“Found a GEM here!” 5 of 5 bubbles

63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Found a GEM here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I visited Lakepoint Resort July 14-17, 2010. We stayed in a king room in the Lodge overlooking the lake. I had wanted a cottage, but they were all taken on the dates I needed. I do want to try the cottages next time, but I'll reserve farther in advance. This trip was only planned one week before.

Nearly all of the park facilities look brand new, having been recently renovated. Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom and closet were large. Everything worked perfectly. However, there are no free toiletries and no clothes hangers provided, but that was no big deal for us. Our only problems were poor wireless internet signal at times and a flat sheet instead of fitted that didn't want to stay tucked.

The lodge was really beautiful! Everything from the lobby to the bathrooms to the patio was new, clean, and spacious. We ate at the lodge everyday for breakfast and dinner. The breakfasts were amazing! Everything was consistently cooked perfectly! Dinner the first 2 nights was very good. We tried the marinated chicken, baby back ribs, and fettucini from the menu. The ribs were a bit overcooked, but otherwise everything was good. The third night, we opted for the weekend seafood dinner buffet. I found it a bit disappointing, mostly fried foods and not as fresh after sitting in the warming trays. The staff was extremely friendly, especially in the lodge dining room. The service was excellent from every staff member.

We ate at the Marina Grill for lunch one day. It was pretty good. They do mostly burgers cooked to order. Though they advertise ice cream, they don't serve it anymore. The Grill is only open Thurs-Sat. There are two boat ramps at the marina. The one we launched from badly needed repaving, but it was the most convenient. One puzzlement was that there were several jet skis and some fishing from the boat ramp, though both things were forbidden according to signs posted.

On the weekdays, the park was very quiet and practically deserted at times. One day we had the beautiful pool and its nice facilities all to ourselves after a morning of boating. At breakfast we had the only boat at the lodge pier. We had the large lodge patio to ourselves most evenings. There was plenty of available parking for our truck and boat. Things were busier on the weekend when we left. The park tends to be a favorite for family reunions and other groups on weekends.

The lake is beautiful and the resort is equally beautiful. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a quiet getaway, especially on weekdays. It's very family friendly and a fisherman's paradise.

3 Thank Terri P

pensacola
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Avoid if you are looking for a quiet vacation getaway.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

Visited Lakepoint Resort State Park over the 4th of July. What a mistake!!
The place is nicely renovated, the staff is extremely cordial, helpful and friendly except the staff in the Waters Edge restaurant were evidently short handed, but our waitress never lost her cool nor the smile on her face.
The PROBLEM: place seems to be geared to family reunions, not individual travelers.
There must have been at least 6 reunions, one alone had 60 members, being bused in from I don't know where. The rooms are extremely clean, new furniture and new flat screen TV but the door slamming from the group downstairs was so loud and frequent that you couldn't hear the tv. (When the doors weren't slamming, the a/c was so loud that you couldn't hear the tv).
Also, the room was extremely dark. 3 lamps to the whole room, thought I might read, but not enough light unless I wanted to sit in the bathroom; (which was not my intention by bringing a book on vacation).
The food the first evening was great. Wanted to eat at the lodge restaurant again the second night but, because of all the reunion catering that was going on, there was only barbeque buffet and my husband & I did not find it appetizing. They could not recommend any other place to eat, so we drove the 7 miles back to town and found a jewel of a restaurant.
Ended up leaving a day early due to all the kids, noise and door slamming going on from the reunions.
My advice: don't go on a weekend. Met some really nice residents from Eufaula while playing golf and they verified that the lodge is mostly filled with reunions, weddings etc and they were surprised we got a room.
We had gone for an anniversary trip and a little peace and quiet and to destress. Ha, what a mistake.

1 Thank foreverakid
Birmingham, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our trip to Lakepoint was WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

We have been going to Eufaula fishing every year since 1973.We had not stayed at Lakepoint in many years.A friend had told us about the MAJOR renovation that the state had done to the park,so we decided to stay there this year. It was wonderful! The rooms at the lodge are so spacious,the beds very comfortable,tile floors in the bath room,everything looks brand new.We ate at the restaurant several times.The food was very good and everyone nice and polite.Being able to eat your meal and view that BEAUTIFUL sunset over the water at the same time was so enjoyable.Oh and our 5 year old grandson loved the new pool! Which, by the way, has a life guard on duty. With the fishing,swimming and good food all right there,we didn't even have to go into town.(Except to see some of the beautiful old homes)We had a very relaxing vacation and plan to return real soon!

1 Thank Lin4bama
Dothan, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This park is wonderful!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

My family recently stayed in the lakeside cottages at the Resort and because it was so nice we decided to stay a couple extra days. The staff is very nice and always helpful,
the cottages were spacious and clean very up to date. We did have a problem with the
telephone one day. But maintenance was right on top of it as soon as we reported it.
The Lodge has just reopened after being closed for a two year renovation and is beautiful, the hotel rooms are very nice also. The restaurant serverd very good food, but no room service! they do have everything on thier menu available for take out. About the
only negative thing was the pool complex was a week away from being complete, I think it was set to open on Memorial Weekend. All in all we have found a nice Resort to take our family that is affordable and my kids love it!!!

2 Thank iam4lsu
Americus, Georia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“What? No swimming? Kids?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

First of all, my family and I went to the camprounds at Lakepoint at least once a year from about 1980 until 1993. Many precious childhood memories ensued.

Now I have my own family and we rented a cabin in July 2008, hoping to bring back that Lakepoint summer magic. It wasn't a disaster, but apparently the park does not cater to families with children anymore. The swimming areas at the campground and the marina are now closed. The playround, which used to have a slide, monkey bars, etc., now only has swings. It seems that park officials are deliberately trying to reduce the number of kids in an attempt to attract the elderly, fisherman, and golfers. In order to swim, you have to drive about 5 miles to a place called "Old Creek Town." The place is OK, but neglected. Again, it seems that the folks in charge could care less about swimmers. Also, 5 miles miht not seem like much, but this requires loading up three small kids and a vehicle when the park used to allow swimming. The lode was undergoing a substantial upgrade and therefore the pool was closed as well.

Don't get me wrong. The place is beautiful and I spent some of my happiest childhood moments there, but those in charge seem bent of allowing the park to run itself by not working hard to attract families with kids. Did the kids notice? No, but Dad did.

5 Thank Mateo_Grande