“Temporarily Closed”

Birmingham, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Temporarily Closed”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Drive to Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge and noticed the grass had grown up and no cars in parking lot. Sign on the door read temporarily closed.

Visited May 2013

Athens, Georgia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Alone with nature”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Even though I was here on a Saturday, I had the place to myself, with nothing but the sky, water, fields, woods, birds, and breeze, for company. Very peaceful and relaxing. I saw some gorgeous hawks (harriers?) which I have to look up in order to identify. Nice viewing platforms and lazy, winding roads to observe nature. It has a nice variety of settings, to attract various types of animals, with mixed pine and hardwood stands, open, mowed & un-mowed fields, marshes, ponds, and of course, the lake. I was a little disappointed in the Nature Trail, which all of a sudden just ended, on the edge of a field, with no signs or blazes or path, showing which way to go. There was a lot of debris from fallen trees and I could not determine where, or if, there had ever been a trail or path through or beyond that area. It's late winter, so they probably haven't had time yet, to do their annual maintenance. Make sure to bring binoculars with you, so you can really enjoy the entire experience, as the vistas are expansive. If you like photography, bring a tripod and a good zoom. There is no visitor's center or facilities there, so you need to plan meals and bathroom breaks accordingly. I am glad I went and would recommend it anyone else interested in being immersed in the quiet and solitude nature has to offer.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank BinAthensGA
Headland, Alabama, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“awesome place for birders”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I love this place one of my best birding areas just be careful around the water it is home to some very large alligators and they hide very well in the vegetation even when you are looking for them walked up on a couple of 12 plus footers myself just backed up from them and went off in a different direction and left them alone but did admire these awesome creatures from a safe distance go to see them a long with the huge amount of birds in this refuge never went and not spotted a new bird huge amount of hawks especially Red Tails and Red Shoulders in this refuge and eagles are not that uncommon lots of warblers , bluebirds and waterfowl had quite a few of my life list birds spotted in here up close and personal on a slow quiet walk you can spot most of the local woodpecker species even the Pileated thought I had spotted an Ivory Bill first time I saw one they are huge but it was just the Pileated an awesome bird in his own right a lot of reptiles in this place also spotted bobcats and most of the mammals on my list also It is a park that must be walked to be really enjoyed I am a dog owner and every now and then take my German Shepherds here for a long walk in the non water areas but they are well behaved and don't harass the wildlife have seen some people let their pets run wild in here this is a wildlife refuge not a dog park pleas do not let your dog run wild in here disturbing the wildlife most of the birds are here for a migratory break or nesting and I have seen dogs chasing off huge flocks of them if you can't control your animal please leave it at home or with a sitter people come here to observe the wildlife especially the birds a 150 mile round trip for me and it is not fair to the visitor or wildlife for you to let your pet run wild only complaint I have about this place

Visited February 2013
2 Thank ebelflower
Dothan, Alabama
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Solitude - birders - photo opportunities”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stay at Lakepoint (Cabins, Hotel, Campsites) and roam around with a vehicle. Visit the Bird-watching platforms or the wildlife platforms walk around and see some of the wildlife and if lucky perhaps a gator or two. Close your eyes and imagine that you're in Africa, on a Savannah - wetlands abound.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank Maddog895
Opelika, Alabama
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nature: The Soul Nurturer”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I am a Eufaula Native so am a little partial. It is beautiful and peaceful on
the lake and many natives and retirees have boats. Many good places to
picnic,cabins to stay in, and a lovely motel with great food!

Visited April 2012