“Fantastic Restaurant and Bar”
Review of River City Grill

River City Grill
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Eufaula
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Hand cut steaks, fresh fish, pasta, sandwiches, salads, and full cocktail bar. Nightly dinner specials. We are OPEN for lunch from 11:00 am- 2:00 pm daily EXCEPT SUNDAY. We CLOSE between lunch and dinner every day. We REOPEN at 4:30 for dinner Monday-Friday!!
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I decided to take a trip to Eufaula last weekend based on the River City Grill web site. It was everything as presented and more! Starting with the bar, bartenders Robbie and Christina and one of the owners, Sarah. Coming into a small town like Eufaula, one is a little intimidated as everyone knows each other and thought we would be treated like strangers. That truly is the furthest thing from the truth. Starting with Robbie, who is very outgoing and gregarious and his beautiful wife Christina, who is subdued compared to her husband, we were made to feel very welcomed. Then Sarah, introduced herself, and again reinforced the welcome feeling. After a few drinks at the bar, Sarah seated us at a nice table in the dining room.
The dinners we ordered were marvelous. I ordered the 12 oz Ribeye steak which was so tender, I did not use my knife to cut it.
The steak was cooked exactly as I asked and the flavor was beyond my wildest expectation. My wife had a pasta dish of which the name excapes me but I can tell you, she ordered the same thing the next night. Overall, I would compare this establishment to Cheers of TV fame.

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

We drove to Eufaula to eat here after a friend recommended we try it. The food was great. The atmosphere wasn't what we had expected for a "nice" restaurant, however. The room was very bright. No candles or "mood lighting." We ordered a bottle of wine which was set on the table before us. After about five minutes we realized that they expected us to pour our own wine. It's not a place to go if you want to have an intimate/romantic dinner. You will find a tasty and inexpensive meal here, though.

RCGrill, Owner at River City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thanks for your informative review. Please let it be known that it is NOT ACCEPTABLE to have a server drop off a bottle of wine, and disappear. The service you experienced was substandard, tacky, and WILL NOT be repeated.
In regards to your comment about the expectations of a "nice" place, I feel I need to comment. The atmosphere has intentionally been made less formal, as to appeal to a greater number of potential diners in the market area.
We have been stigmatized as "the most romantic", and expensive. Out-of-town hunters, fisherman, and the most of the locals will stay away in droves from something they perceive as romantic, and expensive. I appreciate the disappointment of something less than the quiet, mood-setting ambiance that you were hoping for, but unfortunately, that expectation describes a "special occasion only" restaurant that cannot be supported by the local market.
Thanks for making the trip to Eufaula, and I hope you will make it again.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great food and the locals were so fun to be around and helpful! If you're reading this "lady with the hairpiece," thanks for the tourist tips. If you are in Eufaula, you MUST eat here!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stopped in driving from ATL to Destin. Food is awesome. The only problem was that we got seated in the bar area, it was LOUD!, I was traveling with my two young children and due to the noise level it was hard to enjoy the meal. Avoid the bar area with a family and you will enjoy.

1  Thank 4birdz
Reviewed June 23, 2012

First the bad. They sat us right next to the bar. You can see the other customers in the nicer areas of the restaurant, and frankly it was an uncomfortable table without a table cloth like the other areas. I asked twice to sit elsewhere and they were having none of it. Not sure if it was the baby and 6 year old, but they are well behaved avid restaurant goers. Finally I spoke to someone and let them know we had traveled long and far to eat here and they put us in the back, far from others. Looking beyond this, it was wonderful! Next time I booking a room nearby so we could enjoy some wine with the meal.

Servings were large, but it was really great quality food, great taste fresh and interesting recopies. Most nice restaurants would serve these great dishes and would serve half the amount. My point is that you could fill up on the appetizers.

I have pictures of our meals. We had the mushroom appetizer that was really good, but way too much for everyone and it made eating the main meal difficult. I would say to definitely get this but don't eat too much. Ask for a half plate or a doggy bag.

The shrimp and grits were some of the best we have ever tried. Great Southern food and a don't miss if you have not had. The shrimp had a good flavor and did not taste like farm raised junk.

I got the pork chops and I love pork chops. These rank as some of the best. Look at the pictures and you will see. I was so stuffed but could not resist eating them all they were so good.

The soup they served was served cool and I had them re-heat it, but it tasted so wonderful I looked past the error.

I have a picture of the kids meal that was very good with hand cut fresh fries.

Service is what you would expect from most small Southern towns, but is something you must deal with if you want to eat some very good food. Nice enough, but poorly trained and unfortunately not well versed in the menu. I specifically said not to bring out the salad and soup before we finish the appetizer, but she did anyway. Therefore, order each dish when you are ready for it if you want to dine and not feel rushed.

This place would be phenomenal in a city like Atlanta with a better trained staff, but sadly it is in a small town where it does not seem appreciated. The atmosphere outside the bar area is very nice with table cloths and nicely set tables. I can't wait to return and try something new.

1  Thank Stompper

Been to River City Grill? Share your experiences!