“Excellent food, generally good service - a great place to branch out.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cocina

La Cocina
Ranked #66 of 111 Restaurants in Fairhope
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Foley, Alabama, USA
“Excellent food, generally good service — a great place to branch out.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

La Cocina is anything but traditional. Sure, you've got your standard tacos, enchiladas and burritos, but with a little "real old Mexico" flair. There are also more traditional choices, like lengua and tripa and mole and enchiladas potosinas.

Me, I'm happy with the burrito tapatio with chicken and a massive glass of fresh, strong and really sweet tea. But anything you choose (short of steak - never get steak at any Mexican restaurant!) is a good choice and you won't be disappointed by flavour. Be sure to skip the refried beans for something more special. Both the charros and black beans are a real treat!

Service is generally good but there are some servers who are just not very much on the ball. It's VERY laid back during the off hours, so service can be an issue if you're used to the much more attentive style are some other restaurants, but with food this good I can forgive the long wait times. Also, the atmosphere is pretty but very loud, especially with lots of children in the dining room. They love to hear themselves scream!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank CrackedLCD

Salmon Arm
“Deserves better reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I'm surprised by the lukewarm reviews. No one, for example, mentioned how neat the place is inside. The backs of each booth are carved and painted in lovely scenes and the interior is warm and woody. OK, you don't eat the atmosphere, but the food is darned good, too. The beans actually have some flavor and aren't just the usual mush, and the idea here is quality rather than overwhelming you with gobs of cheap cheese and rice. The salsa is fresh and tasty, and every entree I've had is delicious. The prices are good and the service friendly. I like it.

• Visited May 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
“Took 45 minutes to get food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have been to La Cocina four or five times before. The food has never been great but not horrible either. We have been once before when the service was bad but last night was completely unbelievable. Our waitress was good. We ordered and waited and waited.... the waitress came back three times, said she was sorry and said she was going to check on our food again. After 30 min. my young child started crying saying he was hungry. We got up to leave. A girl stopped us and said she would handle it. She sent the waitress over who again said she was sorry and said “I have told them and told them”. In another 15 our food arrived COLD. By the way, my child who was very upset got two very small chicken fingers and about 10 fries. I saw the waitress go up to a man and a woman, who are the ones that work the register, the waitress appeared to be very upset as she talked to them. She was flapping her arms and pointing. She came back several times and said she was sorry. But the waitress is the only one to say sorry or to come to the table. Others customers were getting up and leaving by now. The waitress brought the bill and said the manager was going to "make it right". The food was horrible, I ordered a chicken quesadilla. I do not know what I got but it was not chicken. The meat was brown and had a strange smell. My husband ordered steak nachos. His nachos had two pieces of meat on them. The waitress came again and said again “I am so sorry, I promise we make it right”. As we went to leave the lady that took our ticket asked how it was. My husband told her we waited 45 minutes for our food. She said "45 minutes, really, are you sure?” He told her yes and that the waitress had already confirmed it had been that long. She then said “but how was your food?" I told her it was terrible. She said "really, I don't believe you". She gave no discount and would not honor one of the BOGO card from Fairhope School. I have never in my life been treated this bad in a restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
“pretty decent.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

The best thing on their menu, IMHO, are the "authentic tacos." You must try the Taco El Pastor and the grilled chicken tacos.

• Visited August 2011