had the baby greens salad ($5.95), my daughter and son-in-law ordered the fried crab claws, and my husband the gumbo ($8.95.) The salad was larger than I had expected, a good value for the price, excellent vinaigrette - I ate every bite. The crab claws were light and delicious, the breading did not overpower the crab taste.

My daughter had one of the daily fresh fish specials, soft shell crabs and pronounced them excellent.

Our service was good - attentive to needs, but not intrusive. All in all a very pleasant experience, overlooking Mobile Bay at sunset. (And I so like their program to use sustainable resource seafood, especially the redfish, which was overfished in the Gulf a few years ago.)

• Visited July 2012

Been to Saltwater Grill? Share your experiences!