“Oyster's and Only Oysters”

Wintzell's Oyster House
Ranked #16 of 113 Restaurants in Fairhope
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wintzell's never fails to serve top quality Oyster's and this trip was no different. But that is where the positives end. The table we were seated at was dirty, we had to request that it be cleaned. We ordered the oyster sampler as well as a crab cake for appetizers. Again, I can not say enough about the quality of the oysters. Unfortunately less than 4 minutes after our appetizers were served the table was bombarded with the rest of our entrees. Food was literally piled over the table as the sampler platter is on a fairly large serving tray. Had everything been delicious we would have enjoyed picking through the chaos. Instead the crab cake was served on a heap of wilted lettuce with so much remoulade that it was impossible to determine the true taste of the crab, My daughter's seafood dish was really overcooked to the point that everything was a cheesy mush and my red beans and rice had so much pepper (cheap version of cajun I guess) seasoning that I picked out the chicken and left the pasty beans, sausage and rice behind. I am yet to order anything from Wintzell's menu that has the same level of quality as their oysters so now I say if you are seeking a real dining experience and you want something besides oysters you might should consider somewhere else.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had never been to a Oyster House and we selected the Trigger Fish. It was dry and although it was a luncheon special, there just wasn't too much good about it.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We had such a great experience we ate here twice. Reasonably priced with daily specials. Our waitress was so helpful with our travel weary toddler. Thanks Margie!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great food, I can't speak to everything on the menu, but the oysters are fantastic. The deck seating in the evening is wonderful.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We came in at 8pm and had 12 people with us. They took a moment to get us seated, but we were able to walk around and look at all the signs. Loved it. Then we received our appetizers- fried green beans and fried pickles, man they were good and the sauce must be their own stuff because it had a different but good taste. I had raw oysters and then a fish platter. The raw oysters were perfectly chilled and wonderful. The fish platter was great, I just got too full off all the other items!!!!