“Okay food, sub par service.”
Review of R Bistro & Pastry

R Bistro & Pastry
Ranked #3 of 116 Restaurants in Fairhope
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

My wife and I chose R bistro for a date night. We had the spinach and artichoke dip for an appetizer. This would be the highlight of the meal. My wife had gumbo for her entree. She made the comment that the gumbo did not have any shrimp. I had a steak with fries. The peppercorn sauce for the steak was overpowering. The french fries were nothing spectacular. My real problem was the service and the atmosphere. My drink glass was empty half of the meal. It took us around ten minutes to be acknowledged by the waiter. The whole meal took around 1 hour and 45 minutes. We also had a considerable wait for our check to return. The problem with the atmoshphere is the noise. This is definately not a great place to have a quiet dinner with your loved one. The room is small and everyone's voices echo off the walls.

2  Thank mapacho

Reviewed August 23, 2014

My husband loved his shrimp and cheese grits so much the first day that we came back the next and loved his shrimp pasta too. Not being a seafood person, the first day i had a sandwich which was ok and the next time a salad that was good. The bread pudding was the best! We enjoyed our server Lisa and the chef came by each time to ask about our meal. Very nice touch.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

The shrimp and grits are the best. I love the crawfish gravy. The specials are also just as spectacular, recently I had the crab stuffed avocado. It was very light, but satisfying. My favorite specials so far are the duck étouffée and the fried catfish. I also have enjoyed their key lime tart and carrot cake. Their pastries are always so delicious.
The Sunday Brunch menu is phenomenal. Gets a bit packed and loud at times, but I really don't mind since the service is really great. The chef comes out to check on your meal, so that always makes it more special!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Really great presentation and fresh food and individually prepared. Just a great experience. I want to go back for dinner but reservations will be a must.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

This restaurant's chef and food is A-1!! It is absolutely the best in Fairhope no question.

However, the seating space is very small & tight....definitely NOT family-friendly!! Servers are working in tight spaces, and seem to be doing "double duty" as they struggle to get by each other, so service is not always pleasant or timely.

As long as you know the situation before you go, then it is absolutely worth a fantastic meal.

1  Thank Catmomx1

Been to R Bistro & Pastry? Share your experiences!